Apple's 'iPhone 7' lineup said to be waterproof, sport new antenna-concealing tech

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2015
Catcher Technologies will help supply chassis components for upcoming iPhones said to be both waterproof and use "new compound materials" to conceal their antennas, according to a new rumor.

Catcher will likely supply about 30 to 35 percent of chassis shipments for the new hardware, Taiwan's Commercial Times reported on Tuesday citing work by a research firm, as summarized by DigiTimes. That would keep the company as Apple's largest chassis partner.

Although the possibility of a waterproof iPhone design was previously rumored, no other sources have mentioned antenna changes. Apple could conceivably be hoping to integrate the part into the chassis itself.

The iPhone 6s and 6s Plus are already more water-resistant than their predecessors, thanks to an added gasket and various silicone seals. Going waterproof, though, would involve a thorough redesign, including figuring out how to seal off ports, switches, and buttons.

The suggestion of new materials might also be consistent with rumors that Apple is considering a non-metallic chassis. Since the iPhone 5 Apple has tended towards an all-aluminum design, but other materials might improve structural stability and/or reduce manufacturing costs. Apple in fact adopted tougher 7000-series aluminum for the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, but presumably at extra expense.

Apple could potentially launch a 4-inch "iPhone 6c" as soon as April, and new flagship iPhones earlier than the traditional September timeframe. It's only the latter that are expected to be waterproof.
technologist

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    Waterproof? Not likely. Water resistant? Maybe.
    cornchip1983
  • Reply 2 of 39
    All I want is for them to figure out a way to get rid of that ugly plastic antenna strip on the back and make a truly all metal iPhone. That's all..
  • Reply 3 of 39
    Antenna lines were my least favorite part of the 6 design. In the 60 Minutes footage of Apple's design lab the model Jony is holding in his hand is just a solid piece of metal with no antenna lines. I'm sure Apple designers hated those antenna lines as much as everyone else.

edited December 2015 1983SpamSandwichProf_Peabodychiacornchip
  • Reply 4 of 39
    I hardly ever think of the antenna bands because mine's in the Apple leather case...

Water resistance really isn't a concern for me either but I suppose it's a selling point. 
    canukstormredgeminipa
  • Reply 5 of 39
    Dude.  Just wondering why there is a photo on this story???  How about commissioning an artist to draw a picture of something that has no input holes.  Woof.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    don't care about antenna lines, any more than I did about the breaks in the 4 when they leaked and people claimed it couldn't be real. it was, and it didn't matter one lick. 

do want a water resistant phone. not sure why anybody wouldn't. 
    dws-2redgeminipa
  • Reply 7 of 39
    zompzomp Posts: 62member
    Being a runner and mountain biker, we spend quite a bit of time in the rain and more water resistance would be a bonus. Apple Watch holds up very well in the rain and the shower.
    dws-2technologistradarthekatiqatedoredgeminipa
  • Reply 8 of 39
    All I want is for them to figure out a way to get rid of that ugly plastic antenna strip on the back and make a truly all metal iPhone. That's all..
    Those are mutually incompatible things though.  An all-metal chasis would not be not radio-transparent.  Physics is physics. 
    Solinoivadredgeminipa
  • Reply 9 of 39
    I hardly ever think of the antenna bands because mine's in the Apple leather case...

Water resistance really isn't a concern for me either but I suppose it's a selling point. 
    People dropping their phones in the toilet is a real thing.  ;)  I know several people who did this (I was not one of them).
    slprescott
  • Reply 10 of 39

People dropping their phones in the toilet is a real thing.  ;)  I know several people who did this (I was not one of them).
    I've heard that the number one and number two repair reasons for iPhones are:

1) drunk and dropped on pavement (screen smashed)
    2) drunk and dropped in toilet (waterlogged)

I've seen this multiple times from different sources so although anecdotal, it seems likely to be true to me.  
    Of course staying sober and in control of one machinery would also be a solution. 
  • Reply 11 of 39
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 276member
    I like the idea of further protecting the phone from water. The other big issues for me are battery life and protecting the screen in a drop. Otherwise, the iPhone 6s is pretty fantastic. Oh, I'd also like them to move the on/off button to the top of the phone (I always hit it when I'm going for the volume button, especially when it's in my pocket), but I doubt  that's going to happen.
    iqatedo
  • Reply 12 of 39
    My wish would be that the iPhone can open a full page screen page notice that someone on a favorites list has sent a text message. It would be kind of a screen lock. It would be a way of sending a priority notice that someone can't ignor. 
    If a phone can receive a text or a phone call, it ought to be able to prioritize and allow some calls or texts to have a priority. Hey, kids call home..... Screen locked. Interested in others ideas. 
  • Reply 13 of 39
    I've heard that the number one and number two repair reasons for iPhones are:

1) drunk and dropped on pavement (screen smashed)
    2) drunk and dropped in toilet (waterlogged)

I've seen this multiple times from different sources so although anecdotal, it seems likely to be true to me.  
    Of course staying sober and in control of one machinery would also be a solution. 
    From what I've been told, for women the main cause of #2 is it falling out of their purse when they set it on top of the tank, while for men, the main cause of #2 is urinal use.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    90% users have case on the phone. As much as I didn't like these lines, they didn't bother me since I bought the phone. However, I believe that Apple will match the antenna band color with the chassis in the next model.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    My wish would be that the iPhone can open a full page screen page notice that someone on a favorites list has sent a text message. It would be kind of a screen lock. It would be a way of sending a priority notice that someone can't ignor. 
    If a phone can receive a text or a phone call, it ought to be able to prioritize and allow some calls or texts to have a priority. Hey, kids call home..... Screen locked. Interested in others ideas. 
    There's something called customized ringtones or text tones or even vibration pattern assigned to specific contacts which are available even with feature phone to let you know who's calling. I guess some people just don't bother to learn.
    edited December 2015 redgeminipa
  • Reply 16 of 39
    Boom, Samsung will go back with waterproof Galaxy 7. Anyone wants to bet on that?
  • Reply 17 of 39
    noivadnoivad Posts: 186member
    Water resistance would be great•I know more than a handful of people that have destroyed phones with water mishaps. I’d really like to see a flexible (less breakable screen) using the new glass by Corning. I haven’t broken a screen yet, but again: I’ve seen (and repaired) more than a handful of iPhones with cracked screens. I keep mine in a TPU case which absorbs impact and gives a few mm of clearance over the glass on the rare occasion I drop my phone. In my experience, the 2 biggest mobile phone threats are drops that either shatter the screen or water damage from drops or spills. Button failure is a distant third.
  • Reply 18 of 39

That's why the new iPhone tag line is "Where ever you can 'go' your iPhone can go too."
    gregoriusmelijahg
  • Reply 19 of 39
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Waterproof? Not likely. Water resistant? Maybe.
    Well that's always the case isn't it? "Resistant@ because there are always limits. My Rolex dive watch was "resistant" to 300 meters iirc. 
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 20 of 39
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    If they do somehow figure out how to design a completely waterproof iPhone, do we think the price of AppleCare will decrease or do we think that Apple will continue to charge the same price and just enjoy higher profit margins on it because of significantly fewer claims?