New iPhone 7 case rumor depicts thinner body, nearly flush camera

Posted:
in iPhone
Rumored case designs purportedly leaked from Apple supplier Catcher Technology suggest that the next major iPhone design will feature a streamlined rear case design with larger cutout accommodating a virtually flush rear camera lens.

Source: NowhereElse.fr

Published by French blog NowhereElse.fr, the leak images portray a redesigned rear case lacking the band seams that currently cross the top and bottom of iPhone 6/6s models.

Source: NowhereElse.fr

The rear camera is depicted as being surrounded by a larger black orifice, explaining that the new design results in a "slight bulging outgrowth" rather than today's protruding lens.

The source of the images said that the case "seems slightly thinner than the iPhone 6s, confirming in passing the lack of a headphone jack port."

Steve Hemmerstoffer has posted a full body rendering on the site, depicting an artist's conception of the rear of the upcoming iPhone 7. The new model is expected to arrive this fall.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Please, Apple. Not thinner.
    SpamSandwichoscarg6Sgoldfishredgeminipa
  • Reply 2 of 45
    roakeroake Posts: 809member
    Looks like the dual-camera system will wait for 2017 or 2018.  I guess the advantage to the wait is that Apple will refine the design more; I expect 3D photography (at least where you can change perspective parallax-style) and ability to change focus after the photo.  Also better photon-gathering for low light photography, multi-focus stills, etc.

Still, the camera is one of the few components that gets nicely upgraded every single iteration of the iPhone.  I'm curious what will come with this upgrade, other than thinner design, of course.
  • Reply 3 of 45
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    roake said:
    ...3D photography...
    So does that mean the iPhone 8 will have an autostereoscopic retina display? Because that’s the only place left to go with displays and it means doubling the pixels again.
  • Reply 4 of 45
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I understand that over time the iPhone is going to be lighter (and as a result, thinner) but given where battery chemistry is currently and the massive degree to which out-of-the-box battery life has become important in 2016 I think Apple's possible decision to even slightly thin-out the iPhone 7 over the 6s is misguided.

If thinning out this new phone means people even lose an additional 30 minutes over the life it would have had it's not a good decision. But I'm sure that would prove to be a low estimate for what would be gained on an iPhone 7 running an Apple A10 in iPhone 6s case-dimensions. And by not thinning would it mean literally no camera bump whatsoever? If so then thinning makes even less sense. This time people do want a faster horse, not a car that's breaks down.
    edited March 2016 tallest skilcornchip19836Sgoldfishchuck1252
  • Reply 5 of 45
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member
    roake said:
    Looks like the dual-camera system will wait for 2017 or 2018.  I guess the advantage to the wait is that Apple will refine the design more; I expect 3D photography (at least where you can change perspective parallax-style) and ability to change focus after the photo.  Also better photon-gathering for low light photography, multi-focus stills, etc.

Still, the camera is one of the few components that gets nicely upgraded every single iteration of the iPhone.  I'm curious what will come with this upgrade, other than thinner design, of course.
    The case on this leak is depicted for the iPhone 7.  All rumors that I've read thus far claim that the dual-lens camera system is for the iPhone 7 Plus or possibly iPhone 7 Pro, which is a new addition to the iPhone Plus models. So there's still a good chance that we see that this year.
  • Reply 6 of 45
    roake said:
    Looks like the dual-camera system will wait for 2017 or 2018. I guess the advantage to the wait is that Apple will refine the design more.
    If they need to add more features it can be done via firmware. They'd surely have basic features in there already. No, the goal here as per the Apple up-sell model is to market the dual camera system for a special version of the 7 and charge more for that, $100-200. After all the goal of making the best products in the world is not number 1 for Apple. The goal is to maximise profit for shortterm-inspired monetary gain.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 7 of 45
    macarenamacarena Posts: 365member
    Apple's ecosystem is gradually becoming a big contributor to its profits. Apple Pay is just getting started off, and in 3 years could be contributing $10B to  Apple profits. Same with Apple music, Apple TV, App Store, etc.

These will only get bigger with time.

At some point, Apple will be happier making less money from hardware, if it means making more money from the ecosystem. And more importantly, broadbasing the ecosystem.

Don't write off this possibility - it is just a question of time. And this ecosystem will be the ultimate guarantor of Apple's continued success.
    asdasd
  • Reply 8 of 45
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Variations mean choice. I expect to pay for choices I make, and not for ones I don't. Storage I don't need or camera capabilities I don't want I won't have to choose. Those I do, I will. 

I like that. 

What I don't like is the pathetic way this app and site treat editing on a mobile device. 
    edited March 2016 mac_dog1983nolamacguy
  • Reply 9 of 45
    ireland said:
    I understand that over time the iPhone is going to be lighter (and as a result, thinner) but given where battery chemistry is currently and the massive degree to which out-of-the-box battery life has become important in 2016 I think Apple's possible decision to even slightly thin-out the iPhone 7 over the 6s is misguided.

Just do the same thing I do.  Put it in low power mode all the time.  Unfortunately you have to reset it every time you charge it though.  I'd love to be able to customize command center and put the button there.
  • Reply 10 of 45
    Just do the same thing I do.  Put it in low power mode all the time.
    Or, you know, don't thin the phone.
    6Sgoldfishelijahgtallest skilcnocbui
  • Reply 11 of 45
    If all the 7 is offering is thinner and a bump to new processor then I expect the stock price to tank. I sold all my remaining appl stock last Friday 
  • Reply 12 of 45
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    If all the 7 is offering is thinner and a bump to new processor then I expect the stock price to tank. I sold all my remaining appl stock last Friday 
    Because of an almost year off rumor?

Sure you did. 
    edited March 2016 patchythepiratenolamacguy
  • Reply 13 of 45
    oscargoscarg Posts: 22member
    More idiotic regressions from Apple. This "thinner" mania has rendered its products nearly useless. Oh, unless you want to bury your "thin, elegant" iPhone in a bulky, tacky battery case. When Apple itself has to introduced a humpbacked silicone sarcophagus to make its own phone useful, you have utter design failure. And that's what the pompous hack Jony Ive brings to the table: no advancement, but rather regressions that cripple Apple's products to the point of uselessness. NO HEADPHONE JACK? You have to be kidding. Nobody but NOBODY should vote for that stupidity with their money. It's as if Apple can't learn. Remember the disastrous Shuffle that had no controls and required special headphones with a button in their cord and a gimped Morse code to control the thing? Even Apple yanked it off the market and replaced it with the previous design. Then there's the idiotic MacBook that has only one port: an outdated USB port. It doesn't even utilize the modern and extremely versatile Thunderbolt port, which Apple championed! Instead, you get a computer that you can't charge while using peripherals, and has no video output for TVs, projectors, or external monitors. Apple is done. Consumers: Send a message. Don't buy stupidity.
    edited March 2016 6Sgoldfishchuck1252elijahgtonestertallest skil
  • Reply 14 of 45
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    This should've been iPhone 6 design: no camera hump and vivid antenna line. This design is 99% of iPhone 6. If this is iPhone 7 design, I'll keep my 6+ until iPhone 8. 
    6Sgoldfishchuck1252
  • Reply 15 of 45
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    oscarg said:
    More idiotic regressions from Apple. This "thinner" mania has rendered its products nearly useless. Oh, unless you want to bury your "thin, elegant" iPhone in a bulky, tacky battery case. When Apple itself has to introduced a humpbacked silicone sarcophagus to make its own phone useful, you have utter design failure. And that's what the pompous hack Jony Ive brings to the table: no advancement, but rather regressions that cripple Apple's products to the point of uselessness. NO HEADPHONE JACK? You have to be kidding. Nobody but NOBODY should vote for that stupidity with their money. It's as if Apple can't learn. Remember the disastrous Shuffle that had no controls and required special headphones with a button in their cord and a gimped Morse code to control the thing? Even Apple yanked it off the market and replaced it with the previous design. Then there's the idiotic MacBook that has only one port: an outdated USB port. It doesn't even utilize the modern and extremely versatile Thunderbolt port, which Apple championed! Instead, you get a computer that you can't charge while using peripherals, and has no video output for TVs, projectors, or external monitors. Apple is done. Consumers: Send a message. Don't buy stupidity.
    What the fuck, dude? Need anger management? If you don't like it, go buy Android. No need to spew anger here.
    zimmermannnolamacguyasdasd
  • Reply 16 of 45
    oscarg said:

Don't hold back bro. Tell us how you really feel!

macky the mackychuck1252elijahg
  • Reply 17 of 45
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    jfc1138 said:
    Variations mean choice. I expect to pay for choices I make, and not for ones I don't. Storage I don't need or camera capabilities I don't want I won't have to choose. Those I do, I will. 

I like that. 

What I don't like is the pathetic way this app and site treat editing on a mobile device. 
    I totally agree with you on the editing of comments in the mobile app...it is absolutely atrocious! The worst that I've come across. Editing went much smoother with this site's former system.
    elijahgnolamacguy
  • Reply 18 of 45
    maxxe2maxxe2 Posts: 11member
    I don't need a thinner phone. I prefer higher processing power, larger battery and a better camera!
    6Sgoldfishchuck1252elijahg
  • Reply 19 of 45
    Wouldn't get my knickers in a twist for a(nother) rumour. The rendered update of the flush camera and redesigned antenna line, however, looks exactly like what Apple should have done already for the iPhone 6S, had they actually paid attention to the customer/press criticism, and rather insubstantial in terms of a two-year device cycle. While Apple indeed doesn't have to redefine the wheel with each iPhone generation, it can sure afford to push the industrial design of its wheels much further. Its current product line, from phones to computers, reeks of complacency and overconfidence.

If I may pigeonhole my own wishlist for the iPhone 7: a bezel-less iPhone with a smaller device footprint. Improved material contrast, eg. inky black phones like the iPhone 5 instead of that ‘space grey’ that keeps getting greyer with each iteration. More in depth: Apple can use that patent they filed a couple years ago for encasing the electronics of iDevices within slabs of glass, and the just-filed patent for 3D printing Liquidmetal components. Perhaps it could hint towards their next design milestone. Think about it: sapphire/glass slabs lined with Liquidmetal details. That would facilitate wireless/inductive charging out of the box. One thing I absolutely don't want, and I'm sure a lot of people would agree with me, is a thinner device, it feels flimsy enough as it is. Make the lens completely flush, improve battery life, and leave the headphone jack where it is. Now, that would be a phone for the ages.

I’d love to see Apple release actually innovative objects of desire again.
    edited March 2016 chuck1252
  • Reply 20 of 45
    GoreckiGorecki Posts: 29member
    The back looks EXACTLY like the iPod Touch. The location of camera, its size, the flash. Except for the antenna separators. :((

Come on Apple, you can do better than this!

Btw, the iPhone 6S is 7.1 mm thick, iPod Touch is 6.1 mm, and still has the audiojack.
    6Sgoldfish