Sling TV, AMC poised to bring apps to fourth-gen Apple TV [u]

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited March 2016
Subscribers to Sling TV or AMC may soon be able to watch those services through native apps for the fourth-generation Apple TV, a pair of leaks indicated on Wednesday.

An AMC app will be "released shortly," according to a representative for the network, who responded to an AppleInsider reader. The person didn't say whether other networks tied to AMC, like IFC or BBC America, would be getting separate apps.

A Sling TV app, meanwhile, briefly appeared on the tvOS App Store on Wednesday morning, MacRumors reported. One person said he was even able to download and use it, though it was quickly removed from the App Store.

via MacRumors
via MacRumors

Images of the app suggest an interface similar to what Sling uses on other platforms, including a channel selector that pops up while live video continues. It's not clear why it was pulled, but apps will sometimes appear on Apple's other App Stores prematurely.

Sling TV, notably, lets users stream live TV channels at a cost lower than a cable or satellite package. The cheapest bundle is in fact just $20 per month, which could put Sling in competition with Apple's rumored streaming TV service. Progress in launching that service has allegedly been impeded by Apple's insistence on a similarly "skinny" channel bundle costing less than $30 per month.

Update: The Sling TV screenshots have been revealed as fakes.
josha

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    The AMC app for iOS could use some work. 
  • Reply 2 of 19
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    I guess the person who leaked the email did not read the part about disclosing  the email is prohibited. lol
    mike1
  • Reply 3 of 19
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    sog35 said:
    what about AmazonPrime? why is this taking so long?
    obviously apple is blocking it.  /s
  • Reply 4 of 19
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    sog35 said:
    Amazon is a competitor, not a partner. Wouldn't be surprised if we never saw an Amazon app. Apple does allow Amazon apps for other devices. Maybe it's Amazon's choice.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Subscribers to Sling TV or AMC may soon be able to watch those services through native apps for the fourth-generation Apple TV, a pair of leaks indicated on Wednesday.

An AMC app will be "released shortly," according to a representative for the network, who responded to an AppleInsider reader. The person didn't say whether other networks tied to AMC, like IFC or BBC America, would be getting separate apps.

A Sling TV app, meanwhile, briefly appeared on the tvOS App Store on Wednesday morning, MacRumors reported. One person said he was even able to download and use it, though it was quickly removed from the App Store.

Sling TV, notably, lets users stream live TV channels at a cost lower than a cable or satellite package. The cheapest bundle is in fact just $20 per month, which could put Sling in competition with Apple's rumored streaming TV service. Progress in launching that service has allegedly been impeded by Apple's insistence on a similarly "skinny" channel bundle costing less than $30 per month.
    I like the direction Apple TV is going. With  TV on the Net Job's Apple TV is finally getting to do the better smart TV job.
    Also now that Google is taking over many smart TV softwares  an Apple "non spying" smarter TV is quite desirable.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    sog35 said:
    A couple of months ago someone reported an alleged conversation between themselves and an Amazon rep who allegedly said that Amazon was working on an app for the ATV4 and that it would be coming soon. The story was picked up by various Apple centric websites and reported as fact. This is how rumors become fact with no corroboration whatsoever. It was a rumor Fact: There is no Amazon Prime app yet. Fact: Amazon still does not allow the sale of any Apple TV or Google Chromecast product on its website because supposedly they don’t “properly support” Amazon video. Amazon only sells its own Fire TV products and Roku products. End of story My personal opinion? It’s never coming ever because Amazon sees Amazon Prime as their iTunes. You can’t rent iTunes videos or listen to Apple Music on a Fire TV so you can’t watch or listen to Amazon Prime content on your Apple TV. iPhone and iPad apps not withstanding.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    radster360radster360 Posts: 546member
    I was waiting for the AppleTV version of Sling TV before buying the AppleTV. Though, there are some serious issues with current version of Sling TV. For example, I should by default watch what is playing now and not show my channel lineup from where I left off last time. It should remember where I left off last time, but shouldn't be default. The search needs to be improved. I hope they do use Siri for it. It should also support foreign language titles too.

Finally, the performance is horrible. The switch off from one device to other is horrible. 
  • Reply 8 of 19
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I'm sure Amazon Prime will come eventually.

Anyone disappointed with Apple TV's universal search? It seems to only listen to what it wants. If I search "Bob's Burgers" I get a nice clean interface. Searching "Spongebob" pulls up a menu from the bottom with tons of compilation releases and finding a specific epoisode or season is tedious. Searching some shows gives me a "I can't help you" error even if they're on Netflix/Hulu.
    Anyone else experiencing this? Do you think this will be fixed?
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 9 of 19
    I am thinking that Sling TV will probably be a guest during Apple's March event. Similar to how HBO made an appearance last year to demonstrate their new Apple TV app. 

• Reply 10 of 19
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Sling TV, please remove those garbage channels: Viceland, El Rey, Polaris+, Maker, Flama, Free Form, Newsy, Local Now...these are fcking junks.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    cali said:

Anyone disappointed with Apple TV's universal search? It seems to only listen to what it wants. If I search "Bob's Burgers" I get a nice clean interface. Searching "Spongebob" pulls up a menu from the bottom with tons of compilation releases and finding a specific epoisode or season is tedious. Searching some shows gives me a "I can't help you" error even if they're on Netflix/Hulu.
    Have you tried searching for Spongebob's Burgers?
  • Reply 12 of 19
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    cali said:

Have you tried searching for Spongebob's Burgers?
    They're called Crabby Patties.  :D
  • Reply 13 of 19
    customtbcustomtb Posts: 346member
    Assuming this AMC is just for subscribers and not stand alone?
  • Reply 14 of 19
    customtbcustomtb Posts: 346member
    Is SlingTV just live streaming? Can't imagine going back to watching whats on right now as opposed to what I want.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    customtb said:
    Assuming this AMC is just for subscribers and not stand alone?

I wish they would but they don't want to rile the cable and satellite companies. AMC and TCM were the only reasons I kept cable for as long as I did but in the end, I couldn't justify the price and dropped cable TV last year. I put up an outside antenna and am quite happy between over the air MeTV, Antenna Tv, the local channels, Netflix and Apple TV at a much lower cost. I wasn't a big tv viewer before and have cut back even more and with Netflix and Apple TV I have a big selection when needed.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    harry wildharry wild Posts: 807member
    Apple is so late to bring Sling TV to the Apple TV! Apple was the first vendor that Sling TV came to for its services.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    harry wildharry wild Posts: 807member
    customtb said:
    Is SlingTV just live streaming? Can't imagine going back to watching whats on right now as opposed to what I want.
    Sling TV gives you the key to unlock WatchESPN - ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3 along with earlier shows in the database; TNT, AMC, A&E, History, History2, Cartoon, CNN, Bloomberg, HGTV, Lifetime, IFC, etc... are live streaming channels.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    The Sling TV app was confirmed to be fake. The person who posted it admitted it was all a hoax. You should edit this post to reflect that so people stop believing this.
    edited April 2016