Apple releases first public beta of iOS 9.2.1

Posted:
in iPhone
Just a day after developers got their hands on the first build of iOS 9.2.1, Apple issued the same software to members of its public beta program for testing.

Members of the Apple Beta Software Program can download the beta over the air through the iOS Settings app, or via iTunes. Interested parties can sign up for the beta program for free at Apple's website.

The software is likely identical to build 13D11, issued to developers on Wednesday. Users are warned that devices updated to iOS 9.2.1 cannot be restored to earlier versions of iOS.

Changes made in the update remain unknown, but the identifier of 9.2.1 indicates that the forthcoming update is likely a minor update with bug fixes and security updates. Apple typically saves new features and major changes for a point-one release.

iOS 9.2 was released to the public last week. It boasts improvements to Apple Music, Apple News, Mail, iBooks, and support for Apple's Lightning to SD card reader.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Hit update to 9.2... Would be gun shy about updating after this... 
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Updated to 9.2.1 just fine. Meanwhile I had to erase my iPhone for the second time in six months due to issues, so...perhaps the beta channel is actually safer. 
  • Reply 3 of 11
    While they're at it, I really hope they get rid of the pop-up reminders to upgrade.  I like to wait a few weeks before I upgrade in case any bugs show up. I'm quite happy with 9.1, and having to click twice thru the reminder each day is annoying.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Updated to 9.2.1 just fine. Meanwhile I had to erase my iPhone for the second time in six months due to issues, so...perhaps the beta channel is actually safer. 
    I really don’t understand people like you. I have NEVER EVER had to erase any iOS device for any reason. Updates always make it better. I have a hard time believing crap like this.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    @tuxmask Danbury Fair Mall?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Still no ATT Wi-Fi calling on my ancient iPhone 5s.  I guess it ain't gonna happen.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    lkrupp said:
    I really don’t understand people like you. I have NEVER EVER had to erase any iOS device for any reason. Updates always make it better. I have a hard time believing crap like this.
    So are we to assume your experience is the definitive case? I don't think so. Never erased any iOS device for ANY REASON? Have you kept all previous devices or do you sell/pass on with data intact or maybe you have only owned your current device? Absolutes are overused and are seldom more than an excuse for not looking into something fully i.e., ignorance IMHO. You (@lkrupp) on the other hand probably "have a hard time believing crap like this."
  • Reply 8 of 11
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Anyone seeing a fix in this beta for the annoying thumbnails being wrong (out of date or blank) on task switching and Safari tab switching?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    From an IT perspective this update is coming to fix an MDM issue. We use MobileIron in our corporate environment. 9.2 broke a couple of features not only in MobileIron but many other systems as well. In most cases the devices were not able to check back in with the Core system. Also broke the ability to download or manage apps. I'll be installing this very soon on beta to test it out. My phone has not checked in since I installed 9.2 on my 6S+
  • Reply 10 of 11
    It's always nice to see others try it out before the main release and even then I hold back a few days just in case.
    So everyone else feel free to download and find all the bugs.
    Cheers
  • Reply 11 of 11
    =============
    jjfergie said:
    From an IT perspective this update is coming to fix an MDM issue. We use MobileIron in our corporate environment. 9.2 broke a couple of features not only in MobileIron but many other systems as well. In most cases the devices were not able to check back in with the Core system. Also broke the ability to download or manage apps. I'll be installing this very soon on beta to test it out. My phone has not checked in since I installed 9.2 on my 6S+
    ========================================= Can now confirm this update fixes, at least on MobileIron, the problem of the managed apps not downloading and the phones not checking in. Works as it's supposed to again. Hopefully they will release this soon so I can get all of my users updated and working again.
    edited December 2015