Alarm.com's Apple TV app lets users stream HD security video, pan and tilt cameras with Siri Remote

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2016
At CES Unveiled on Monday, smart home solutions provider Alarm.com launched a new Apple TV app that allows users to monitor and interact with live HD video feeds from Alarm.com-compatible cameras directly on their television.

The free Apple TV app integrates with Alarm.com cameras to turn any HDTV into what amounts to a security control center. Once the app is installed and connected to an Alarm.com profile, users can rely on Apple TV's intuitive interface and touchpad Siri Remote to scroll through and monitor live HD feeds from video cameras installed around their property.

"The emergence of new user interfaces is creating opportunities to make our smart home services even more accessible and useful to our millions of subscribers," said Jay Kenny, Alarm.com's SVP of Marketing. "The smart home is about more than just the things it can connect, it's about the user benefits enabled by the technology. We look for ways to leverage new interfaces like Apple TV to make the smart home more useful every day."

In addition to basic monitoring, users can control Alarm.com's pan and tilt cameras with Siri Remote's touchpad. The company offers a few examples of what subscribers can do with Apple TV, including checking on a napping baby, seeing who's at the door, checking up on kids and various security scenarios.

Alarm.com is a comprehensive subscription-based smart home and security service marketing a litany of Internet connected products like smoke alarms, thermostats, cameras, motion detectors and more. In addition, Alarm.com partners with manufacturers of appliances like garage doors and door locks to build in remote access functions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    These are the types of apps AppleTV needs that utilize the hardware in innovative ways.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    I hope that LiveCamsPro or some of the other generic camera viewing apps will be making their way to Apple TV as well.  I'd rather set up my own fleet of inexpensive ($60) IP cams than pay a monthly fee to a third party.

With any luck, the cameras, thermostats, doorbells, garage door openers and lights will all integrate with HomeKit and become accessible and controllable through Apple TV and Siri in the very near future!
    edited January 2016 braderunnerjbdragonnemoeac
  • Reply 3 of 9
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    tenly said:
    I hope that LiveCamsPro or some of the other generic camera viewing apps will be making their way to Apple TV as well.  I'd rather set up my own fleet of inexpensive ($60) IP cams than pay a monthly fee to a third party.

With any luck, the cameras, thermostats, doorbells, garage door openers and lights will all integrate with HomeKit and become accessible and controllable through Apple TV and Siri in the very near future!
    It's 2015. Who pays for monthly services anymore?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    runbuhrunbuh Posts: 315member
    fallenjt said:
    It's 2015. Who pays for monthly services anymore?
    Evidently, people using cameras from alarm.com
    jbdragonafrodrinemoeac
  • Reply 5 of 9
    buckalecbuckalec Posts: 203member
    Cool name - but hardware hasn't evolved  - screams 90's
  • Reply 6 of 9
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    A while back, I searched for an app that would let me view my IP cameras. There were only a few choices - all with horrible reviews. I wish someone would make a high quality IP camera monitoring app for the ATV4 that would work with popular IP cameras. I incorrectly assumed that IP camera monitoring apps would be all over the ATV4 and "smart" TVs and Blu-Ray players by now.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    "Users can, for example, set a geolocation trigger to turn off fan lights, draw the blinds and lock the doors when they leave the house."

I love how all the examples cited by these suppliers assumes everybody lives alone. I can see it now...

Sorry, honey, I leave for work a 1/2-hour before you, but when I left, I automatically lowered the heat, shut off all the lights and set the alarm. That's why the police showed up at 7:30 in the morning while you were in the shower.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 8 of 9
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    mike1 said:
    "Users can, for example, set a geolocation trigger to turn off fan lights, draw the blinds and lock the doors when they leave the house."

I love how all the examples cited by these suppliers assumes everybody lives alone. I can see it now...

Sorry, honey, I leave for work a 1/2-hour before you, but when I left, I automatically lowered the heat, shut off all the lights and set the alarm. That's why the police showed up at 7:30 in the morning while you were in the shower.
    We have a Tado smart thermostat for our central heating and run the Tado app on all our iPhones. The heating goes off when the last person leaves and comes on when the first person gets close to returning home. It would be the same for other equipment.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    mike1 said:

A Swat team showed up... Have to use all those surplus equipment after all (sic).