Apple to allow broken screens on trade-in iPhones, offer optional screen protector installations

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple Stores will soon reportedly adopt two new measures related to the problem of cracked iPhone screens, including allowing some broken iPhones into its Reuse and Recycle trade-in program, and offering installation of purchased screen protectors.

Beginning this week, Apple Stores should be able to give credit for iPhone 5s and iPhone 6/6 Plus models with damaged screens, or even broken buttons and cameras, sources told 9to5Mac. Although there are limitations on the amount of acceptable damage, Apple is said to think this will encourage more people to buy a new iPhone instead of opting for a screen repair.

Apple is allegedly offering $50 for an iPhone 5s, but $200 for an iPhone 6, and $250 for a 6 Plus.

Plastic screen protector installation is claimed to be launching at some stores on Thursday, made possible by a partnership with at least one protector maker -- Belkin -- on distributing dedicated machines. If the process fails, Apple will offer a free protector replacement and try again.

Apple Stores would previously refuse to install such protectors, since doing so manually carries a greater risk of failure. By hand it's easier to install a protector at a crooked angle, or catch air bubbles or debris under the surface.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Is this UK also or just US, do you know, please? Thanks
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Wow...this is great. I will be joining the Apple upgrade program next year and it will be good to know that I'll get a trade in on my 6 Plus even if I damage it before then.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    I'm amazed at how many smartphones I see in use with cracks or even very smashed screens. People seem content to work with a bad screen for quite a while, awaiting a phone upgrade or saving enough for a new screen or phone I guess...
    fastasleepRayz2016patchythepirateTinkeroff
  • Reply 4 of 12
    citycity Posts: 522member
    The Apple Store installed such protectors on my iPhone 6s and 6s Plus last October. No problem!
  • Reply 5 of 12
    My local Apple store has quite happily installed screen protectors, which I'd purchased at that store, on all of my iPhones, dating back to the 3GS.  I guess they're just making it official now, or are they going to charge for it instead of doing it gratis.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    I had screen protectors on my Palm Pilots, but that's because they had plastic screens that scratched if you looked at them cross eyed. I've had seven iPhones with no screen protectors, and I had only one scratch, and it was very minor. You had to look really close to see it. I can't bring myself to cover a beautiful iPhone glass screen. Do you put a plastic protector on your car's windshield? Think about it.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    In Ireland the trade in is almost worthless.  On a year old iPhone C is perfect condition they offer, wait for it 105.00 Euro.   The full price new was 385.00. Daylight robbery.  I imagine if the phone was damaged in any way you will get less. You only get a voucher against the full Apple price and the final price you get is subject to them receiving the phone, checking it out. Also you will be 5 working days without a phone.  
    dtb200Tinkeroff
  • Reply 8 of 12
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    maccad said:
    I had screen protectors on my Palm Pilots, but that's because they had plastic screens that scratched if you looked at them cross eyed. I've had seven iPhones with no screen protectors, and I had only one scratch, and it was very minor. You had to look really close to see it. I can't bring myself to cover a beautiful iPhone glass screen. Do you put a plastic protector on your car's windshield? Think about it.
    Actually car windshields do have plastic on them! See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laminated_glass
  • Reply 9 of 12
    linkman said:
    I'm amazed at how many smartphones I see in use with cracks or even very smashed screens. People seem content to work with a bad screen for quite a while, awaiting a phone upgrade or saving enough for a new screen or phone I guess...
    I never understood how people could just go on like that.. until I was one of those people!

I'm definitely taking advantage of this upgrade offer soon to kick start my Apple iPhone upgrade program. I heard this as 'news' on NPR (US national public radio) earlier today as well. I have a feeling there will be a lot of upgraders.
    Tinkeroff
  • Reply 10 of 12
    linkman said:
    I never understood how people could just go on like that.. until I was one of those people!

I'm definitely taking advantage of this upgrade offer soon to kick start my Apple iPhone upgrade program. I heard this as 'news' on NPR (US national public radio) earlier today as well. I have a feeling there will be a lot of upgraders.
    I too, have cringed and wonder, while watching someone put broken glass to their face! I've been lucky and haven't had my phone break. This time around I bought a screen saver that is guaranteed to not break, or the company covers either the repair or a new phone.
    A T & T gave me $250 in store credit for my iPhone 4 (it was pristine) so I was able to afford the bells and whistles for my new 6plus S. 
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 11 of 12
    In Ireland the trade in is almost worthless.  On a year old iPhone C is perfect condition they offer, wait for it 105.00 Euro.   The full price new was 385.00. Daylight robbery.  I imagine if the phone was damaged in any way you will get less. You only get a voucher against the full Apple price and the final price you get is subject to them receiving the phone, checking it out. Also you will be 5 working days without a phone.  
    Wow, that's a lot of money and inconvenience. It is robbery! They recycle EVERYTHING on the cell so it is almost of the same value to them as it is new. They also get environmental credit for having a "Trade In" offer. I'm just boggled by the difference, here in the US they practically give them away. When I upgraded to the 6S plus, I gave my mom my iPhone 6plus, and I traded my iPhone 4s in for $250(also is given as store credit.) 
  • Reply 12 of 12
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    I traded in my wife 1-year old iPhone 6 with cracked and chipped screen at the corner and the price was $300 instead of $325 as one with perfect condition. However, my trading was 1 month after 6S was released. The price was better than any internet or none Apple stores out there. So, you should get close to 50% of the original price for 1 year old phone. Any month later will be prorated.
    btw, Apple will make extra tons of money on this too. Why? Because they must replace the screen regardless before reselling the phone. 
    edited February 2016