AppleInsider podcast talks March event expectations, '3D Touch ID,' VirnetX, more

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2016
On this week's episode of the AppleInsider podcast, Neil and Mikey riff on Apple's rumored March event, what a new patent filing could mean for Touch ID, a substantial legal win for patent troll VirnetX and much more. Bonus GoPro rant courtesy of Neil.

Apple iPhone 7 concept by Yasser Farahi.

AppleInsider editors Neil Hughes and Mikey Campbell have a stream of consciousness conversation about:

• Apple's March event starring a 4-inch iPhone, iPad Air 3, more
  • The future of Apple's iPad Smart Connector
  • The morass they call GoPro
  • Apple patent application for a force-sensitive Touch ID button
  • iPhone 7 rumored to boast dual-camera design
  • VirnetX awarded $626 million from Apple in patent row

The show is available on iTunes and your favorite podcast apps by searching for "AppleInsider." Click here to listen, subscribe, and don't forget to rate our show.

Listen to the embedded SoundCloud feed below:

The show is now also available on Stitcher Radio.

Show note links:

Alleged 'iPad Air 3' schematic reaffirms Smart Connector, rear camera flash

Rumor: Apple testing dual-lens camera modules from Largan, others for future iPhones

Sony says dual-lens camera tech launching with 'major smartphone players' in next year

Apple invention hints at force-sensitive Touch ID button

GoPro works to stem losses with 'connected and convenient' Hero5

Follow our hosts on Twitter: @thisisneil and @mikeycampbell81.

Feedback and comments are always appreciated. Please contact the AppleInsider podcast at [email protected] and follow us on Twitter @appleinsider.

Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at [email protected].

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Not sure if you have the controls locked or something, but I couldn't rewind the audio to listen back a few minutes. I had been interrupted by someone talking to me, so when I came back I wanted to back up about 5 minutes and couldn't. Tried going directly to the Soundcloud page, but that had the same issue, and reloading the page just started out from the beginning and didn't allow me to fast-forward to where I was. So, I just stopped listening. If controls are disabled, I can understand a few reasons you might have done that, but in the grand scheme of things people like me will just not listen at all, which is too bad since I was interested in hearing the viewpoints.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    VirtnetX Holding Company has a market capitalization considerably less than the value of the proposed judgment against Apple. What would prevent Apple from BUYING VirtnetX outright, keeping ownership of whatever patents it wants, disbanding the company, and putting the rest of the patents in the public domain just to spite VirtnetX?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    jimdoc said:
    VirtnetX Holding Company has a market capitalization considerably less than the value of the proposed judgment against Apple. What would prevent Apple from BUYING VirtnetX outright, keeping ownership of whatever patents it wants, disbanding the company, and putting the rest of the patents in the public domain just to spite VirtnetX?
    Except, from the Apple statement now circulating:  "All four of VirnetX’s patents have been found invalid by the patent office."
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Not sure if you have the controls locked or something, but I couldn't rewind the audio to listen back a few minutes. I had been interrupted by someone talking to me, so when I came back I wanted to back up about 5 minutes and couldn't. Tried going directly to the Soundcloud page, but that had the same issue, and reloading the page just started out from the beginning and didn't allow me to fast-forward to where I was. 
    Transport is active. Might have been a weird caching glitch, but it's working fine for me on iOS and OS X. Try again?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    Hi,

Thanks for another great podcast.

I'd like to raise an issue I've been having with the podcasts going back a few weeks: there is a problem with the levels between each of the commentators. Some are very loud, while others are very quiet. It makes it quite difficult to listen in a car, or in a noisy environment.

Would it be possible to apply some level matching and audio compression before uploading the podcast? Thank you.