Senate committee chair mulls bill to punish companies that refuse decryption requests

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2016
Amid a raging digital security debate sparked by Apple's fight to protect encryption FBI, the Senate Intelligence Committee is said to be working on legislation that would criminalize companies unwilling to comply with court-ordered decryption requests.

Sen. Richard Burr at the NC Child Care Coalition in 2015. | Source: Office of Sen. Richard Burr

Citing multiple sources familiar with the matter, The Wall Street Journal on Thursday reported Intelligence Committee Chairman Richard Burr (R., N.C.) is mulling the creation of a bill that would find companies like Apple in breach of the law for refusing to comply with warrants to decipher encrypted communications.

The plan is in its early stages and Burr has not yet decided how to craft the legislation, sources said. Further, there is no consensus among lawmakers to take punitive action against tech companies that do not to comply with proper decryption requests.

Today's report comes days after a federal judge in California ordered Apple to assist the FBI in its investigation of the San Bernardino shooting. The request involves writing device-specific software that would enable law enforcement technicians access to a passcode-protected iPhone 5c used by Syed Rizwan Farook, one of two deceased terrorists involved in last year's massacre.

Burr is an advocate of bridging the divide between tech companies and law enforcement agencies, specifically targeting strong encryption measures that might hinder the investigation or prosecution of criminals. Last year Burr backed the controversial CISA cybersecurity bill, under which private companies are required to report potential cyber threats to government agencies, including the Department of Homeland Security and the NSA. Apple, Yahoo and other tech companies panned the proposal citing privacy concerns.

More recently, Burr highlighted the hurdles law enforcement officials encounter with strong encryption systems like those built into modern Apple devices.

"District attorneys have come to me because they are beginning to get to a situation where they can't prosecute cases," Burr said last week. "This is town by town, city by city, county by county, and state by state... It's something we need to take seriously."

For its part, Apple stands against government calls for so-called software backdoors. In response to this week's court order, CEO Tim Cook penned an open letter to Apple customers pointing out the pitfalls of breaking its own encryption protocol, saying a successful attempt to crack iOS inherently weakens the operating system's safeguards. Additionally, complying with FBI demands could set a dangerous precedent of forcing companies to provide first party bypass tools both domestically and abroad.

While not outright refusing this week's court order, Apple has vowed to appeal the matter to the Supreme Court, if necessary.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 68
    Morons.

As if our messed up tax system weren't reason enough: more companies will either leave the US, or on balance, not set up shop here. 
    jfc1138lolliverrealisticstskradster360IanMC2fotoformatcornchip
  • Reply 2 of 68
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    The DoJ has BEGGED these idiots for a cellphone encryption bill and instead we get this sort of grandstanding?

Not shocked. 

Morons indeed. 

Oh oh how does this idiot expect to get around the right of appeal?
    edited February 2016 latifbpcornchip
  • Reply 3 of 68
    I could support some mild form of this if any law included non-negotiable criminal penalties for government and government officials who violated any aspect of it. Misuse it? Lie to get a warrant? Mistake facts? Prison. Information discovered aside from the exact stuff in the warrant is granted immunity. These people in law enforcement and government security created this situation via their own behavior, arrogance, corruption and constantly violating our rights. The entire mess is their fault.
    stsklatifbpIanMC2icoco3cornchip
  • Reply 4 of 68
    And people still think we are a democracy?  
    stsklatifbpIanMC2jkichline
  • Reply 5 of 68
    tommikele said:
    I could support some mild form of this if any law included non-negotiable criminal penalties for government and government officials who violated any aspect of it.
    If you really think this would happen, I have a nice bridge I can sell you...
  • Reply 6 of 68
    enufenuf Posts: 19member
    We needed the encryption bill, this is true. Just one more reason why something like 87% of Americans despise the US Congress.

That said, I do hope a law comes out of this to punish people like Tim Cook who are so pathetically incapable of comprehending the damage he does to society with his elitist attitude.

• Reply 7 of 68
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Frak you, Congress. 
    latifbpIanMC2
  • Reply 8 of 68
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Fascists, imbeciles, or both?
    I'd bet on both, how else can people get these things so wrong...
    latifbpIanMC2
  • Reply 9 of 68
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    enuf said:
    We needed the encryption bill, this is true. Just one more reason why something like 87% of Americans despise the US Congress.

That said, I do hope a law comes out of this to punish people like Tim Cook who are so pathetically incapable of comprehending the damage he does to society with his elitist attitude.

You obviously don't understand the technology AND are proud of your ignorance, OR you're a paid troll, an informed person simply cannot condone what some uneducated parts of the government are trying to do.
    jfc1138hlee1169latifbpIanMC2Christopher Pelhamicoco3tenlyjkichline
  • Reply 10 of 68
    Can someone please take away his MacBook! Morons!
    jfc1138IanMC2icoco3cornchip
  • Reply 11 of 68
    vision33r said:
    And people still think we are a democracy?  
    We’re a republic that has been illegally forced into democracy for the last ~100 years.
    cornchip
  • Reply 12 of 68
    enuf said:

You want companies to be punished for fighting to protect your privacy? There is nothing elitist about protecting everyone's rights as a citizen.

It is not a matter of whether or not you have something to hide. This expansion of intrusive police powers is the first step in a slippery slope that can lead to abuses that reveal personal information that can limit your ability to achieve your financial and personal goals. Maybe someone uses corporate info gained illicitly to manipulate the stock market and makes your holdings worthless. Don't say it can't happen, because there are countless examples worldwide throughout history.

Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.
    tallest skilhlee1169IanMC2Christopher Pelhamicoco3cornchip
  • Reply 13 of 68
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    ration al said:
    enuf said:

You want companies to be punished for fighting to protect your privacy? There is nothing elitist about protecting everyone's rights as a citizen.

It is not a matter of whether or not you have something to hide. This expansion of intrusive police powers is the first step in a slippery slope that can lead to abuses that reveal personal information that can limit your ability to achieve your financial and personal goals. Maybe someone uses corporate info gained illicitly to manipulate the stock market and makes your holdings worthless. Don't say it can't happen, because there are countless examples worldwide throughout history.

Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.
    No, he wants companies punished for exercising their legal rights. Oh, and being "elitist". 
    cornchip
  • Reply 14 of 68
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    You know what pisses me off about how these politicians? They won't ban people on the terrorist watch list from buying guns but rather punishing companies for securing people's privacy. 
    tallest skilIanMC2jfc1138icoco3cornchip
  • Reply 15 of 68
    Not worried even a bit, even if Apple loses this fight. People will create multitude of open-source encryption projects. It will up to individuals to decide how and by which means they'll encrypt their digital data/devices! 
    IanMC2cornchip
  • Reply 16 of 68
    Meanwhile foreign countries are stuck with the paradox of which should they do first:
    Rub their hands together, or open their arms widely for these dejected yet massively popular, massively profitable, huge tax paying businesses.

• Reply 17 of 68
    Not to worry. It's the Senate, the deliberative body. They don't really do anything - just talk about it, maybe try to grab some headlines.
    It is interesting that they would consider violating the right to privacy, but never the right to bear arms (almost any arms). Privacy did not kill the people in Southern California.
    IanMC2pscooter63cincymac
  • Reply 18 of 68
    If this ever becomes a law I would like to see Apple leave the United States. I wonder how many billions the US govt would lose in revenue.
    SpamSandwichdaysandnightscornchip
  • Reply 19 of 68
    Legislation by reaction: always a winning strategery.
    edited February 2016 cornchip
  • Reply 20 of 68

IanMC2 said:
    If this ever becomes a law I would like to see Apple leave the United States. I wonder how many billions the US govt would lose in revenue.
    Since most of their cash is in Ireland, it's not going to hurt as much as you might hope for.
    singularity