U.S. Representative Nancy Pelosi checks her Apple Watch on camera during State of the Union

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Save the bs for the political forum. Your idea of corruption and mine are worlds apart. The entire GOP is a clusterfrack of stupid and corrupt.
    Oh please. Look at your fellow liberals and all the scandals over the last few years. Benghazi, Fast & Furious, IRS scandal, Clinton e-mails, Rosengate, spying on the AP, Sebelius, and the list goes on. 
    Please go away bud, most of these are right wing talking points; save it for your right wing drinking parties.
    iqatedomuppetryanantksundarambobschlob
  • Reply 22 of 39
    mac_128 said:
    jfc1138 said:
    Surprised she didn't know about the "Mute for the Day" option....
    I don't think anyone seated in that room, with the exception of Biden and 3rd in line of succession to the presidency, Ryan, were making any pretense about checking messages on their various smartphones. I am a bit surprised about Pelosi given that it's her own parties president, but not unexpected. However, that's one of the problems with the Watch -- the need to reply. Glancing at the time is bad enough, but actually interacting with the watch is kind of rude.

I was at Subway before Christmas ordering a footlong sandwich, and the full time employee behind the counter making the sandwich for me was wearing a Stainless Watch with the Milanese loop band. It really stood out against his plastic gloves. While I was ordering the sandwich, he got a notification, and checked his watch, and responded! I actually couldn't believe he did that. I kept going, and it happened again a few moments later.

There's a whole new ettiequte around the watch that has to be addressed, before that kind of behavior becomes second nature. It's was one thing when an employee somewhere would pull out a phone and check it, but now, with the flick of a wrist, they can do everything they could do on the phone. If I were a manager of a retail store, I'd take a pretty dim view of my employees doing that while helping customers. 
    Oh, what a horrible situation! Let's ban this, too! /s
  • Reply 23 of 39
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Nancy Pelosi is a horrendously corrupt politician. She's one reason the US needs across-the-board term limits. Other similarly corrupt old timers include John McCain, Lindsay Graham and Harry Reid.
    We have term limits per the Condtitution. They're called elections. You really want people in office who face No accountability at the next election in office? Not me. 
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 24 of 39
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    She said it was just the time to stand notice: fits with her just giving it a tap then looking back up. 
  • Reply 25 of 39
    Did anyone notice if a lot of people stood up at 50 minutes past the hour because their watch told them too?
    I always know it's 10-to when people start standing up around me at the office.

That Jeb! video is hilarious. He had no idea his watch could make calls. "Is that my watch?"

I watched a cartoon series a few years back called "Little Bush", which was basically Dubya's close circle as kids and their adventures. In that Jeb was portrayed as a neanderthal. I guess they weren't too far off the mark! 
    stevie
  • Reply 26 of 39
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    asdasd said:
    That this is noteworthy indicates the relative lack of success of the Apple watch, we don't get updates every time somebody uses an iPhone because half the population of the US has one and more of the rich and famous. 
    Wow. That was… desperate. 
    mac fanbrucemcanantksundaramcornchip
  • Reply 27 of 39
    Nancy Pelosi is a horrendously corrupt politician. She's one reason the US needs across-the-board term limits. Other similarly corrupt old timers include John McCain, Lindsay Graham and Harry Reid.
    Save the bs for the political forum. Your idea of corruption and mine are worlds apart. The entire GOP is a clusterfrack of stupid and corrupt.
    This thread is about Nancy Pelosi. She's a politician...or haven't you heard? Also, you failed to note the Republicans in that short list, didntcha?
    edited January 2016 stevie
  • Reply 28 of 39
    It was shameless product placement. I wonder how much one gets paid to do such things.
    stevie
  • Reply 29 of 39
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    asdasd said:
    That this is noteworthy indicates the relative lack of success of the Apple watch, we don't get updates every time somebody uses an iPhone because half the population of the US has one and more of the rich and famous. 
    Never knew visibility was a sign of failure. Thanks for that logic. 
  • Reply 30 of 39
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

mac_128 said:
    jfc1138 said:
    Surprised she didn't know about the "Mute for the Day" option....
    I don't think anyone seated in that room, with the exception of Biden and 3rd in line of succession to the presidency, Ryan, were making any pretense about checking messages on their various smartphones. I am a bit surprised about Pelosi given that it's her own parties president, but not unexpected. However, that's one of the problems with the Watch -- the need to reply. Glancing at the time is bad enough, but actually interacting with the watch is kind of rude.

I was at Subway before Christmas ordering a footlong sandwich, and the full time employee behind the counter making the sandwich for me was wearing a Stainless Watch with the Milanese loop band. It really stood out against his plastic gloves. While I was ordering the sandwich, he got a notification, and checked his watch, and responded! I actually couldn't believe he did that. I kept going, and it happened again a few moments later.

There's a whole new ettiequte around the watch that has to be addressed, before that kind of behavior becomes second nature. It's was one thing when an employee somewhere would pull out a phone and check it, but now, with the flick of a wrist, they can do everything they could do on the phone. If I were a manager of a retail store, I'd take a pretty dim view of my employees doing that while helping customers. 
    Seriously? No one needs to reply. It's better and faster than whipping out your phone and replying. 
  • Reply 31 of 39
    Ah yes, let's turn a story about an Watch into a story about politics.
    bobschlob
  • Reply 32 of 39
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Rayz2016 said:
    asdasd said:
    Wow. That was… desperate. 
    What does that even mean? Accusations of "trolling" or some such nonsense.  From Ray. With his 15 posts, joined a week ago. 

This site - which I've been on since 2003 - is becoming cultish. It usent to be. Criticisms of some apple hardware isn't even criticism of the company as a whole. The dislike button amplifies the trend. 

As as it happens I find the watch uninspiring. Given that most people who own iPhones (the market)  don't have one that's probably a common enough perception. 
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 33 of 39
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    jungmark said:
    asdasd said:
    Never knew visibility was a sign of failure. Thanks for that logic. 
    Lack of visibility is. 
  • Reply 34 of 39
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    This is the most important news ever. 
  • Reply 35 of 39
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    jfc1138 said:
    She said it was just the time to stand notice: fits with her just giving it a tap then looking back up. 
    It looks like she's trying to hit the up arrow icon in the upper left, rather than the dismiss button that admittedly is half off-screen at the bottom. Neither she nor Jeb! know how to use their Watches.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    No one here knows the nature or content of the message that was received by the Minority Leader. A three-second examination of what may have been an important message on her Apple Watch and a one-second reply to that message during the president's State of the Union speech hardly justifies a charge that the Minority Leader is somehow crude, rude, and corrupt. Such baseless, hateful, personal attacks against Democrats have unfortunately become the currency for the Republican/Tea Party - a political party that is morally bankrupt and intellectually poverty-stricken, a party that rejects our ethnic and religious diversity as weakness and vulnerability, a party that denies the climate damage of greenhouse gas emissions, a party that fails to understand that products like the Apple Watch are a sure sign that America continues to lead the world in the critically important field of technology.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    Eddie J said:
    No one here knows the nature or content of the message that was received by the Minority Leader. A three-second examination of what may have been an important message on her Apple Watch and a one-second reply to that message during the president's State of the Union speech hardly justifies a charge that the Minority Leader is somehow crude, rude, and corrupt. Such baseless, hateful, personal attacks against Democrats have unfortunately become the currency for the Republican/Tea Party - a political party that is morally bankrupt and intellectually poverty-stricken, a party that rejects our ethnic and religious diversity as weakness and vulnerability, a party that denies the climate damage of greenhouse gas emissions, a party that fails to understand that products like the Apple Watch are a sure sign that America continues to lead the world in the critically important field of technology.
    Pelosi is a corrupt politician who is long past her utility.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    MIA0007MIA0007 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    We need more women like Nancy Pelosi !!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 39 of 39
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    MIA0007 said:
    We need more women like Nancy Pelosi !!!!!!!!!!
    Absolutely not. We can do better.