Apple Pencil UI navigation functions to return in next iOS 9.3 beta, Apple says

Posted:
in iPad edited February 2016
Responding to concerns over the crippling of Apple Pencil of usability features in iOS 9.3 beta, namely the ability to navigate iPad Pro's user interface, Apple on Tuesday confirmed such functionality will be restored in the next beta build.

Apple's response comes weeks after AppleInsider first called attention to the apparent gimping of Apple's $99 iPad Pro accessory. Apple Pencil shipped last year to serve primarily as a drawing and writing tool, but the device also doubled as a stylus for Springboard input, menu navigation and other operations normally accomplished with a finger. But that changed with the iOS 9.3 beta release in January.

"We believe a finger will always be the primary way users navigate on an iPad, but we understand that some customers like to use Apple Pencil for this as well and we've been working on ways to better implement this while maintaining compatibility during this latest beta cycle," an Apple spokesperson told The Verge. "We will add this functionality back in the next beta of iOS 9.3."

Initially, iOS beta testers expected Apple to reinstate Pencil's secondary capabilities in an ensuing software update, but as of third beta issued on Monday, the device is still limited to in-app functions like drawing. Following yesterday's beta release, some users began to speculate that the decision to restrict Pencil to drawing activities was a conscious one. Indeed, Apple CDO Jony Ive expressed concern that users might "confuse the role of the Pencil with the role of your finger in iOS."

Apple said it temporarily removed Pencil's ability to act as a finger replacement as it works to refine such functionality, the report said. Full capabilities should be restored in the upcoming iOS 9.3 beta, and will assumedly be included in the firmware's final version.
anantksundaram

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    This is great news!
    netmagedocno42
  • Reply 2 of 26
    Someone should gather up all the posts from the people who were arguing that Apple should not allow UI navigation with the Pencil.
    sirlance99anantksundaramcnocbui
  • Reply 3 of 26
    Johnny Ive: It's not a surface dammit
    bdkennedy1002
  • Reply 4 of 26
    I don't know why they made the cap removable... why not spring-loaded as part of the pen?
    purringpigeon
  • Reply 5 of 26
    I don't know why they made the cap removable... why not spring-loaded as part of the pen?
    Less space for battery. 
    jbdragon
  • Reply 6 of 26
    AppleInsider said:

Apple said it temporarily removed Pencil's ability to act as a finger replacement as it works to refine such functionality, the report said. Full capabilities should be restored in the upcoming iOS 9.3 beta, and will assumedly be included in the firmware's final version.
    If this move was temporary and Apple had always intended to restore UI navigation for the Pencil in the final version, then the release notes for the beta should have included this as a "known issue" along with a statement that it will be corrected.  I think that in this instance, Apple was trying to see if they could get away with removing the feature entirely, but too many people complained.
    edited February 2016 dysamorianetmagecnocbuidocno42
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Blaster said:

I think that in this instance, Apple was trying to see if they could get away with removing the feature entirely, but too many people complained.
    When has that ever stopped Apple from doing whatever it wanted to do? Lots of people complain about the changes in the last few versions of iTunes, including the playlist header that wastes a ton of space. But Apple's not going back. Likewise the grayscale Finder interface seems here to stay, unfortunately.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Blaster said:j
    I think that in this instance, Apple was trying to see if they could get away with removing the feature entirely, but too many people complained.
    I agree.  Apple's phrasing ("...but we understand that some customers like to ...") strongly implies that Apple wanted to eliminate support for Pencil-based navigation but eventually allowed it as a concession to customer demand.
    dysamoriacnocbui
  • Reply 9 of 26
    Blaster said:
    AppleInsider said:

If this move was temporary and Apple had always intended to restore UI navigation for the Pencil in the final version, then the release notes for the beta should have included this as a "known issue" along with a statement that it will be corrected.  I think that in this instance, Apple was trying to see if they could get away with removing the feature entirely, but too many people complained.
    What why would Apple have added it in the first place if they didn't want people using the Pencil for UI navigation? are you supposed to believe that functionality was never intended but some how slipped out? I don't buy it. It's entirely possible that Apple didn't know so many pencil users were using it for UI navigation and didn't think many would notice the missing functionality in the beta.
    edited February 2016 dysamoriadocno42
  • Reply 10 of 26
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Blaster said:
    What why would Apple have added it in the first place if they didn't want people using the Pencil for UI navigation? are you supposed to believe that functionality was never intended but some how slipped out? I don't buy it. It's entirely possible that Apple didn't know so many pencil users were using it for UI navigation and didn't think many would notice the missing functionality in the beta.
    I do think that it got removed in the beta, and only then, because they underestimated how much people were using it.
    If working on the function makes the rest of the beta unusable, it makes sense to remove it temporarily.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Responding to concerns over the crippling of Apple Pencil of usability features in iOS 9.3 beta, namely the ability to navigate iPad Pro's user interface, Apple on Tuesday confirmed such functionality will be restored in the next beta build.

Apple's response comes weeks after AppleInsider first called attention to the apparent gimping of Apple's $99 iPad Pro accessory. Apple Pencil shipped last year to serve primarily as a drawing and writing tool, but the device also doubled as a stylus for Springboard input, menu navigation and other operations normally accomplished with a finger. But that changed with the iOS 9.3 beta release in January.

"We believe a finger will always be the primary way users navigate on an iPad, but we understand that some customers like to use Apple Pencil for this as well and we've been working on ways to better implement this while maintaining compatibility during this latest beta cycle," an Apple spokesperson told The Verge. "We will add this functionality back in the next beta of iOS 9.3."

Initially, iOS beta testers expected Apple to reinstate Pencil's secondary capabilities in an ensuing software update, but as of third beta issued on Monday, the device is still limited to in-app functions like drawing. Following yesterday's beta release, some users began to speculate that the decision to restrict Pencil to drawing activities was a conscious one. Indeed, Apple CDO Jony Ive expressed concern that users might "confuse the role of the Pencil with the role of your finger in iOS."

Blame Jony, the minimalist industrial designer who knows nothing about UI/UX or cares about how his customers might want to use their systems.
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/11/17/jony-ive-apple-pencil-is-clearly-for-marking-not-a-stylus-finger-replacement.
    Such hubris.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 12 of 26
    You guys are such soap opera divas.  Who cares if they wanted to remove it or not?   People liked it, it's being added back to the beta AND with improvements.

The pathetic conspiracy theorizing over a beta is embarrassing.  This is particularly true for sumergo who's got a whole fan fiction Jony Ive story and character motivation imagined as some sort of industrial design supervillian.
    nolamacguyargonaut
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Always remember that you can leave intelligently crafted design comments with Apple on their apple.com/feedback pages. I left one about this feature last night, and perhaps I wasn't just the only one to do so.  Also, while charging the pencil, just stick the cap over on one of the magnets at the iPad's edges, as it sticks there just fine.
    docno42
  • Reply 14 of 26

Isn't this exactly the purpose of betas? Get user feedback on functionality and usability and work it back in?

It's not like the functionality was removed in iOS 9 and will only be added back in iOS 10. Whether Apple intended to remove this functionality in 9.3 and then backtracked is irrelevant since we now know that the functionality will be there in 9.3 GA.

rogifan_olddocno42
  • Reply 15 of 26
    redefiler said:
    The pathetic conspiracy theorizing over a beta is embarrassing.  This is particularly true for sumergo who's got a whole fan fiction Jony Ive story and character motivation imagined as some sort of industrial design supervillian.
    I love the fan fiction super villain comment. I often refer to this fuzzy-headed characterization of Apple as a moustsche-twirling villain trying to screw over its customers with glee...it's such nonsense, isn't it. 
  • Reply 16 of 26
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    The pen has such a stupid design. The charging for example is done by sticking your pen in the back of a charging device. A white stick, sticking out like that, it's so unapple. Easy to break, it looks corny. 
    And the cap gets lost easily (plus it doesn't work as a gum).
    You'd expect some sort of wireless conductive charging going on, something smart. 
    Not that long ago, Apple used not to accept 'good', only 'great'.

Same for the Magic Mouse. After all these years, the only improvements they've came up with is a charger at the bottom instead of the back. Really? 
    Blaster
  • Reply 17 of 26
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    redefiler said:
    You guys are such soap opera divas.  Who cares if they wanted to remove it or not?   People liked it, it's being added back to the beta AND with improvements.

But he's right. The proof is right there in front of you with the flat UI BS that Jony Ive has foisted upon us. Luckily for him and Apple, most consumers blame themselves for bad computer user experience design and tech geeks like change for the sake of change. Otherwise, the design disaster of current iOS user experience design (I have submitted over twenty reports to Apple for actual broken UI behavior since getting my new iPhone and iPad Pro) would've been a marketing disaster too. It HAS negatively impacted users and the sense of Apple knowing what it's doing, but only in a way thats subtle enough to allow everyone to argue about what the real cause of reduced Apple love truly are.

i feel like I was baited and switched into the Apple ecosystem. It's still better than Windows and Linux (every effing variant), so I'm pretty much stuck here, and Apple knows this. They're eroding their previously earned position of authority and respect by degrading their systems and ignoring attention to detail that made them great. It's the same business administration focus that wrecked Apple when Jobs was gone the first time, and he's not coming back a second time. The Steve Jobs card is an annoying one to play in this conversation but it seems pretty clear that the guy was critical to keeping Apple focused on the details that made their product feel robust and superior. iOS feels more and more like android with each passing day. It's still better but it's ugly, clumsy, and inconsistent in behavior to the point of obstructing workflow:

• the keyboard was visible before switching to another app, and the task switcher shows it is still there while switching apps, it shouldn't then vanish and slide back out when returning to the app from another app;

• PDFs shouldn't scroll four pages down just because you locked and unlocked the device;

• trackpad features shouldn't delete the words you've typed while using two hands to type on iPad Pro's keyboard that, by design, invites you to use two hands and more than one finger;

• hidden controls should not magically refuse to unhide (control panel in iOS does this, "buttons" in OS X Mail do this, OS X menu bar does this on full screen apps, etc);

• the control panel shouldn't come up when touch dragging the 123 button;

• app thumbnails should reflect the actual state of the app (they often fail to);

• Safari tab thumbnails should reflect the actual state of the tabs (they frequently fail to);

• in iOS, text selection and editing on websites is incredibly inconsistent and sometimes utterly broken. This includes Apple's own forums and feedback form websites (just try to select text in the feedback subject or scroll to the hidden end of the text in the text box). Half of the time, selections are displayed as broken: the text you selected is selected but the blue area and handles are somewhere else entirely. Common with forms like this comment box;

• Safari shouldn't scroll horizontally just because it suddenly decided to scroll vertically so you could actually see the text you're typing into a text box. 

• text shouldn't be covered by the onscreen keyboard (as it is all over the web and even in Apple's own Mail app). Here on this comment box I have to keep manually moving the page. Yet, on Facebook, the competing behaviors between page and operating system makes the opposite occur (it scrolls so far away from the keyboard that it's easy to be left to feel you've lost your place);

• all the usual complaints about the disaster of UX that iOS 7 brought (unintuitive controls that lack discoverability or bounding boxes, text as buttons, lack of visual cues as to what controls are and do, lack of distinguishing features between areas of interactivity and non, loss of contrast and readability, uncomfortably white/grey screen areas, wasted resources on disorienting visual effects like parallax scrolling to make up for elimination of shading and contrast in springboard icons, etc);

i I could go on. Oh. There. The bugs in autocorrect, depending on what websites you're typing on. Apple's own discussion forums are full of that problem on every iOS I've used (6, 9, three different devices). 

ios is a freaking MESS. iOS 6 was fine. It didn't "look dated" and didn't need to be "refreshed" with a dramatic new look. The utility of the hidden quick access control panel and the improvements to Siri and maps (not the flyover BS) are undoubtedly good things, and I have repeatedly been pleased to have them since upgrading my device from an iPhone 4, but these additions did not require flushing down the toilet the decades (and millions of dollars) of validated science in human interface design that Apple themselves pioneered. 
  • Reply 18 of 26
    foggyhill said:
    I do think that it got removed in the beta, and only then, because they underestimated how much people were using it.
    If working on the function makes the rest of the beta unusable, it makes sense to remove it temporarily.
    A poster on macrumors who says he has friends who work at Apple said the functionality was always coming back. Not sure why it didn't make the release notes. But as I said it makes no sense for them to add the functionality in the first place if they are opposed to it on principle.
    netmageicoco3
  • Reply 19 of 26
    dacloo said:
    The pen has such a stupid design. The charging for example is done by sticking your pen in the back of a charging device. A white stick, sticking out like that, it's so unapple. Easy to break, it looks corny. 
    And the cap gets lost easily (plus it doesn't work as a gum).
    You'd expect some sort of wireless conductive charging going on, something smart. 
    Not that long ago, Apple used not to accept 'good', only 'great'.

Same for the Magic Mouse. After all these years, the only improvements they've came up with is a charger at the bottom instead of the back. Really? 
    Oh good grief, the pencil comes with an adapter for charging. But you what? I've never used it because it's so much easier to just stick it in the iPad to charge. It only takes a few minutes. As far as the mouse goes, it's a freaking wireless mouse!! It's not supposed to be used while charging! Also in the time it takes someone to get coffee the thing is charged for the day. A 2 hour charge gives you a months use. Such a stupid non-issue.
    nolamacguyicoco3docno42
  • Reply 20 of 26
    brett421 said:
    Always remember that you can leave intelligently crafted design comments with Apple on their apple.com/feedback pages. I left one about this feature last night, and perhaps I wasn't just the only one to do so.  Also, while charging the pencil, just stick the cap over on one of the magnets at the iPad's edges, as it sticks there just fine.
    I do this all the time. Stick the cap on the bezel where the magnets are. Holds it in place perfectly for the few minutes while my pencil is charging.