Apple's rumored 4" iPhone to launch with hot pink color option, report says

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2016
Apple is working on three different color options for the launch of its much-rumored 4-inch iPhone, including a version closer in hue to a hot pink iPod than rose gold, a report said Friday.

It appears Apple's so-called "iPhone 5se" might see further differentiation from its iPhone 6s and 6s Plus siblings than expected, as Japanese website Mac Otakara reports the company plans to market the handset in a new pink chassis color alongside the silver and Space Gray options currently available for iPhone 5s.

In its report, the publication cited unnamed third-party accessory manufacturers exhibiting products at the recent Tokyo International Gift Show expo.

Sources describing the color compare it to a pink sixth-generation iPod touch or seventh-generation iPod nano. While the exact hue remains open to interpretation, the new pink tone is markedly different than rose gold options available for iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, these people said.

The report is unclear on the prospect of a yellow gold iPhone 5se version, meaning those interested in an updated 4-inch handset might be limited to silver, Space Gray and pink. Apple first introduced gold as an iPhone 5s option in 2013, developed in part to satiate Chinese market demand. The gold color jumped to other product lines including Mac, while its success spawned a rose gold variant that launched with iPhone 6.

Production of the next-gen 4-inch iPhone is supposedly underway ahead of a rumored spring announcement. Details are scarce, but the device is said to boast a metal-backed design similar to the current iPhone 6s with refreshed internals like an A8 or A9 processor and NFC support for Apple Pay.

Most recently, a photo popped in January purportedly showing the unreleased 4-inch iPhone in comparison to an iPhone 5s. If the image is legitimate, Apple's small format handset borrows heavily from iPhone 6s, with curved edges, a sloping "2.5D" screen and a front-facing camera shifted to the left of the ear speaker.

Apple is widely expected to hold a special event in March to unveil the iPhone 5se, a revamped iPad Air 3 and minor Apple Watch upgrades.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    iPhone 5se is such a terrible product name I'm going to go on record here right now and say Gurman's prediction will be proven wrong. They will not name this new smaller iPhone that.

I don't know what they will name it, but I would love a 4.2" version of the iPhone 6s in all four currently available colours running an A9 with 2GB of RAM (at 6s prices if needs be) and branded iPhone 6s mini.
    edited February 2016 calicornchipCellularBarn
  • Reply 2 of 49
    Just hot pink? Not buying it.
    bobschlob
  • Reply 3 of 49
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,309member
    ireland said:
    iPhone 5se is such a terrible product name I'm going to go on record here right now and say Gurman's prediction will be proven wrong. They will not name this new smaller iPhone that.

I don't know what they will name it, but I would love a 4.2" version of the iPhone 6s in all four currently available colours running an A9 with 2GB of RAM (at 6s prices if needs be) and branded iPhone 6s mini.
    For branding reasons I would have to agree with you.

I would think that the 4 inch iPhone should be hardware equivalent, i.e., the same generation, to the current 6s as it trails that generation by some 6 months. I could see Apple leaving out 3D Touch to derive a better price point.
  • Reply 4 of 49
    It's pronounced "iPhone Fivesy".
    tallest skil1983suddenly newtonquadra 610pscooter63cornchip
  • Reply 5 of 49
    It's pronounced "iPhone Fivesy".
    A kiddley iPhones, too; wouldn’t you?
    Just hot pink? Not buying it.
    "You can get it in your favorite color. As long as you’re a Valley Girl.”
    edited February 2016 1983cornchip
  • Reply 6 of 49
    There's very little market left for a 4" phone, there's more market for a 5.7" or larger phone than the 4" one.  Even kids these days favor the bigger phones than small ones.

They could do a 4.7" but 4" won't be a hot seller.
    cnocbui
  • Reply 7 of 49
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    I predict the next prediction will be that the updated 4" iPhone will come in all five colors of the current generation iPod Touch (hey, why not?), that the A8-powered iPod Touch was was the inspiration for this new iPhone, or vice-versa and that the name is not really iPhone 5Se, but instead iPhone 5Sc.  To all of which I say, ugh!

edited February 2016 pscooter63
  • Reply 8 of 49
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    vision33r said:
    There's very little market left for a 4" phone, there's more market for a 5.7" or larger phone than the 4" one.  Even kids these days favor the bigger phones than small ones.

What do you mean "even kids..." ? The large phones are SPECIFICALLY targeted at the kids. It wasn't the older people who were saying 'Oooh make it bigger!!'
    Older people are much more low-key. We dig one handed use.
    You say there is very little market left for smaller phone. That's ridiculous. There's a market, there just isn't anybody filling that market right now. Hopefully Apple will fill it and 'own' it.
    edited February 2016 calitallest skilpscooter63cornchip[Deleted User]
  • Reply 9 of 49
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    vision33r said:

Since it seems Apple is going to sell a 4" iPhone, that implies their market research must indicate there is demand for it. Of course we will only really know when it becomes available. I know I will buy one since it is the same form factor as the iPod touch I so enjoy using. If they manage to shrink the non-screen areas it will be that much better.
    cali[Deleted User]
  • Reply 10 of 49
    What's next, an iPhone nano? Apple is 100% dependent upon iPhones and iPads. Without these 2 products, the company would collapse. Eventually this whole house of cards will come tumbling down.
  • Reply 11 of 49
    youngliz said:
    What's next, an iPhone nano? Apple is 100% dependent upon iPhones and iPads. Without these 2 products, the company would collapse. Eventually this whole house of cards will come tumbling down.
    Thank you for telling us that Apple is doom™.
    caliwilliamlondonnolamacguymaxitai46icoco3pscooter63cornchip
  • Reply 12 of 49
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    I want it to be all black.
    caliwilliamlondonanantksundaramcornchip[Deleted User]
  • Reply 13 of 49
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    vision33r said:

Very little market? The majority of the market is still made of phones 4,5 or less and I think that more than one person on ten wants one.
    [Deleted User]
  • Reply 14 of 49
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    What...no gold option? That seems odd...oh wait its a rumour [sic].
    cali
  • Reply 15 of 49
    This is seeming more and more like a 6C than a 5SE
  • Reply 16 of 49
    BLACK
    we need a BLACK iphone

calicnocbuianantksundarampscooter63cornchip[Deleted User]
  • Reply 17 of 49
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    I think this makes a lot of sense. The iPod Touch is such a great device. It's crazy thin. But iPod is a sinking ship and more and more parents are getting their kids cell phones. I have kids coming into my youth group at 11 years old with cell phones.

It's obvious why kids would want one. If Apple can show a value proposition to parents (parental controls, entertainment value, tracking where your kids are) and make the price right, this would be a watershed product. Make it in awesome colors like the iPod Touch line. Engrave it (helps a lot with theft prevention)
    calinolamacguy
  • Reply 18 of 49
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    PLEASE release in March. I wanna see the knockoff devices with their StolenOS brought to their knees!

vision33r said:

Since manufacturers continue to increase their screen sizes this leaves a huge hole for Apple to fill. Not small at all.

clemynx said:
    I want it to be all black.

You guys ever see the old "leaked" black iPhone 5c?

OH YEAH! More Apple ineptitude. In the run-up to Apple's disastrous, headphone-jack-free iPhone 7, let's chum the water with this shit. Jony Ive is a pompous hack and an asshole.

You own an iPhone 7?!?!?!????!!!!

*reads username*

nevermind...

nolamacguymaxitpscooter63cornchip
  • Reply 19 of 49
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    bobschlob said:
    You say there is very little market left for smaller phone. That's ridiculous. There's a market, there just isn't anybody filling that market right now. Hopefully Apple will fill it and 'own' it.
    sdbryan said:
    Since it seems Apple is going to sell a 4" iPhone, that implies their market research must indicate there is demand for it. Of course we will only really know when it becomes available. I know I will buy one since it is the same form factor as the iPod touch I so enjoy using.
    You guys ever heard of the iPhone 5S?
  • Reply 20 of 49
    leighrleighr Posts: 253member
    Here's my script for Tim, at the 4" iPhone launch: "In 2001, Apple revolutionised the music industry with iPod. Hundreds, and then thousands of songs in your pocket. iPod Touch allowed music lovers to touch their music and interact with it in a whole new way. And today, I'm announcing that we are discontinuing the iPod. But we're replacing it with something even better. iPhone mini. Thousands of songs, the Internet in your pocket, millions of apps, Apple Music streaming, 4K camera, AND, now with free phone calls via wifi, or use a carrier's SIM and plan. And, iPhone Mini comes in a beautiful new range of colours that we think you're going to love. iPhone Mini - the new iPod, now with iPhone."
    edited February 2016 anantksundaramicoco3cornchip[Deleted User]