Prague's unofficial 'Apple Museum' boasts rare items among 472 exhibits

Posted:
in General Discussion
Prague's newly opened "Apple Museum" claims to be the largest private exhibition of its kind, featuring rare items like the Macintosh TV, Steve Jobs business cards from NeXT and Pixar, and an Apple Lisa.

Credit: Reddit user "elirunning85"

Photos from the museum were shared earlier this month by Reddit user "elirunning85." Tickets to the Czech Republic location are priced at 11 euros, or about $12 U.S.

The official website for the Apple Museum notes that Prague is the "first city" where visitors can see the exhibition, suggesting that it may travel elsewhere in the future. It features a range of fully functioning Apple computers ranging from 1976 until 2012.

The museum is located in historical buildings near Husova and Karlova streetsin Prague's old town. It's also planning to add a restaurant dubbed "Steven's Food" that will feature vegan raw foods apparently preferred by Jobs himself.

In all, there are 472 exhibits on display, according to Ars Technica. Proceeds from the museum are donated to charity, according to the official website.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    I wonder how many beige boxes from Apple's meandering days they have on display. They were very underwhelming.

Also, they should have classic games like Shuffle Puck for people to play.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    It's like 15 minute from my place, but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble or money.  If they had one of the super rare original Apple computers it would be much more attractive. I saw plenty of Apple IIe's and old Macs in the school computer labs from 1985-1998.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    "Steven's Food" WTF??? Barf!

As to Apple's "beige boxes"; every single one of them was head and shoulders above anything else on the market. (Hell... even the various shades of beige themselves).
    They certainly contained unique "Firsts". Almost every single one of them.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Not many, as Apple stopped making "beige boxes" in 1987. Apple went to "Platinum" with the introduction of the SE and II, swapping the Plus from beige to Platinum mid-production (AKA the "Platinum Plus"). beige = a light brown/tan color. "Platinum" = a silvery gray color (though it yellows in sunlight).
  • Reply 5 of 8
    noivadnoivad Posts: 186member
    @BobSchlob Not all of them… the LCs (pizza boxes) were wimpy but were aimed at the low end — an ultimately losing strategy at the Jobs-deficient Apple. I’ve had almost 20 Macs since the 80s & the LCIII that was give to me was only good for web browsing and the most basic tasks•The SE, IIci, Quadra 800, midlevel G3s & G4s were all great workhorses, but they did release some pretty weak machines.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I wasn't in that league by a mile but until we down scaled our home in our semi retirement era I had a pretty comprehensive collection from Apple ][, Apple /// with Profile,  Mac Plus, SE 30, various beige boxes such as Mac II fx, Quadra 840 av, and so on through first iMac, iBook, MacBook and Macbook Pros and several cheese grater Mac Pros right up to the new Mac mini and latest 6 core Mac Pro cylinder (which I love to bits).  I wanted to keep everything (for some reason I cannot explain) but my wife insisted we needed a damn guest bedroom!  I am now down to about six Macs sadly.
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 7 of 8
    I've also had some 20 various Macs, but most of my collection was ruined by oxidized pram batteries I neglected to remove : I  ..In Prague, by coincidence : )
  • Reply 8 of 8
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    noivad said:
    @BobSchlob Not all of them… the LCs (pizza boxes) were wimpy but were aimed at the low end — an ultimately losing strategy at the Jobs-deficient Apple. I’ve had almost 20 Macs since the 80s & the LCIII that was give to me was only good for web browsing and the most basic tasks•The SE, IIci, Quadra 800, midlevel G3s & G4s were all great workhorses, but they did release some pretty weak machines.
    Those pizza boxes had incredibly innovative designs. Easy access to internals.
    They certainly released more models than they needed to, but they all had unique and useful features that certainly no PC box had.