Otterbox debuts $130 Defender case for iPad Pro, new Air 2 and Mini 4 cases

Posted:
in iPad
Accessory maker Otterbox launched three new iPad cases on Tuesday, most notably an iPad Pro version of its rugged Defender case, costing a whopping $129.95.

The case uses a triple-layer design, consisting of a rubber slipcover, a hard plastic shell, and a built-in screen protector. While not marketed as waterproof, the case also incorporates port covers to block liquids and debris.

Otterbox added that the product shouldn't interfere with the Apple Pencil, and in fact includes a holder for the stylus in its detachable stand/front shield.

For the iPad mini 4 the company has a new Symmetry case. Unlike the Defender it uses a folio design, ditching a screen protector but adding a wraparound lid. Minis can be propped up in multiple stand positions, with the option of rotating into a portrait or landscape view.

Symmetry for iPad mini 4 / Profile for iPad Air 2
Symmetry for iPad mini 4 / Profile for iPad Air 2

Finally, the Air 2 now has the Profile case. While similar to the Symmetry, the Profile is thinner, and doesn't support rotation. Likewise, instead of wrapping around, its lid snaps shut.

The new Symmetry and Profile cases both come in four color combinations, and cost $59.95 and $49.95, respectively. The Defender for the iPad Pro comes in just a single color, black.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Otterbox cases are likely no better or worse than any others but I don't get why anyone would use cases like this in the first place. 

IMO it's a special kind of fool who purchases the latest thin, lightweight, mobile device and then wraps it in an unnecessary bulky case that makes it less thin, less lightweight and less mobile.  It's the equivalent to buying a Ferrari and wrapping the outside in cardboard so it doesn't get dinged and the seats in scratchy old canvas so the leather doesn't get stained.  The car will indeed remain pristine underneath, but it will look like garbage and be uncomfortable to drive the entire time. 
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Otterbox cases are likely no better or worse than any others but I don't get why anyone would use cases like this in the first place. 

IMO it's a special kind of fool who purchases the latest thin, lightweight, mobile device and then wraps it in an unnecessary bulky case that makes it less thin, less lightweight and less mobile.  It's the equivalent to buying a Ferrari and wrapping the outside in cardboard so it doesn't get dinged and the seats in scratchy old canvas so the leather doesn't get stained.  The car will indeed remain pristine underneath, but it will look like garbage and be uncomfortable to drive the entire time. 
    Some of us work in industrial/construction trades, where dustproof/dust-resistant covers are a must. Should I just buy a $30 RCA tablet instead, and replace it every 3 months once it gets destroyed?
    redgeminipadamonfnolamacguy
  • Reply 3 of 15
    That's a lot of money for a case that is NOT waterproof. 
    damonf
  • Reply 4 of 15
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Great response rhinotuff. I also find the iPhones, iPods, and iPads too darn slippery without a case. I periodically switch between a small set of cases every now and then on my iPhone just for variety and to spice things up a bit. Why not? It's not like I wear the same clothes every day so why stick with one unchanging case style for the life of the device? The naked iPhone is cool I guess but I'm more into the screen, function, and performance than the case esthetics. 
    damonfauxionolamacguyrhinotuff
  • Reply 5 of 15
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    For backpacking having some protection beyond a ziplock for my phone is a necessity, even tucked into my pack and shutoff. I don't leave expensive items in a trailhead car and I don't take the same into the backcountry on long routes unprotected. 

One size sort of never fits all. 
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 6 of 15
    rhinotuff said:
    Some of us work in industrial/construction trades, where dustproof/dust-resistant covers are a must. Should I just buy a $30 RCA tablet instead, and replace it every 3 months once it gets destroyed?
    This is an article in a general Apple-interest blog, addressed to group general, Apple-interested readers. 

Exactly what proportion of those do you think work in the industrial/construction trades? 
  • Reply 7 of 15
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member
    rhinotuff said:
    This is an article in a general Apple-interest blog, addressed to group general, Apple-interested readers. 

Exactly what proportion of those do you think work in the industrial/construction trades? 

Why are you picking on him?  He was refuting a comment that essentially stated that no one has use for such a case for "the latest thin, lightweight, mobile device" and demonstrated through his occupation that not everything is about "thin, lightweight".  Some people need to use iOS devices (apps) in harsh environments.  So to protect our investment, we have to resort to cases that are not always ideal to keeping the device thin.  I don't work in an industrial/construction trade, nevertheless I've requested a dustproof case for my old iPad Mini 2 for Christmas.  I have need to use it outside in both dusty and wet environments, and even though it's no longer my main iPad, I still want to keep it clean and damage-free.   jfc1138's post about needing a case while on a trail backpacking is another example.  So, just because rhinotuff replied to a post containing an overly broad "anyone is a fool for buying a case for their thin Apple device" statement doesn't mean that others also don't have uses for a case beyond the industrial/construction trade. 

Your comment would have been better served directed to the original poster: "This is an article in a general Apple-interest blog, addressed to group general, Apple-interested readers. Some people probably have need for such a case and find a 'damage-free' Apple device more important than a damaged 'unprotected-because-I-need-it-thin' Apple device".  And you should respect rhinotuff for his interest in keeping his Apple device investment protected and in good working order.

edited December 2015 rhinotuff
  • Reply 8 of 15
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    dewme said:
    I also find the iPhones, iPods, and iPads too darn slippery without a case.
    Agreed.  While I have no need for a case as rugged as the Otterbox, I always buy one of the thin silicone cover cases.  Doesn't add much bulk and makes the iPhone/iPad far easier to handle.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 9 of 15
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

A great many people do not buy the iPhone because it's thin, and lightweight. Your Ferrari analogy is flawed because most Ferraris aren't used as daily drivers, and they're also not used for work. 
    nolamacguyrhinotuff
  • Reply 10 of 15

do you use floor mats in your car (Ferrari or otherwise)? why not just let the car take the use, absuse, and signs of wear?
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 11 of 15

rhinotuff said:

what absolute nonsense. the point being made is that all of us are different and live different lives. what works for an office working who commutes everyday may not work for other people in other fields. 

i still can't believe how many techies confuse what works for them into what should be for everyone. simple stuff.
  • Reply 12 of 15

rhinotuff said:

what absolute nonsense. the point being made is that all of us are different and live different lives. what works for an office working who commutes everyday may not work for other people in other fields. 

i still can't believe how many techies confuse what works for them into what should be for everyone. simple stuff.
    rhinotuff
  • Reply 13 of 15
    auxio said:
    dewme said:
    I also find the iPhones, iPods, and iPads too darn slippery without a case.
    Agreed.  While I have no need for a case as rugged as the Otterbox, I always buy one of the thin silicone cover cases.  Doesn't add much bulk and makes the iPhone/iPad far easier to handle.
    yup. i only need my 6 to slip out on my hand while taking it out of pocket one time. silicone case is a must for me.
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 14 of 15
    rhinotuff said:

I don't own an Apple Watch, but I don't go trolling the Apple Watch articles to point out that they shouldn't exist.  Maybe we could go to a crowd-voting system to see if an article can be published.  If it can't get a majority vote it must not be worthy of the website...   I don't chime in much, mainly because of narrow-minded trolls that tend to spew how their personal needs or wants outweigh the masses.  

I'm not saying Apple should mandate the case, but I know more than a few people that will buy them.  The same thing goes for any peripheral or device, nothing is one size fits all.
  • Reply 15 of 15

Point of fact, Otterbox cases certainly are better than some and worse than others, particularly depending on the application. Like any case, they have pros and cons depending on the user and application.

Regarding a special kind of fool, what type of person would assume mobile devices are purchased solely because they're thin and lightweight. He might qualify as a SKF. If someone wants a mobile device with some of the latest high performing tech that supports the iOS platform, they, though no fault of their own end up with the latest thin, lightweight device. So they should change platforms because you're offended by a thin device in a bulky case? SKF mode, noted.

Someone buying iPads or iPhones because of their Twiggy thinness will likely want a thin case or wrap to offer some grip, if not protection, and not an Otterbox or other heavy duty case.  If you see someone with an iPad or iPhone in such a heavy case, it could just be that they bought the device based on function, not form.

rhinotuff