T-Mobile accused of downgrading YouTube video quality without consent

Posted:
in iPhone
T-Mobile is reportedly downgrading the quality of YouTube clips viewed by customers, even though the service isn't a partner in T-Mobile's Binge On program.

"Reducing data charges can be good for users, but it doesn't justify throttling all video services, especially without explicit user consent," a YouTube spokesman remarked to the Wall Street Journal.

Binge On allows some T-Mobile subscribers to watch services like HBO, Netflix, and Sling TV without the data counting towards their monthly cap. With the option on, however, video is also downgraded to 480p (DVD) quality.

The Internet Association -- of which Google is a member -- claimed that Binge On "appears to involve throttling of all video traffic, across all data plans, regardless of network congestion."

T-Mobile declined to address the video degradation problem, but told the Journal that YouTube's exclusion from Binge On is the result of a technical obstacle. The software used to flag videos as exempt from data caps can't always identify YouTube clips, T-Mobile said, adding that it has talked with YouTube but may need more time to fix the issue.

Binge On and programs like it are under scrutiny by the U.S. Federal Communications Commission, which is concerned that they may violate net neutrality principles. Services excluded from Binge On could be said to have second-tier status on T-Mobile's network, and thus an inherent disadvantage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    Legere should be tried at The Hague for this crime against humanity.
    dasanman69
  • Reply 2 of 26
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Do people really that much time watching Netflix while on cellular, that this so-called "Binge On" is even needed?
    Why are you not on WiFi?
    And if you're somewhere that isn't near WiFi, aren't you already doing something more interesting than watching ****ing television?
    jony0latifbpIanMC2cornchiptallest skil
  • Reply 3 of 26
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    pmz said:
    Do people really that much time watching Netflix while on cellular, that this so-called "Binge On" is even needed?
    Why are you not on WiFi?
    And if you're somewhere that isn't near WiFi, aren't you already doing something more interesting than watching ****ing television?
    Some people don't have or won't pay for WiFi; my brother is in a location that Cable and DSL are quite expensive, so as a Sprint Unlimited user, he plugs his iPhone into his television and watches Netflix, YouTube and Amazon Prime.

He used 26 GB one month but sometime later, Sprint came out with a throttling policy after 23 GB. 

dementuschikanjbdragonredgeminipa
  • Reply 4 of 26
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    tmay said:
    pmz said:
    Why are you not on WiFi?
    Some people don't have or won't pay for WiFi; my brother is in a location that Cable and DSL are quite expensive, so as a Sprint Unlimited user, he plugs his iPhone into his television and watches Netflix, YouTube and Amazon Prime.

He used 26 GB one month but sometime later, Sprint came out with a throttling policy after 23 GB. 

No.

None of that makes any sense. If you don't pay for some kind of WiFi and use cellular instead, you're an idiot.
    thewhitefalcon
  • Reply 5 of 26
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    From what I have read turning off "Binge On" fixes the issue. It seems to make sense if you want "Binge On" than the behavior described is what you want regardless if youtube is "officially" part of the program and if you don't want to use "Binge On" turning it off avoids the problem.

I am not sure I understand what the issue is here. 

-kpluck
    jbdragon
  • Reply 6 of 26
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Probably way less than 1% of the US would have places were cell phone data plans are cheaper than the cheapest internet data plan avaialble.
    So, that idea makes not much sense for well, just about anyone.

Around here, its not even close, I can get unlimited internet at almost the highest speed for $75.
    I could get 5G of mid range speed for about $25.

The cheapest pure data LTE plan for tablets and access point is $40 for 5G; that's not even a cell phone plan.
    Getting to 20G would be very expensive.

• Reply 7 of 26
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,361member
    cornchip said:
    Legere should be tried at The Hague for this crime against humanity.
    When they're through with him let the SPCA and Russian DMV have a few swings at him too.
    cornchip
  • Reply 8 of 26
    pmz said:
    tmay said:

No.

None of that makes any sense. If you don't pay for some kind of WiFi and use cellular instead, you're an idiot.
    Why? In my area my LTE is much faster then my wifi. Especially when my household has several devices running on the wifi at the same time. I disconnect my iPhone a lot to ease the traffic while at home so I use a good bit of data. I'm on a unlimited plan so it really doesn't bother me, but if o wasn't, binge-on would be great for me.
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 9 of 26
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    pmz said:
    tmay said:

No.

It's an unlimited data plan, so a smart move.

Our family plan, 5 iPhones is $265, all unlimited data. and it would be more like 250 except my niece added Sprint insurance to her plan
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Get over it, Google. I'm just happy that I can watch youtube without my data plan being charged. Go after verizon and at&t for not allowing any free streaming.
    jbdragon
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Stuff like this is why T-Mobile sucks ass.  
  • Reply 12 of 26
    pmz said:
    Why are you not on WiFi?
    The issue is YouTube, not Netflix.

My son watches a lot of streaming video on the school bus. Since we have unlimited data (T-Mobile), he's been burning around 15GB watching ESPN on the school bus, and occasionally hosting his data-limited friends wifi on the bus.

FWIW, with our "Simple Choice Unlimited" plan, I am seeing 1080p YouTube video on my Moto X (today). I haven't checked his iPhone 5S yet, but I have a feeling this throttling is only for data-limited plans. The unlimited plan is a bargain, at $100 for the two of us, I can add my daughter in a couple months for $10, and we'll still be unlimited at un-throttled LTE speeds.

Regarding wifi use, I only connect to wifi at home and work. Everywhere else, I prefer to stay LTE because the bandwidth is fine, and I'm not connecting to so many unknown networks.
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 13 of 26
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    Comcast already downgrades the bitrate of digital HDTV broadcasts, effectively reducing the quality of the pictures.  Why?  Because they can.

It's no surprise that mobile providers would somehow start interfering with the bit-rates/compression of any delivered video under the guise of "saving data" without the user consent or notification.  

Lying, cheating, stealing bastards, they are.  They're taking our bits.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    pmz said:
    Why are you not on WiFi?
    I know it's terribly difficult for some tech people to envision other people having other use cases than your own...but here's an easy one for you: cross country trips in the car. can be nice to have some video for the kids. 
    jbdragonredgeminipa
  • Reply 15 of 26
    pmz said:
    Why are you not on WiFi?
    I know it's terribly difficult for some tech people to envision other people having other use cases than your own...but here's an easy one for you: cross country trips in the car. can be nice to have some video for the kids. 

Yeah, well, my wifi portable NAS has 2T of well, just about everything in the world (6000 45 minutes episodes at normal speed, 3000 movies) ...
    That I've loaded up (but, kids listen to the same thing 100 times straight so you don't really need all that much).
    That's a hell of a lot of children's programming BTW; by the time she'd gone through that drive, she'd be ready for high school probably.
     I think I'm covered if I go cross country I don't have to depend on the whim of T-Mobile and anyone else really.

I often just leave mine in my purse and connect to with whatever device I have at the moment.

Live video is not really something I need all that much; that's the only time were getting a LTE makes any sense to me.
    The nearly 100% drivel on youtune I can wait to see that.

edited December 2015 dugbug
  • Reply 16 of 26
    I totally understand the purpose of this function, but doing it without permission is just crazy.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    pmz said:
    Why are you not on WiFi?
    Bing on is free to tether so you are not restricted to "mobile" per se
  • Reply 18 of 26
    The current generation of kids, being always connected, will never understand the real purpose of those little wooden and glass structures Superman always ran in to to change his clothing... 
  • Reply 19 of 26
    first world problems are amazing, im trying hard to reduce the quality of most videos i watch on you tube that i even prefer just to download itincase i wanna watch it again to try reduce using my 10 gig cap in the land of the simple in Zimbabwe.
    dementuschikan
  • Reply 20 of 26
    foggyhill said:

Yeah, well, my wifi portable NAS has 2T of well, just about everything in the world (6000 45 minutes episodes at normal speed, 3000 movies) ...
    That I've loaded up (but, kids listen to the same thing 100 times straight so you don't really need all that much).
    That's a hell of a lot of children's programming BTW; by the time she'd gone through that drive, she'd be ready for high school probably.
     I think I'm covered if I go cross country I don't have to depend on the whim of T-Mobile and anyone else really.

I often just leave mine in my purse and connect to with whatever device I have at the moment.

Live video is not really something I need all that much; that's the only time were getting a LTE makes any sense to me.
    The nearly 100% drivel on youtune I can wait to see that.

as I said, it's hard for some of you to envision other people (non techies at that) having different use cases than your own. I don't know anyone with a wifi portable NAS in their purse. 
    dementuschikan