Apple's 'Shot on iPhone' billboards return with iPhone 6s photos

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2016
Apple returned to the advertising well of its popular crowd-sourced "Shot on iPhone" campaign this weekend, with billboards going up on Sunday featuring still photos captured using stock iPhone 6s and 6s Plus hardware.

Source: Dustin Cohen

Like the original Shot on iPhone 6 campaign, this year's iPhone 6s and 6s Plus version features a selection of still images curated from social media feeds like Instagram, each showcasing the handsets' raw capture capabilities when wielded by talented photographers.

According to Time, Apple's campaign kicks off with 53 images from 41 amateur and professional photographers. The photos will show up on billboards in 85 cities spread across 26 countries starting today.

Apple's Shot on iPhone concept launched last March as a dedicated online portal called the World Gallery, which was followed by billboard and outdoor ad placements around the world. The installations won Apple and PR partner TBWA\Media Arts Lab multiple Cannes Lions awards.

Apple has yet to post an updated World Gallery, but the online showcase should debut soon if last year's initiative is any indication of the company's plans. Video shot on iPhone 6s is also expected, potentially including ultra high-resolution 4K footage, though Apple took three months to add such content to the World Gallery in 2015.

Shot on iPhone 6s comes weeks after Apple revamped its Start something new campaign to include works of art created using iPhone 6s, iPad Pro and Apple Pencil and Mac. The series, launched in 2014, focuses on the creative potential artists can unleash using Apple's hardware ecosystem and readily available software.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    It's pretty astounding that Apple can make entire industries, like standalone cameras, completely obsolete.  
    macky the mackylostkiwi
  • Reply 2 of 24
    stevie said:
    It's pretty astounding that Apple can make entire industries, like standalone cameras, completely obsolete.  
    Don't forget the MP3 players!
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 3 of 24
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    stevie said:
    Standalone cameras are far from obsolete. Phone cameras have improved over the years but they don't come even close to the quality of DSLR cameras. 
    6Sgoldfishcnocbuidysamoria
  • Reply 4 of 24
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    stevie said:
    I scoffed for years at that concept. But it's inevitable that the camera everyone always has with them tends to become their camera of choice. For my larger enlargement end uses my standalone dSLR (a Nikon full format dSLR)  is far from obsolete as well as the ability to use long lenses safely for wildlife. But for everyday things? Totally iPhone. 
    lostkiwianton zuykovmr o
  • Reply 5 of 24
    stevie said:
    Standalone cameras are far from obsolete. Phone cameras have improved over the years but they don't come even close to the quality of DSLR cameras. 
    A good photograph is determined by its content far more than by its technical aspects. 
    edited February 2016 lostkiwi
  • Reply 6 of 24
    stevie said:

Who said anything about DLSR's? The smartphone has killed the market for point & shoot digital cameras.
    lostkiwilatifbpanton zuykovmr ozabanolamacguy
  • Reply 7 of 24
    A good photograph is determined by its content far more than by its technical aspects. 
    And some tools (read cameras) make it easier to get the shot, and some tools allow you to get the shot full stop. You can't get 1 foot away from a bird and not expect to scare it off. There are plenty of uses where the fixed aperture, fixed focal length, large depth of field cell phone just doesn't allow you to get the shot.

The iPhone is a great tool, but it is not and will not be the end all be all for a professional.
    edited February 2016 cnocbuicharlesatlas
  • Reply 8 of 24
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    stevie said:
    They haven't done that, nor will they.

That is true, but technical aspects can determine what content it is possible to capture.
  • Reply 9 of 24

Who said anything about DLSR's? The smartphone has killed the market for point & shoot digital cameras.
    Stevie did.  A DSLR is included in the set 'standalone camera'.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    What a brazen campaign. There's some real chutzpah there. The over-the-top noise reduction in the camera firmware on iPhone 6s makes for pretty lousy photos. No app changes this with any setting. If Apple doesn't change it, it stays that way.

Seriously, take some photos of cats in moderate light. The noise reduction destroys hair on pets and humans unless you have perfect light and luck. It looks like a watercolor filter was applied. The flash exposure behavior sucks, too, so you get the noise-reduction mess AND blasted-out solid white highlights in one image. There's zero effort at color balance, either. On top of all that, the displays on these phones have their own color inconsistencies (mine is warm on the left and cool on the right). Every phone at the Apple Store was the same when I considered trying to exchange it.

This is a seriously disingenuous marketing campaign.

I'm utterly unimpressed with this phone. It's not just me: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6576391?tstart=0
    cnocbui
  • Reply 11 of 24
    dysamoria said:
    What a brazen campaign. There's some real chutzpah there. The over-the-top noise reduction in the camera firmware on iPhone 6s makes for pretty lousy photos. No app changes this with any setting. If Apple doesn't change it, it stays that way.

Seriously, take some photos of cats in moderate light. The noise reduction destroys hair on pets and humans unless you have perfect light and luck. It looks like a watercolor filter was applied. The flash exposure behavior sucks, too, so you get the noise-reduction mess AND blasted-out solid white highlights in one image. There's zero effort at color balance, either. On top of all that, the displays on these phones have their own color inconsistencies (mine is warm on the left and cool on the right). Every phone at the Apple Store was the same when I considered trying to exchange it.

This is a seriously disingenuous marketing campaign.

I'm utterly unimpressed with this phone. It' s not just me: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6576391?tstart=0
    What's disingenuous about it? Unless you believe deep down Apple execs think the 6S camera is shit but are running this campaign anyway?
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 12 of 24
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,032member
    The image in this article was taken in Edgewater, NJ I believe. I was there a couple of weeks ago.  Very easy to take a great picture considering the view of Manhattan. There's a Japanese strip mall and grocery there with a fantastic food court - totally worth going out of your way.  Mitsuwa Marketplace 
  • Reply 13 of 24
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    stevie said:
    The ability to shoot RAW* & lenses is what sets DSLRs apart from the iPhone. The iPhone already does 4K video, if RAW still images are going to be next, then Apple might lure in some of the semi-professionals.

(*) RAW images are useful for postprocessing in Photoshop or Lightroom. They let you work the image without losing the original data.

>:x
  • Reply 14 of 24
    stevie said:
    Well, I can't take a fantastic full moon shot with an iPhone. Long exposures (a necessary ingredient of astrophotography) are impossible with an iPhone. Until you can take a 30-sec exposure with an iPhone, I'm not sure it's fair to use the term "completely obsolete." Even bridge cameras haven't made the DSLR obsolete. 
  • Reply 15 of 24
    The iPhone camera is a great camera for 98% of the population that uses one. I would agree that it will not in most cases satisfy a professionals hunger for perfection. Let's get over that. For most of us it is great and makes having camera obsolete.
    mr onolamacguy
  • Reply 16 of 24
    cnocbui said:

Only to those who are being pedantic. 
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 17 of 24
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    The iPhone camera is a great camera for 98% of the population that uses one. I would agree that it will not in most cases satisfy a professionals hunger for perfection. Let's get over that. For most of us it is great and makes having camera obsolete.
    It is indeed great to see mere mortals take snapshots with their iPhone cameras i/o a Canon DSLR 5D Markiii.

That is not to say you cannot make great pictures with the iPhone. Ambient natural lighting and composition play a great part as well. Not to mention the ability to use artificial ambient lighting and colourful backdrops. The iPhone 6 'shot on iPhone' campaign is testament to that.

>:x
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 18 of 24
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    cnocbui said:

wrong. P&S is a separate thing than DSLRs. and yes, P&Ss have been obliterated. iphone models are now the top cameras posted to flickr.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 19 of 24
    cnocbui said:
    wrong. P&S is a separate thing than DSLRs. and yes, P&Ss have been obliterated. iphone models are now the top cameras posted to flickr.
    Your comment is quite nonsensical.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Apple is becoming the new Kodak, perpetuating the idea that anyone can take pro photos with consumer grade cameras. Professional photos today are not what they used to be. They demand ultra high resolution to stand up to grand enlargements, clean details in shadows and highlights, and razor sharp details that only come from expensive lenses with quality glass. Not to mention a person who is experienced enough to use all these qualities to render an image that inspires. None of these billboards would be considered professional in the pro world. I use my iPhone camera every day to take shots of things that make my life easier. Movies today are shot in digital, but do you see cinematographers using consumer cameras? It's just sad how many people don't understand what a quality digital image is. These campaigns make me crazy.