Apple 'committed to Ireland' regardless of EU ruling on Irish tax deals, VP says

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple is "committed to Ireland," whatever might happen in an European Commission investigation into Irish tax deals, the company's VP of European operations said to a European Parliament panel on Tuesday.

"We feel that we've paid every cent of tax that is due in Ireland," argued Cathy Kearney, according to Bloomberg. "We don't feel that there has been state aid involved and I suppose we look forward to that outcome happening at the end of the day and being vindicated in that way. I would say that the Irish government also agrees with that view."

The commission is examining whether Ireland extended preferential tax treatment to Apple, which would constitute illegal state aid under European Union regulations. While EU countries are allowed to offer tax breaks, they must do so equally in the interests of competition.

Apple's European operations are centered in Ireland, where the company also manufactures iMacs, and funnels much of its international revenue in order to minimize its tax obligations. A datacenter should eventually be constructed in Galway County, assuming it passes environmental scrutiny.

The company was originally reported to be facing the European Parliament on Wednesday. Other multinational corporations -- namely Google, IKEA, and McDonald's -- also appeared at a Tuesday hearing to defend their tax arrangements.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    latifbplatifbp Posts: 544member
    The EU can eat a bag of d---ks
    ibilljbdragon
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Apple 'committed to Ireland.' You'd have to be.
    latifbp
  • Reply 3 of 6
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Even 12% is a damn attractive tax rate.  Which is why many find it so galling that Apple pushed it even further.
    singularitycnocbui
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Another penalty to be paid for joining the European Union, more control by a bureaucratic entity.  I'd love to  see multiple ountries exit the EU!
    latifbpjbdragonc0lapse
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Another penalty to be paid for joining the European Union, more control by a bureaucratic entity.  I'd love to  see multiple ountries exit the EU!
    You won't have long to wait. The UK will probably be the first to leave. Mind you it could take 10 years to untangle everything.
    I'm voting to stay in b.t.w. Not that it will make a blind bit of difference. Boris Johnson will become PM in October. (Shudder)

Who's next? Place your bets here.
    :)
  • Reply 6 of 6
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    You won't have long to wait. The UK will probably be the first to leave. Mind you it could take 10 years to untangle everything.
    I'm voting to stay in b.t.w. Not that it will make a blind bit of difference. Boris Johnson will become PM in October. (Shudder)

Who's next? Place your bets here.
    :)
    Hope The Netherlands. We have a referendum about Ukraine in April, as a test case for the sentiment in Holland concerning the whole EU.
    edited March 2016