Apple recalls some AC adapters, world travel kits in parts of South America, Europe, Asia, and Ocea

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2016
Apple on Thursday issued a recall for two-pronged AC wall plug adapters designed for Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Continental Europe, New Zealand and South Korea over a potential risk for electric shock.

Apple said that it was aware of 12 incidents around the world in which a two-pronged AC wall plug adapter broke and resulted in an electrical shock when the user touched it. The recall includes many two-pronged wall plugs shipped with Macs and iOS devices between 2003 and 2015.

To determine if your wall plug is affected by the recall, check the inside slot where it attaches to the main Apple power adapter. Affected wall plugs will have either four characters, five characters, or no characters printed inside the slot.

Consumers who find themselves with an affected adapter can visit www.apple.com/support/ac-wallplug-adapter for information on exchanging their adapter for a new, redesigned model.

This is Apple's first recall since August 2015, when it recalled a number of third-generation Apple TV units over a defective part.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    I just went to my basement to have a look if I'm affected.... I've just 15 ac-adapters who are possibly affected by the description and they want me tho give them the serial number off each device that belongs to one of the adapter. Are they kidding me? 
  • Reply 2 of 13
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    I just went to my basement to have a look if I'm affected.... I've just 15 ac-adapters who are possibly affected by the description and they want me tho give them the serial number off each device that belongs to one of the adapter. Are they kidding me? 
    http://cgi.darwinawards.com/cgi/search.pl?keywords=category=electricity&swishindex=stories.data&show_description=yes&begin=1
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Faulty power cords. Yet another thing that Microsoft copied from Apple.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Why do they need serial numbers off devices? I have many PSUs - 9 of which 7 are the type that need replacing. Most of these did not come with units, they were either purchased for iPods ( as no PSU is supplied) or as a quicker charger for iPhone and are distributed round the house for easy charging. They can see they are genuine items! I will see what the service agent says.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Absolutely shocking. I wonder watt bright spark did the quality control on them? Knowing the current climate, somebody's bound to sue. 
    lollivercnocbui
  • Reply 6 of 13
    anomeanome Posts: 1,531member
    I've probably got dozens of these. I just checked the one I have with me at work, and it seems to be affected. Then again, I've never had a problem with the prongs breaking.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Also these adapters are on the AA rechargeable charger unit. I have two of those, both the old type, so I now have 9 and possibly more (as there are bound to be a couple in draws somewhere) to change.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Wow, this is big. Almost all my European units are affected (around 30 adapters). This is going to take time …lots of it.
     :s 

Does this problem include Airport Express units, battery chargers, extension cords, and all other hardware that has this type of adapter as well?
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Why do they need serial numbers off devices? I have many PSUs - 9 of which 7 are the type that need replacing. Most of these did not come with units, they were either purchased for iPods ( as no PSU is supplied) or as a quicker charger for iPhone and are distributed round the house for easy charging. They can see they are genuine items! I will see what the service agent says.
    I have the same question as my World Travel Adapter Kit seems to be affected. I guess I'll call Apple to see what serial number they would need? 
  • Reply 10 of 13
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,904member
    Apple, be careful. You may end up replacing fake,cheap bought by customers that may be problem rather your own authentic ones.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    I think they can tell the real from the fake. I am sure the fakes won't have a serial number on the adapters and if they do it will likely be the same number.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    I would like to thank Apple Insider (and other sites) for carrying this story, otherwise I would not have known about it. Why doesn´t Apple email their customers about issues like this?  
  • Reply 13 of 13
    All were swapped promptly - no hassle! Very happy.