AppleInsider podcast talks beta releases, Apple Music, car & 'iPhone 5e' rumors

Posted:
in General Discussion
This week the AppleInsider podcast explores this week's deluge of beta releases, Elon Musk's latest comments on Apple and the electric car, a fresh 4-inch iPhone rumor, our readers' favorite Mac email clients, and much more.

AppleInsider editors Neil Hughes, Shane Cole and Victor Marks discuss, rant and rave about:

• Apple Music has 10M subscribers in 6 months' time
  • Apple issues new betas for iOS 9.3, TvOS 9.2, WatchOS 2.2, and El Capitan 10.11.4
  • Shane offers a tip about 1Keyboard
  • Our readers pick their favorite Mac email clients
  • Neil recommends Spark by Readdle
  • Elon Musk calls an Apple electric car an 'open secret'
  • 'iPhone 5e' 4 inch screen rumors
  • Apple allegedly keeping a close watch on the sale of Time Warner

The show is available on iTunes and your favorite podcast apps by searching for "AppleInsider." Click here to listen, subscribe, and don't forget to rate our show.

Listen to the embedded SoundCloud feed below:

The show is now also available on Stitcher Radio.

Show note links:

Follow our hosts on Twitter: @thisisneil and @vmarks.

Feedback and comments are always appreciated. Please contact the AppleInsider podcast at [email protected] and follow us on Twitter @appleinsider.

Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at [email protected].

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    If your password is compromised ANYWHERE. it is compromised. So if the cloud is a vector of compromise, it doesn't matter if your iPad is "local". The password is now KNOWN. And now exploitable.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    appleseer said:
    If your password is compromised ANYWHERE. it is compromised. So if the cloud is a vector of compromise, it doesn't matter if your iPad is "local". The password is now KNOWN. And now exploitable.
    Yes, that's why if it's stored in a cloud, it should be encrypted - if the cloud is vulnerable, the encryption is not, and if the cloud goes down, your local copy is still useful.

order of online securing things:

• paper- not digitized, not stored where online can get it.
    • local encrypted file on a non-networked machine
    • local encrypted file on a networked machine
    • cloud stored encrypted file.

But if the encryption's good, then you shouldn't have a problem, depending on who you think your attackers are. 
  • Reply 3 of 7
    vmarks said:
    appleseer said:
    Yes, that's why if it's stored in a cloud, it should be encrypted - if the cloud is vulnerable, the encryption is not, and if the cloud goes down, your local copy is still useful.

order of online securing things:

• paper- not digitized, not stored where online can get it.
    • local encrypted file on a non-networked machine
    • local encrypted file on a networked machine
    • cloud stored encrypted file.

But if the encryption's good, then you shouldn't have a problem, depending on who you think your attackers are. 
    I agree with everything you said. However, I was stating, and should have been more clear: If a person is using cloud based services, they might not have the control needed to have strong encryption.  Or ensure it is not also vulnerable.

• Reply 4 of 7
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    If you start directions on apple maps, it will automatically launch the apple maps on the watch and do directions

also

there are gps chips that have gps assist that use cell towers but do not need a full cellular chipset.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    Also apple should have a home kit app. To put the interface to HomeKit in 3rd party hands is just moronic. Apple should control the experience to something they created.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Enjoyed this week's ep.

Two comments:

1. Apple absolutely should have released a first-party HomeKit aggregator app. Without this HK is a hidden diamond in the rough.

2. Shane, I search for directions on my Watch by force-pressing and then selecting from the pick list appearing under Favorites or Recent. Those came from the iPhone automatically. I find that quite convenient, and it seems to be the transfer of destinations from the iPhone that you wanted. But... I assume you knew about this already, so you must be wanting something else.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Regarding AirDrop. I have found that since I got an iPad Pro in November AirDrop works perfectly. I use it daily on the iPad and occasionally between the iPhone and MacBook Pro. Before that it was hit and miss. Sometimes I had to reboot the iPad or MacBook to make it work. I've lost track of the timing, maybe it was the latest updates to iOS and OS X that fixed it.