Enjoy starts sales, white-glove delivery of AirPort routers & fourth-gen Apple TV

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Enjoy -- the white-glove delivery service launched by former Apple retail head Ron Johnson -- on Tuesday began sales of two more Apple products, including AirPort routers and the fourth-generation Apple TV.

In the case of an Apple TV, an expert/delivery person will plug it in and connect it to Wi-Fi, bringing an extra HDMI cable in tow, according to Enjoy. By default Apple doesn't provide a video cable with the set-top, and Enjoy customers are still asked to buy their own.

The expert will also get necessary apps and online accounts set up, and ensure that any other Apple devices are connected. The person will then demonstrate the Siri Remote, including the range of possible voice commands.

Enjoy still has an extremely limited stock and reach, operating only in New York City and San Francisco. Once something is ordered off of the company's online store however, shoppers can choose where to meet, and deliveries can happen as fast as four hours. Setup and training lasts up to an hour.

Other Apple products available through Enjoy include the iPad Pro, iPad Air 2, and iPad mini 4. The iPhone 6s and 6s Plus are available through a partnership with AT&T.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Uh - interesting - how are they expecting to make money on this?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Uh - interesting - how are they expecting to make money on this?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Dude gets fired from Apple retail, builds company to circumvent Apple retail?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    jonljonl Posts: 210member
    Kill JC Penney, become roving Apple butler?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    If memory serves me correctly I think you'll find he was fired from JCP not Apple.  He was hugely successful at Apple.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Johnson_(businessman)
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 6 of 10

On a side note, those Airport routers could certainly use an update. The Extreme is still using the 802.11ac draft specs and quite expensive for the limited feature set. I'm wondering if Apple will bother with 802.11ac Wave 2 or skip over to 802.11ax next year. I'd love to see new routers soon though.

But back on topic, this seems like a strange service. Paying to have someone come to your house to set up, what I consider, some of the easiest devices to set up.

I guess there's a market for anything these days.

• Reply 7 of 10
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    No he left Apple Retail which he built from the ground up for a shot at being the CEO of JC Penney. Bad move. Building something fresh with no baggage is far more his cup of tea. I like it and felt this was where Apple was headed at one point. I think the backed off as they grew so quickly. This way, he can support them and make money and they don't have to get distracted. If it succeeds and grows to enough locations, Apple can buy them and pull him in house. 

• Reply 8 of 10
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    jonl said:
    Kill JC Penney, become roving Apple butler?
    can't kill a corpse...
  • Reply 9 of 10

On a side note, those Airport routers could certainly use an update. The Extreme is still using the 802.11ac draft specs and quite expensive for the limited feature set. I'm wondering if Apple will bother with 802.11ac Wave 2 or skip over to 802.11ax next year. I'd love to see new routers soon though.

Yeah, I had to buy a Cisco RV042G "small business" router to fill in the AE's missing gaps. :(
  • Reply 10 of 10
    If memory serves me correctly I think you'll find he was fired from JCP not Apple.  He was hugely successful at Apple.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Johnson_(businessman)
    Yes, you're right — I was half awake and obviously thinking of John Browett.