Poll: What Apple goodies did you receive this holiday season? [Update: Poll fixed]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2015
AppleInsider wants to know what Apple products you received during the 2015 gift giving season, whether it be an iPhone and Apple Watch combo, a powerful iPad Pro or an iPod shuffle. Answer below and we'll reveal this year's hottest Apple gifts next week.

Earlier this month AppleInsider asked readers to vote for their favorite note taking and news apps for iOS, both of which turned out to be Apple's first-party offerings. This week we want to find out which of Apple's latest devices was the most gifted over the holidays.

As it is for many consumer electronics companies, the December quarter is hugely important for Apple. For the iPhone maker, new hardware cycles join forces with the holiday shopping season to create a perfect storm of rabid demand, generating massive quarterly revenues like last year's record-breaking $74.6 billion performance.

Apple's raked in $18 billion in net profit for its first fiscal quarter of 2015, the biggest result in company history, largely on pent-up demand for big-screened iPhone models. Last year, China, the land of big-screen portables, helped pump $16.1 billion into Apple's coffers.

The Chinese market holds great promise for Apple and the company is responding in kind with heavy investments put toward building out its brick-and-mortar retail network. With regional sales surging -- up 99 percent year over year for the most recent quarter -- CEO Tim Cook said he expects China to one day surpass the U.S. as Apple's biggest market.

Despite continued growth, strong sales in China and a series of worldwide product debuts, pundits are concerned Apple is slowing down. Most recently, FBR & Co. analyst Daniel Ives cut iPhone 6s sales projections for the current quarter to 75.5 million, up only slightly from last year's blockbuster 74.5 million unit sales. FBR is the latest firm to correct down on information that key component suppliers cut order estimates moving into 2016.

Update: The poll below was updated at 7 p.m. Eastern with selections omitted due to machine error. Please re-enter your response.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    So where l's the Apple Watch in the poll?
    AustinCableapplesauce007
  • Reply 2 of 56
    And iPhones other than this year's models?
  • Reply 3 of 56
    I am guessing the Watch is considered under Apple Accessories?
  • Reply 4 of 56
    None of the above. I got a $100 Apple Store card, which I will be putting toward a Milanese loop for my Apple Watch.
    supadav03lolliverchristopher126
  • Reply 5 of 56
    With all the hype about how big an opening weekend Star Wars had, you could do an article about how big a launch weekend for Apple is: it blows movies out of the water. 
  • Reply 6 of 56
    We skipped Christmas this year and after I submitted my purchases to that poll I could see why. We bought (2) iPhone 6S+, iPad mini 4, iPad Pro with the pencil + keyboard Smart Cover and regular Smart Cover and even purchased the Watch sport model.

I would have bought a new laptop but when I took my 17" laptop in for Apple's $270 "tune-up" program when I got it back there was a laundry list f replacements. Holy crap!  It was working perfectly. I just wanted them to see if anything looked in need of repair before it turned 5.

They replace the LCD screen, put in a new logic board, replaced my 5 year battery, replaced the track mouse (because the battery swelled a little pushing against it slightly, damaging the edges) and even replaced my brand new 16GB ram upgrade saying "what you bought wasn't optimized for your unit."  But more shocking than everything they replaced, they didn't charge me the $270 "tune-up" fee because evidently my LCD screen was part of a recall I chose to not take part in. The handed me an invoice shoeing $0.00 owed. I refused to sign it. When I tried to pay them they said "anytime a recall is performed everything else replaced during the recall repair is then free".  WTF?   I tired to make them take the money saying "that's not fair. I didn't know there was a recall I want to pay for what you replaced". They finally got a manager involved who also wouldn't take my money. Geez I just wanted to do the right thing here!

Anyway, with all of the above, I decided to forfeit Christmas and give what I would have spent (tree, presents, etc...) to the Humane Society as a large donation, along with a big bag of toys. I already had Christmas all year long. 

Hey where's the poll results?  
    I was just curious what others bought. 
    Happy Holidays guys!!
    edited December 2015 norm dlugatchronnjustadcomicscoolfactordbbcredgeminipachristopher126lostkiwi
  • Reply 7 of 56
    I didn't get, but I did give: an iPhone 6s Plus. 
    christopher126
  • Reply 8 of 56
    Nothing, but several extended family members got Fitbits. I wonder if we'll see an iPod nano/shuffle moment for Watch or if Apple will just be content to let Best Buy and Target discount it.

EDIT: I see the top free app on the App Store is Fitbit so it's pretty clear they had a good Christmas. Does Apple go after Fitbit or do they consider it too niche and just make Watch even more compelling/worth the price. In that 60 minutes interview Jony Ive said there was a "fabulous roadmap" so I'll be interested to see what that means for Watch.
    edited December 2015 christopher126
  • Reply 9 of 56
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    BG82 said:
    I am guessing the Watch is considered under Apple Accessories?
    No . It's in "other category " and not even in here.
  • Reply 10 of 56
    What happened to the Apple Watch? Need to pull this poll and resubmit it with the Apple Watch, Accessories, Apple gift cards in order for poll to provide correct data. 
  • Reply 11 of 56
    maxitmaxit Posts: 222member
    iPad Mini 4, to replace my iPad Air (given to my little son)
    christopher126
  • Reply 12 of 56
    AppleInsider said:
    AppleInsider wants to know what Apple products you received during the 2015 gift giving season, whether it be an iPhone and Apple Watch combo, a powerful iPad Pro or an iPod shuffle. Answer below and we'll reveal this year's hottest Apple gifts next week.

Earlier this month AppleInsider asked readers to vote for their favorite note taking and news apps for iOS, both of which turned out to be Apple's first-party offerings. This week we want to find out which of Apple's latest devices was the most gifted over the holidays.

As it is for many consumer electronics companies, the December quarter is hugely important for Apple. For the iPhone maker, new hardware cycles join forces with the holiday shopping season to create a perfect storm of rabid demand, generating massive quarterly revenues like last year's record-breaking $74.6 billion performance.

Apple's raked in $18 billion in net profit for its first fiscal quarter of 2015, the biggest result in company history, largely on pent-up demand for big-screened iPhone models. Last year, China, the land of big-screen portables, helped pump $16.1 billion into Apple's coffers.

The Chinese market holds great promise for Apple and the company is responding in kind with heavy investments put toward building out its brick-and-mortar retail network. With regional sales surging -- up 99 percent year over year for the most recent quarter -- CEO Tim Cook said he expects China to one day surpass the U.S. as Apple's biggest market.

Despite continued growth, strong sales in China and a series of worldwide product debuts, pundits are concerned Apple is slowing down. Most recently, FBR & Co. analyst Daniel Ives cut iPhone 6s sales projections for the current quarter to 75.5 million, up only slightly from last year's blockbuster 74.5 million unit sales. FBR is the latest firm to correct down on information that key component suppliers cut order estimates moving into 2016.

There are 2 new Apple watches in my house I assume we are going with the accessories as the official categories. 
  • Reply 13 of 56
    How come we do not see the poll results after we contribute to it? If you want more people to contribute more often, you should show results after their entry
    nolamacguyanantksundaramrtdunhamlostkiwibonobob
  • Reply 14 of 56
    I bought myself a Magic Trackpad 2. I got it on sale at Adorama for only $100 with free shipping (sorry, the Black Friday sale is over). I love love love the Force Touch. But I was using a vintage-2000 Apple Pro Keyboard.

It was my backup keyboard I received with my old PowerMac G4 MDD "WInd Tunnel" machine. I never used it, it was in storage, but I set it up when my beloved Apple Bluetooth Keyboard died.

But the big USB keyboard does not work well with the low-profile Magic Trackpad 2. So I had to get a Magic Keyboard 2 to match it. I hate hate hate the new Magic Keyboard 2. Why oh why doesn't Apple make a full size wireless keyboard with the ten-key pad and separate arrow keys? Call it a Magic Keyboard Pro. You could use the same design as the full size USB keyboard. It has enough room that it could hold extra batteries, so Apple could even put in backlighted keys!

pichaeltallest skiljustadcomicscoolfactor
  • Reply 15 of 56
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    An Apple TV 
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 16 of 56
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Already have everything I want. Gave an iPad Air 2 (even if 3 may be coming soon). 
  • Reply 17 of 56
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 287member
    iPhone 6s for $1.00 so much better than the old 5. Sold the iPhone 5 to Best Buy for a $200 gift card and bought my collage daughter a 64GB ATV4 with it.
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 18 of 56
    I received a 64GB ATV4 and got my wife an Apple Watch Sport (gold with antique white band, extra midnight blue band) and my kids a 32GB iPad Air (first generation). Got my eye on an iPad Pro for next year :-)
    gregg thurman
  • Reply 19 of 56
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    Nothing. I already own every Apple product but the iPad Pro. And I agree with you guys: The Apple Watch, a brand new category for Apple, should have been listed as a standalone device in the poll.
    Hope all of you are enjoying the Holiday season!
  • Reply 20 of 56
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    Apple TV, the new trackpad and dividends.
    cornchip