Another rumor claims 'iPhone 7' will drop headphone jack, gain waterproofing & wireless charging

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple is indeed planning to remove the headphone jack from next-generation iPhones, but will "very likely" be adding features like wireless charging and a waterproof chassis, a new report claimed on Thursday.

The company is collaborating with its usual audio chip supplier, Cirrus Logic, to adapt technology for use with the iPhone's Lightning port, a source told Fast Company. The phone will also allegedly employ new noise-canceling technology from Wolfson Microelectronics, a firm bought by Cirrus in 2014.

Software for the cancelation feature will reportedly be included in headphones as well as the iPhone itself. Third parties wanting to make supporting headphones will have to pay for a license.

The source suggests that people wanting Apple-made noise-canceling headphones won't get them out of the box, but will probably have to buy them separately, possibly from the company's Beats division.

Sacrificing the headphone jack will allow Apple to make the new iPhone even thinner, the person said.

As for wireless charging, Apple allegedly considered the feature for two previous iPhones, but may now be finally ready to implement it. The source didn't say whether Apple would conform to industry standards -- which would allow people to use existing chargers -- or force people to buy into a new proprietary format.

Apple could potentially pull either wireless charging or waterproofing out of the final design, the source cautioned, adding that it will be months before the new iPhone enters production.

The report appears to back recent rumors while also expanding on them with word of wireless charging and native noise cancellation. Wireless charging is a common feature on many high-end Android phones, but Apple has so far stayed out of the space for reasons unknown.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    Apple will advertise it as "water resistant". I highly doubt it will have wireless charging. Only a handful of phones have it now. iPhone won't have it until other phones have next generation of wireless charging. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 2 of 58
    The feature I really want to see is smaller top and bottom bezel's. 

Could care less about water resistance and wireless charging.
    larryaasdasdallmypeoplebraderunnerbobschlobsubbies
  • Reply 3 of 58
    More nonsense about making the phone thinner. Hey media get a clue. There are existing phones plus iPod touch that are thinner than the iPhone 6/S but still use the headphone jack.
    retrogustocnocbuinetmage
  • Reply 4 of 58
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    If it is included at all, of course the wireless charging will be proprietary. And it will be better than what's out there now.

The features I want are a front flash/movie light  so I can Facetime in a dark setting, an optical zoom lens, and a password protected power-off switch - paired with a SIM lock and remote photo taking - so I can find the bastard who just stole my phone. 
    edited January 2016 mnbob11983
  • Reply 5 of 58
    This "report" looks like it is prepared by a fan, who has analyzed Apple's suppliers and purchases, and no by a professional analysts. Anyway, it is ok.
  • Reply 6 of 58
    ronnronn Posts: 654member
    "Apple could potentially pull either wireless charging or waterproofing out of the final design, the source cautioned, adding that it will be months before the new iPhone enters production.

Complete and utter BS, so the above line is added as an out.
    nolamacguymacky the mackycornchipiqatedo
  • Reply 7 of 58
    mnbob1mnbob1 Posts: 269member
    More nonsense about making the phone thinner. Hey media get a clue. There are existing phones plus iPod touch that are thinner than the iPhone 6/S but still use the headphone jack.
    I agree that the analog headphone jack probably doesn't prevent a thinner design except it requires much more depth that uses valuable space that could be used for more battery capacity and other internal components. Personally I would love Apple to increase battery capacity.

The current mini analog headphone jack was based on the 1/4 inch jack on audio components going back decades (the original 1/4 inch phone connector dates back to the late 19th century). The mini jack in it's mono form for consumers goes back to transistor radios that we carried around to listen to the ball games on AM radio. (many of you are too young to know what a transistor radio is, made in Japan, and why we would listen to AM radio. FM hadn't been created yet.) The Sony Walkman made stereo connectors and mini headphones popular. The only change over the years was to add additional connectors within the jack in order to add features like power and microphone.

Since the industry doesn't appear to want to create a new digital standard for headphone connectors that could be used as public domain it looks like each vendor is on their own. The only standard (sort of) is Blue Tooth for wireless listening. The problem is that less expensive phones (read that cheap) don't often implement the full 4.0 standard so the result can be somewhat mixed. The cost of quality Blue Tooth headphones needs to come down to be more affordable.

If Apple decides to use the Lightning connector for headphones it sounds like the cost could be high. Will the new headphones be compatible with previous iPhone models? Apple isn't afraid to make radical port decisions on their products as seen on the iPhone, iPad, iPod, and especially the Macbook line.
    jmgregory1cornchip
  • Reply 8 of 58
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    Interesting. There seems to be a bit of divergence of function, Steve famously released 3 new devices in 2007, one of which was the "wide screen iPod with touch controls." This sort of required the earbuds that came with the previous versions of the iPod to now come with that new product, the iPhone. Perhaps not anymore. Yes, iPhone is still popular for audio output, but it has come a long, long way. If this rumor is true, this is more Apple "Think Differently" kind of move - the kind of thing they are known for. iPhone is intended to be a premium product, and if that means you need to ditch your legacy headphones for a premium feature...then so be it.

They could get very creative about the headphone options by bundling offerings at a discount.
    cornchip
  • Reply 9 of 58
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Never understood the benefit to wireless charging. 1. Makes it impossible to use while charging. 2. Partially charging and then using and then partially charging is horrible for battery life and longevity. Plugging in a lightning connector really doesn't take much effort.
    nolamacguybobschlobcornchip
  • Reply 10 of 58
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    The new iPhone 7 that features wireless charging, a new headphone jack and waterproofing! Okay no, that sounds pretty banal and boring. I'm sure there will be more novelty to the 7.
  • Reply 11 of 58
    The wireless charging thing sounds like pure fantasy to me.  The reason being it's physically impossible to do it without making the phone at least a millimetre or more thicker.  

If wireless charging were in the road map, Apple wouldn't have spent the last few years shaving fractions of millimetres off of the iPhone's thickness, knowing that they are going to have to add a full millimetre back for wireless charging.  What component is there in the phone who's "thin-ification" this year could possibly give them the necessary space to add in wireless charging?  

The way they talk about waterproofing being perhaps "pulled" is also highly suspicious.  Waterproofing is something that affects every component and involves the whole integrated design, yet they talk about it being "pulled" as if there was a waterproofing chip or something that might be left out if time and money didn't permit.  

I would file this whole report under "senseless guessing."
    edited January 2016 nolamacguycornchipnetmage
  • Reply 12 of 58
    mnbob1mnbob1 Posts: 269member
    Apple will advertise it as "water resistant". I highly doubt it will have wireless charging. Only a handful of phones have it now. iPhone won't have it until other phones have next generation of wireless charging.

What makes you think Apple isn't ready with wireless charging? They've already done it with the Apple Watch. What if they have a model of the iPhone 7 that implemented wireless charging, removed the mini headphone jack, and implemented waterproof speakers, mics, and Lightning port. Or even removed the Lightning port and used Blue Tooth for wireless headsets.
  • Reply 13 of 58
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    The feature I really want to see is smaller top and bottom bezel's. 

Could care less about water resistance and wireless charging.

talk about cart before the horse. water resistance solves a real problem for normal people on the street. bezel size is something only phone nerds contemplate online.
    netmage
  • Reply 14 of 58
    I like my iPhone 6s, but there weren't really any killer features that most people considered must-haves.  3D Touch was what Apple emphasized, but I think that many people never use it.  I hope the 7 has features that are more visible and enticing, to drive demand.
  • Reply 15 of 58
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    We have been over this and over this. Wireless Charging is not currently, has not ever been and is not close to being deployed in a consumer product. The technology you are referring to is inductive charging - as Apple correctly states in their Apple Watch materials. It does not eliminate the wire. At best, it could be said to be "contactless."
    bobschlobnetmage
  • Reply 16 of 58
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    So i'm confused. Is Apple forgoing the DAC? Can the lightning connector carry an analogue signal? If it can't, then you'll have to buy an external dac. I personally use one but i'm not the average consumer. 

Maybe they'll scrap the Earpods and implement some Beats Hi-Res buds with 24bit support, noise cancellation and a dac connector. That's the only way this move would make sense. Full court press on audio.
  • Reply 17 of 58
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    koop said:
    So i'm confused. Is Apple forgoing the DAC? Can the lightning connector carry an analogue signal? If it can't, then you'll have to buy an external dac. I personally use one but i'm not the average consumer. 

Maybe they'll scrap the Earpods and implement some Beats Hi-Res buds with 24bit support, noise cancellation and a dac connector. That's the only way this move would make sense. Full court press on audio.
    This is an interesting take on it as well: http://www.loopinsight.com/2016/01/07/the-iphone-headphone-jack/
  • Reply 18 of 58
    Water resistance is high on my list.  Too many times that I'm outside and worried about pulling my phone out in the rain, or walking in the woods with the dogs.  Wireless charging would be interesting if it were actually wireless, but if it involves having to plug in a charging plate, so that you can set your phone on it, it's not wireless.  Could be even more problematic when traveling to have to plug in the charging plate, then find a flat spot to set it and the phone.

Make the phone last 24 hours of mixed use, and I'll be fine plugging it in as needed at night.

Improving and implementing wireless headphones is where Apple should be spending time and money.  Dump the headphone jack, but then make affordable, good sounding, bt or Airplay headphones and I wouldn't have to have the 3 pairs of BT headsets I have now (although I'm really digging the Plantronics Backbeat Pro headset I'm using right now - but they're not really good for walking in the wild).

In this age of wireless everything, having wires connecting phone to headset is almost barbaric.  
  • Reply 19 of 58
    Water resistance is high on my list.  Too many times that I'm outside and worried about pulling my phone out in the rain, or walking in the woods with the dogs.  ...
    That degree of water resistance (walking in the rain) has been in the iPhone for many generations now.  The current one (iPhone 6s) you can even drop in the toilet and if you pull it out within a minute or so, no problem.  
    anton zuykovcornchipnetmage
  • Reply 20 of 58
    Cool. I can predict, too: the next iPhone will finally have the flux compensator. Unless, of course, they decide to pull this thing last sec. See? 

Apart from Apple for sure toying with a lot of ideas what evidence is there that the mentioned features actually are planned for the next gen iPhone?