Apple release iOS 9.2.1 with fix for app installs, plus other bug fixes & security updates

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2016
Apple on Tuesday publicly released iOS 9.2.1, a maintenance and security update for iPhone and iPad that addresses some minor issues, most notably a problem that could halt app installations for enterprise customers.

iOS 9.2.1 can now be accessed through the "Software Update" option in the official iOS Settings application. In the release notes, Apple revealed that iOS 9.2.1 fixes an issue that could prevent the completion of app installation when using a Mobile Device Management server.

A total of two developer betas were issued before Tuesday's public, final release.

Though iOS 9.2.1 was just released to the public, Apple is already hard at work on iOS 9.3, a more significant platform update that launched its first beta release.

When it's launched to the public, iOS 9.3 will include features like Night Shift mode for nighttime reading that is easier on the eyes, as well as the ability to lock items in the Notes app with Touch ID. iOS 9.3 also features multi-user support on iPads for classroom environments.

And when paired with watchOS 2.2, Apple Watch owners will be able to connect multiple units to a single iPhone, making it easier to swap out styles of watch for different occasions, and for developers to test their apps on multiple hardware styles at once.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Ever since installing iOS 9.2 i've had a constantly recurring premature battery drainage issue on my 5S that's gotten so bad, I had to purchase a Mophie Juice Pack to keep my charging down to once a day rather than twice, despite overall low usage on my part. Hopefully this might fix that.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    In iOS 9.3 They call it Blue Light Reduction not Night Shift. Touch ID for Notes is there but it isn't working as of yet
  • Reply 3 of 14
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Still waiting for generic multi-user support so I can share my iPad with my son or babysitter. 

iPads slowly start to become just as complex as desktop computers without the flexibility of desktop computers.
    techlover
  • Reply 4 of 14
    1983 said:
    Ever since installing iOS 9.2 i've had a constantly recurring premature battery drainage issue on my 5S that's gotten so bad, I had to purchase a Mophie Juice Pack to keep my charging down to once a day rather than twice, despite overall low usage on my part. Hopefully this might fix that.
    Agreed. Many of us have had this issue. I've found a lot of relief from closing apps manually. FB was one major drain in background. Also, the wifi/cellular option was killer. Most recently it is the lock/home screen doing some damage. I'm a guy that gets nervous when I drop below 50%.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    In iOS 9.3 They call it Blue Light Reduction not Night Shift. Touch ID for Notes is there but it isn't working as of yet
    Apple calls it Night Shift on the preview page: https://www.apple.com/ios/preview/
  • Reply 6 of 14

Agreed. Many of us have had this issue. I've found a lot of relief from closing apps manually. FB was one major drain in background. Also, the wifi/cellular option was killer. Most recently it is the lock/home screen doing some damage. I'm a guy that gets nervous when I drop below 50%.
    You really don't need to close apps manually if you disable background app refresh — which is a no brainer for Facebook since it's the biggest offender.
  • Reply 7 of 14

You really don't need to close apps manually if you disable background app refresh — which is a no brainer for Facebook since it's the biggest offender.
    I find this to be logical but untrue in practice. I did just that for just that app, checking the battery usage STILL shows FB eating up cycles in the background for HOURS. So you really DO need to shut that one manually. 

I I think Apple needs to regain control at the OS level again what an app can do in the background. Too many loopholes. Remember FB got caught eating up cycles and staying in the background by using the microphone "accidentally" not that long ago?
  • Reply 8 of 14
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    dacloo said:
    Still waiting for generic multi-user support so I can share my iPad with my son or babysitter. 

iPads slowly start to become just as complex as desktop computers without the flexibility of desktop computers.
    then you will be waiting really long time.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    Touch ID for Notes is working, look in Settings > Notes and the Share menu in a note to lock it.
    bloggerblog
  • Reply 10 of 14
    jannl said:
    Touch ID for Notes is working, look in Settings > Notes and the Share menu in a note to lock it.
    Right. I hope they make it a little more intuitive though I couldn't imagine it would be under share.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    jannl said:
    Right. I hope they make it a little more intuitive though I couldn't imagine it would be under share.
    True
  • Reply 12 of 14
    aylkaylk Posts: 54member
    1983 said:
    I used to have this problem and solved it by reinstalling iOS trough iTunes instead of over the air. Happens almost every time there is a new update.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Bit annoying how Apple uses software update to reset Show Apple Music to On. I set it to Off for a reason.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    I've experienced rapid battery drain on iPhone 6 since 9.2.1.