Samsung to invest up to $7.47B in developing flexible OLEDs for future iPhones, report claims

Posted:
in iPhone
Samsung Display is reportedly planning to spend up to $7.47 billion on expanding manufacturing capacity with the long-term goal of producing flexible OLED panels for future iPhones.

A contract with Apple has "practically been decided," according to South Korea's ET News. Samsung Display is expected to grow capacity by 30,000 to 45,000 substrates per month in 2016, and could add another 45,000 per month in 2017, depending on orders.

That would mean between $2.49 billion and $3.32 billion spent this year, with totals ultimately hitting $6.64 billion to $7.47 billion if hopes for 2017 pan out. The company may potentially spend over $830 million extra in 2016 if it builds out capacity for Chinese smartphone makers, as well as Samsung's own Galaxy phones.

Another report recently indicated that Apple is planning to pump money into AU Optronics to help it become an AMOLED supplier for iPhones. Both claims could potentially be accurate, since Apple generally prefers having more than one display maker for iPhones, and Samsung is a much larger manufacturer. Indeed, LG Display may also be poised to join in.

It's not clear when Apple would launch an OLED-equipped iPhone, as some reports have suggested it won't happen until at least 2018, or even 2019.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Any thoughts on why they will need flexible screens? I just haven't seen a design that would make this a good thing as of yet. Thoughts???
    steviecornchip
  • Reply 2 of 16
    While I've really liked the OLED screens I've seen, especially the latest Samsung, my big concern is that almost every display model I've seen has serious ghosting/burn in on their screens. I realize the effect is likely magnified by having a display model showing a static image, but it seems like an inherent defect in the tech. 
    I'm more excited by the chance Apple will eventually develop micro-LED displays.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Any thoughts on why they will need flexible screens? I just haven't seen a design that would make this a good thing as of yet. Thoughts???
    My guess would be battery, since you don't need energy to render blacks on OLED displays.
    cornchip
  • Reply 4 of 16
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    All these news for OLED investment for Apple is difficult to believe when timeline to use in iphone is 2018-19. LG said, they investing over $5B and now Samsung who cut back using OLED in TVs and than Apple investing Taiwan AU Optronics and than old newes like Apple supplier Japan Display plans to begin mass production of OLED displays for future iPhones in spring 2018
  • Reply 5 of 16
    tshapitshapi Posts: 370member
    Force touch requires bendable glass which then I'd imagine requires flexible displays to go with the flexible glass
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Probably for all those 'couch-potatoes' who are forever sitting on their phones and cracking the screens!
    linkman
  • Reply 7 of 16
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    I don't think they are flexible because the end product requires it but simply because they make assembly and installation easier and also because the tech also means they are very thin.  The Samsung S6 and edge use flexible OLED but they are behind a more rigid layer of Gorilla glass.

BenjiS said:
    While I've really liked the OLED screens I've seen, especially the latest Samsung, my big concern is that almost every display model I've seen has serious ghosting/burn in on their screens. I realize the effect is likely magnified by having a display model showing a static image, but it seems like an inherent defect in the tech. 
    I'm more excited by the chance Apple will eventually develop micro-LED displays.

'Display models' - You probably should be concerned if your phone usage mimics that of display phones.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    sog35 said:
    This is following the iPhone road map I discussed last year

Is that the same year you broke your self-ban promise?  I forget.

You have zero cred with us.
    SpamSandwichsingularitydasanman69
  • Reply 9 of 16
    sflocal said:
    sog35 said:
    This is following the iPhone road map I discussed last year

LOL. None of us remembers or cares what his fantasy "road map" says. He's nobody.
    jonlSpamSandwichdasanman69
  • Reply 10 of 16
    sflocal said:

LOL. None of us remembers or cares what his fantasy "road map" says. He's nobody.

I think I've fond it. Seems he is heading for the cave of "Tim's Despair"
  • Reply 11 of 16
    noivadnoivad Posts: 186member
    steyoun said:
    My guess would be battery, since you don't need energy to render blacks on OLED displays.
    There’s many reasons. Near future would be durable electronics that can withstand extreme forces such as impacts and pressure. Far term (next decade) you could wrap your phone around your arm with flexible electronics and further improve durability.
    If you keep up with the current crop of advances in bendable circuits & batteries, clear displays & photovoltaic coatings, you can almost trace what will be common place in 10–20 years assuming consumers don’t perceive wearables as either stupid or annoying, which can stifle their adoption.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    May be Samsung trying to create public awareness and support for influencing Apple to include Samsung in their OLED screen manufacturers It's large business one can't afford to miss out on.
    cornchip
  • Reply 13 of 16
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    noivad said:
    steyoun said:
    There’s many reasons. Near future would be durable electronics that can withstand extreme forces such as impacts and pressure. Far term (next decade) you could wrap your phone around your arm with flexible electronics and further improve durability.
    If you keep up with the current crop of advances in bendable circuits & batteries, clear displays & photovoltaic coatings, you can almost trace what will be common place in 10–20 years assuming consumers don’t perceive wearables as either stupid or annoying, which can stifle their adoption.
    There's also that Apple patent for the micro hinge from Liquidmetal. Could allow for the whole phone to be slightly bendable. 
  • Reply 14 of 16
    steyoun said:
    I am not a fan of OLED  either, much preferring the natural colours of the iPhone over the over saturated colours on phones I have seen and used with OLED.  If OLED doesn't doesn't use as much power for blacks, how will it perform on iOS which generally has a light theme?
  • Reply 15 of 16
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    crosslad said:
    steyoun said:
    I am not a fan of OLED  either, much preferring the natural colours of the iPhone over the over saturated colours on phones I have seen and used with OLED.  If OLED doesn't doesn't use as much power for blacks, how will it perform on iOS which generally has a light theme?
    For the last several Android releases you have had the option to select from several display profiles on Samsung phones, which rather stupidly default to an over saturated looking profile.  If you select the flat profile they are just as colour accurate as iPhones.  On Windows phone OS you can select from either a dark or light theme.  Apple could simply offer the same on iOS - or more likely just switch to a dark theme and not offer the choice.