The Beatles expected to stream on Apple Music, Spotify, others starting Christmas Eve

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited December 2015
Legendary rock group The Beatles are likely to make their streaming debut next week, according to a new report, which suggests Apple Music subscribers will be able to access the band's iconic catalog starting on Christmas Eve.

Beatles

The Beatles discography will arrive on "most, if not all" streaming services on Dec. 24, according to sources who spoke with Bloomberg. After debuting this summer, Apple Music is already one of the largest streaming subscription services available, which would suggest it would be a part of any such agreement.

Further supporting the fact that Apple Music would be among the first to carry The Beatles is the fact that the band's digital catalog debuted exclusively on iTunes back in 2010. That landmark agreement came after years of legal wrangling over a trademark dispute between Apple and The Beatles's parent company, Apple Corp, that was ultimately settled in 2007.

The Beatles are the biggest artist missing from the Apple Music catalog, though other high-profile holdouts remain. Among them are Prince and Garth Brooks, though other digital opposers like AC/DC and Radiohead are onboard.

The current largest subscription streaming service is Spotify, also making it a likely candidate to be among The Beatles's launch partners on Christmas Eve.

Apple's iTunes Store landed a video exclusive with The Beatles earlier this month with "1+," a collection of 50 completely restored and remastered presentations from the Fab Four. The video collection features videos for all of the group's No. 1 U.K. and U.S. singles, as well as 23 more, including alternate versions and other rarely seen clips.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Reminded me again what makes Apple Music better than all the others?
    thewhitefalconcnocbui
  • Reply 2 of 17
    The Eddy Cue Touch. 
    rogifan_oldProf_Peabody
  • Reply 3 of 17
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    never mind

edited December 2015
  • Reply 4 of 17
    I didn't know Steve Jobs was in the Beatles.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    My Grandad will be so happy!
    Prof_Peabody
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Taylor Swift concert.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    All those years and they still make millions off The Beatles. Money for life.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Why isn't this sh** Apple exclusive?!?!!??!?!
  • Reply 9 of 17
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    cali said:
    It may be. Just wait. 
    applepieguy
  • Reply 10 of 17
    cali said:
    Why should it be?
    cnocbui
  • Reply 11 of 17
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,273member
    Well, since you asked: 1. It was cheaper than any other service for a family subscription. The others had to adjust to match. Further, the family subscriptions are completely treated as full, separate accounts apart from billing. 2. The human-curated "For You" recommendations are tremendous. Blows the pants off Pandora. This is, by far, my favourite feature. 3. Though it is usually not quite to my taste, Beats 1 is fun to listen to (I prefer Julie to the others). The exclusive speciality shows from Dre, from St. Vincent, and yes -- from Elton John (whaaaaa) are flatly great. 4. The service is well-integrated into Apple's main store, making it easy to buy things once I find I want them (I'm a quaint old fellow who still buys music instead of just renting it). 5. Apple Music Festival. Album debuts and video exclusives. That sort of thing. Apart from that, it's a lot like Spotify I guess. Pays a bit better, but not significantly much more. You could say, even taking all of the above into account, that it's just a bit above the average for a subscription music service, and I would not argue it. But those things above are enough for me to give it the edge.
    applepieguyargonaut
  • Reply 12 of 17
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Well done on the balanced article AI.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Nothing personal to anyone, but I think if you're still listening to the Beatles, you're kinda "doing music wrong."  Either that or your definitely a senior.  
    I mean they broke up 45 years ago.  Their first hit record was 55 years ago.  So much fantastic music has been written and performed since then.  
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Nothing personal to anyone, but I think if you're still listening to the Beatles, you're kinda "doing music wrong."  Either that or your definitely a senior.  

I mean they broke up 45 years ago.  Their first hit record was 55 years ago.  So much fantastic music has been written and performed since then.  
    Yeah, there have been a few good things "produced" in the past 45 years, but no one as prolific, and all around enjoyable as the guys.
    A lot what people accept as music (crap) today does not reflect talent, mastery of a musical instrument or even creative writing skills.

applepieguyargonaut
  • Reply 15 of 17
    I've been trying to figure out how to play "I've Got a Feeling" on my 6-string for 30 years. Just figured it out a few months ago...Starts in A with a simple walk down. Yeah! :)

Working on the lead to "Get Back." That will take another 30 years! :)

Best
  • Reply 16 of 17
    buzdots said:

Yeah, there have been a few good things "produced" in the past 45 years, but no one as prolific, and all around enjoyable as the guys.
    A lot what people accept as music (crap) today does not reflect talent, mastery of a musical instrument or even creative writing skills.

Agreed, well said.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    buzdots said:

Shall we all get off your lawn now?