iOS's News app to incorporate some subscription-only content - report

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple will soon reportedly allow publishers to offer subscription-only articles through iOS's News app, gating some content behind paywalls normally reserved for separate apps or the Web.

The move is an attempt to cope with publisher complaints that Apple is sharing too little data about the people reading articles, sources informed Reuters. Apple's strict approach to privacy has been a complaint not just about News but about other services like iAd, since many companies depend on detailed demographics for advertising.

The sources didn't say, however, how subscribers might be authenticated in News, or whether Apple might offer in-app subscription options and claim a cut of revenues. Apple takes a 30 percent cut of the subscription revenue for third-party iOS apps, even though it doesn't produce or host any of the content.

Some publications that do have paywalls are already in News, but get around the lack of subscription barriers by offering just a selection of articles for free, or redirecting people to websites where readers have to log in.

Another unknown is how or when Apple might update News with subscription support. The technology is missing in betas of iOS 9.3, which would likely leave an update months away at best. Another possibility is that Apple might wait even longer to fold the feature into iOS 10.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    josujosu Posts: 217member
    I want it here in Spain. I don't understand why I can't access the News app versions of free blogs like AI or Daring Fireball, or whatever free content for that matter.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Stupid idea.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    That's fine, as long as there is an option to keep pay-only articles out of my feed.  Right now there is not and they show up like all other content.  Irritating to open a "top story" and have all but the first paragraph behind a pay wall.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    This is a real benefit for Apple and the publishers.  There are plenty of people who don't mind paying extra for a premium experience.  Even if it is only 1% Apple will still make a fortune by having them as premium customers.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    sog35 said:
    Nice idea.

Hopefully this will bring an end to stupid ads. I'm wiling to pay for high quality content WITHOUT ADS.
    When has there ever been news content without advertising?
  • Reply 6 of 15
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Apple should have bought Flipboard.

As much as I want to like Apple's news app, I can't.  When I open the app, I get old news.  Right now, for example, I see a headline about Julian Edelman & The New England Patriots getting ready for this weekend's game.  HELLO!  That was last weekend.  ...then after a while, the page updates with current news.

That's terrible design.  And it's not like I'm using an old slow phone.  I'm on a 6 Plus.

Even the icon for the news app looks poor.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    The news app certainly needs a lot of work.  I find I tend to not use and and go direct to the source, which is a pity as it might be a good vehicle for discovery.

On the issue of paid content:  what the app needs is a universal, global subscription, like Apple Music, but without the annoying local copyright holders demanding a cut and limiting content.  It might even save the print media.  
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 8 of 15
    News app died for when they put in the focused stories. I was interested in apple, technology and related subjects. The fluff pieces about kardashians, politicians and tv shows got the app moved into the 'unused' folder. 
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Mr_GreyMr_Grey Posts: 118member
    2oh1 said:
    IMO Flipboard was only really any good for like the first week or two.  Then all the lawsuits from the media sources happened and the whole experience was knee-capped and degraded significantly.  

Strangely, I find myself agreeing with "sog35."  The advertising within the apps makes almost all news aggregator apps basically worthless to me.  Even iPad apps like BBC News, CBC News, which are otherwise at the top of the heap in terms of this kind of thing, are full of annoying advertising.  Absolutely disgusting.  Je Refuse.  

There has to be a better way, and in response to "sandor," there have actually been many times when newspapers provided news without advertising betwixt each and every story.  It was actually more the rule before about 1970 or so for most major newspapers.  The ads were mostly at the back, they didn't take up the full page, and the majority of the newspapers income was from the wanted ads.  The full page car and perfume adverts, the interstitial adverts between every story, and the concept of putting more adverts on the more popular stories ... those are all relatively new things.    
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    2oh1 said:

As much as I want to like Apple's news app, I can't.  When I open the app, I get old news.  Right now, for example, I see a headline about Julian Edelman & The New England Patriots getting ready for this weekend's game.  HELLO!  That was last weekend.  ...then after a while, the page updates with current news.

That's terrible design.  And it's not like I'm using an old slow phone.  I'm on a 6 Plus.

Even the icon for the news app looks poor. 
    Everyone's a design expert
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 11 of 15
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    sog35 said:
    Nice idea.

Hopefully this will bring an end to stupid ads. I'm wiling to pay for high quality content WITHOUT ADS.
    Nope. Industry still thinks you will pay to read magazines with ads in them, so will you read news with ads in them. Ads, Ads, Ads!
  • Reply 12 of 15
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    It would be nice if you can combine your subscriptions from WSJ or WashPost etc into one app and read all you want. That would be a nice deal. But with current pricing it will probably be something like $40/month.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Just another reason not to use the iOS news app.  It is the worst app I have seen.  I do understand how Apple allows such a piece of junk.  All the news is old news and does not update.  The Drudge Report most resent article is two weeks old!!!
  • Reply 14 of 15
    rivershm said:
    Just another reason not to use the iOS news app.  It is the worst app I have seen.  I do understand how Apple allows such a piece of junk.  All the news is old news and does not update.  The Drudge Report most resent article is two weeks old!!!
    If you are looking for the most recent articles posted ON the Drudge Report, best you get their app.

For NEWS on the Drudge Report, I would suggest Flipboard. Right now, the most recent article is a day old.

Personally, I prefer Flipboard over News.

However, keep in mind, there is a difference in typing in a search term and hitting Enter or selecting on the "TOP RESULT" verses clicking the primary "TOPIC" button.

For example, entering NHL in the search box, you get "TOP RESULT NHL by JACOB PAINTER". Under that, TOPIC and a section of buttons, i.e., NHL, NHL DRAFT and NHL ALL-STAR GAME. Clicking NHL results in a broader selection of all, and best of all more recent news.