AppleInsider podcast talks iPad Pro as Mac replacement, iPhone capacities, Apple v. the FBI & more

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2016
This week on the AppleInsider podcast, Neil and Victor look at the latest relating to Apple's new 9.7-inch iPad and how similar it might be to the 12.9-inch iPad Pro. They also discuss the latest in smaller iPhone news, and talk through the Apple v. FBI encryption debate.

Apple iPhone 5se schematic.

AppleInsider editors Neil Hughes and Victor Marks go free form once again, chatting about:

• iPad Pro in podcasting
  • Apple Pencil support for navigation coming back in iOS 9.3 betas
  • A rumoured 'iPad Pro' 9.7"
  • The smaller 'iPhone 5se'
  • Siri on Mac
  • A 256gb storage chip for iOS devices
  • Siri on Mac
  • Apple to testify in Congress
  • Apple strengthening iOS and iCloud security

The show is available on iTunes and your favorite podcast apps by searching for "AppleInsider." Click here to listen, subscribe, and don't forget to rate our show.

Listen to the embedded SoundCloud feed below:

The show is also available on Stitcher Radio.

Show note links:

Check out the deals! Killer Deals: Apple's 13" MacBook Pro (2.7GHz, 8GB, 256GB) for $1,329; 128GB iPad Pros for $869

Rumor: Apple to launch 9.7" iPad Pro -- not Air -- in March with Pencil & Smart Keyboard support

Samsung unveils new high-speed 256GB storage chips for smartphones

Purportedly leaked 4-inch iPhone schematics bear striking resemblance to iPhone 6

Rumor: Apple will finally bring Siri to Mac with this year's OS X 10.12

Apple Pencil UI navigation functions to return in next iOS 9.3 beta, Apple says

Apple lead attorney Bruce Sewell to testify before US Congress on encryption debate March 1

Apple to argue First Amendment rights in FBI decryption battle

Facing challenges from FBI, Apple vows to strengthen encryption even further

Tim Cook: FBI is asking Apple to create 'software equivalent of cancer'

Follow our hosts on Twitter: @thisisneil and @vmarks.

Feedback and comments are always appreciated. Please contact the AppleInsider podcast at [email protected] and follow us on Twitter @appleinsider.

Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at [email protected].

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    You guys got it wrong, as most people have, about the lack of the top row of buttons on the Smart Keyboard. The Apple designers are way ahead of you. You commented that every Apple keyboard before this has had the top row. That's because every keyboard before this could be used with a Mac, and the top row function keys were designed back in the day before iPads for OS X. Those function keys were not designed for iOS. The only top row key I regularly use on my iMac is the Esc key which is useless in iOS. So when Apple designed a keyboard for use only with the iPad Pro that will never be used with a Mac, they got rid of a row of keys that are not required. Yes, they also did it to save space, but why not get rid of something if it's not needed and will save space. And here's another thing: virtually every app has a row of relevant buttons onscreen at the bottom. The virtue of this is that those buttons can be different in different apps. Can't do that with a physical keyboard. Is the Smart Keyboard perfect? No, nothing is. I do look forward to a Shortcut for 'dictate' and some visual clue onscreen to tell whether the Caps Lock is on or off. Bottom line: Apple got it right in eliminating the top row of function keys.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    maccad said:
    You guys got it wrong, as most people have, about the lack of the top row of buttons on the Smart Keyboard. The Apple designers are way ahead of you. You commented that every Apple keyboard before this has had the top row. That's because every keyboard before this could be used with a Mac, and the top row function keys were designed back in the day before iPads for OS X. Those function keys were not designed for iOS. The only top row key I regularly use on my iMac is the Esc key which is useless in iOS. So when Apple designed a keyboard for use only with the iPad Pro that will never be used with a Mac, they got rid of a row of keys that are not required. Yes, they also did it to save space, but why not get rid of something if it's not needed and will save space. And here's another thing: virtually every app has a row of relevant buttons onscreen at the bottom. The virtue of this is that those buttons can be different in different apps. Can't do that with a physical keyboard. Is the Smart Keyboard perfect? No, nothing is. I do look forward to a Shortcut for 'dictate' and some visual clue onscreen to tell whether the Caps Lock is on or off. Bottom line: Apple got it right in eliminating the top row of function keys.
    The button I miss more than anything on Apple's keyboard is the home button. Most third-party keyboards for iPad (including Logitech Create) have one in their top row of keys.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    I am missing little tiny fingers with standardized finger tips and charge in them to operate those unnatural screen based keys in non-tactile way. I think maybe I hire someone to type messages for me on those freakish devices. Top row? How about sound volume and mute control? I use it all the time from that top row not to mention switching modes (I do not plan on hugging on device to reach different buttons around it's case). You need row of macro/function keys no doubt about it or you are using device in very limited and messy way while perhaps not multitasking. I also need screen space in order to work with 2-6 applications at the same time. bring me and iPad with proper keyboard and two 27-32 inch inch monitors and I will drop my Mac's. And I am losing my vision with timy "high quality" printing on small Retina screen. If you are young then wait and see what happens in 20 years with your vision to understand what I was saying. It is not about number of pixels and small screens with large amount information anymore, but about how much of this information can be read and processed by your brain.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    nhughes said:
    maccad said:
    The button I miss more than anything on Apple's keyboard is the home button. Most third-party keyboards for iPad (including Logitech Create) have one in their top row of keys.
    Command + Shift + H = Home. 
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Never thought that I would say this...
    I got an iPad Pro back in December to try it.  My hope was to travel more with an iPad and less with my MB Pro 13.  I've had an iPad Air 2 but the lack of a "full sized" keyboard case was just too slow for typing due to the typing errors created by the irregular keyspace.  Also having to carry a separate full sized keyboard made it cumbersome.  I was really skeptical about the iPad Pro after reading many of the initial reviews about "it's not a laptop replacement."  After 30 days I was unsure about it because I still didn't have the Smart Keyboard due to back orders.  I almost returned it but decided to keep it and wait for the keyboard.  WELL, after receiving the Smart Keyboard & Pencil and using all for 6 weeks...I HAVEN'T TAKEN MY LAPTOP ON A SINGLE TRIP.  I can honestly say that I'm beginning to believe that the iPad Pro with Smart Keyboard, Pencil, and Apple Back Cover is a laptop replacement setup for me.  The mobility and power is working.  It's just so easy to take it with me and use it in all settings - office, home, road, coffee shop, Etc.  I am SO GLAD I GOT IT!  I believe there will be more and more reports like mine.
    pulseimagesMichelleNotherday
  • Reply 6 of 8
    iPads can never be a Mac replacement. Just like a motorcycle can not be a replacement of full fledge 4x4 SUV.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    aegean said:
    iPads can never be a Mac replacement. Just like a motorcycle can not be a replacement of full fledge 4x4 SUV.
    Or, like a 747 cannot be a Space Shuttle.  In that case, I'm happy with my 747 & Space Shuttle. 
  • Reply 8 of 8
    It's all relative whether a Pro can replace a note book. My spouse and better half surprised me and purchased an iPad Pro minus the keyboard. He knew I like the glass and honestly couldn't see using an external keyboard because if I was going to do that, I'd use my MBP/r 13". Well, I rarely take the MBP out. Im only using it to do some hard drive combining, and everything else is on the Pro. If you are a lite-weight notebook user, the Pro can definitely replace it. If you are a heavy notebook or desktop user, then it may be a little harder, but I'll tell you--it gets easier every week. And having more "desktop space" is great. With the newest versions of MS Office, and several other apps, I'm missing my MBP less and less. Because the Pro is hardware capable enough to compete with netbooks, notebooks, and even some desktops, its only limitation is that laid on it by iOS. As iOS apps get better at taking advantage of the 64bit structure and full finger motions, as well as the pencil, it will convert more and more notebook users. Just MHO. By the way, when I just feel like using a keyboard, the Bluetooth Apple KB works like a charm!