MacMini: How much thinner will it get with the next release?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
I am wondering if Apple decides to make the Mini even thinner. They eliminated the Server option and I have to believe they are going to try to slim it down even further with the next refresh/update.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    Maybe they'll follow the lead of the Mac Pro and make it tall and skinny. 
    Like the AirPort Extreme but metal case. 
  • Reply 2 of 6
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    mattinoz said:
    This would be ideal.   Maybe a little over half the diameter and about as tall as a coke bottle.  
  • Reply 3 of 6

aplnub said:
    I am wondering if Apple decides to make the Mini even thinner. They eliminated the Server option and I have to believe they are going to try to slim it down even further with the next refresh/update.

Thoughts?
    I would hate fir Apple to go thinner for no good reason.   More importantly I'd rather would like to see them increase the wattage capacity of the machine.   This to make sure the Mini will have high performance chips installed in the +45 watt range but also to be able to supply power at USB-C levels to external devices.  It would be nice to be able to hook up high performance storage without needing another AC line.   Further with the advancement in displays we might see USB-C connected displays with just one cable.    So I could see the Mini getting bigger just to supply a bigger power supply.  
  • Reply 4 of 6
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    If there are going to be USB-c displays it would make more sense to me for the power supply to be in the display and give it the ability to power the computer and accessories via the USB-c connection. The display is the most power hungry and least mobile part of the computer. Also makes it the best place to plug-in back up drives, printers, scanners and the like. Allow for single cable laptop connection.

Still can see advantage of high power USB-c Ports on the mini itself.

• Reply 5 of 6
    mattinoz said:
    If there are going to be USB-c displays it would make more sense to me for the power supply to be in the display and give it the ability to power the computer and accessories via the USB-c connection. The display is the most power hungry and least mobile part of the computer. Also makes it the best place to plug-in back up drives, printers, scanners and the like. Allow for single cable laptop connection.

Still can see advantage of high power USB-c Ports on the mini itself.

I'm pretty certain there will be "USB-C" displays, they will likely be using TB mode across the connector.   Now powered off the port is another thing but the thing here is power levels required for a specific display performance metric drop every year.  I can see this being possible for smallish displays right now.  I really don't think the displays are as power hungry as you imagine, at least not modern ones.  I like to think of USB powered displays as forward looking.  

In in any event I can see a lot of good coming from the power levels possible with USB-C ports.   I'd love to see an Oscilloscope that is bus powered.   Also as mentioned higher performance disk drives would be good.  This would be great for custom hardware too.   The only problem I see is that Apple is stingy with its power budget.  
  • Reply 6 of 6
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    mattinoz said:

I would love it if they made it like the AirPort Extreme or Time Capsule. Its design has room for a 3.5" HDD, 15W to 28W Intel CPUs, SSD, etc. The key is the 3.5" HDD and having an SSD. You can outfit with 3 TB, 4 TB, 5 TB Fusion drives. Apple will needs to have a Thunderbolt 4K monitor though, and a Thunderbolt 5K monitor when the cabling allows or they can just settle with a dual-cable, dual Thunderbolt bus solution.