Apple enlists help of Cookie Monster to highlight 'Hey Siri' in new iPhone 6s ad

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2016
Apple on Wednesday shared a new iPhone 6s ad starring Sesame Street's Cookie Monster and focusing on "Hey Siri," a new hands-free control function introduced last year.

The minute-long spot posted to YouTube, titled "Timer," finds the famously famished blue Muppet doing what he loves most -- baking cookies -- with a little help from Apple's always-on Hey Siri feature.

A well-crafted ad, "Timer" starts out with Cookie Monster popping a tray of cookies into the oven, but instead of setting a cooking timer by hand, he invokes the built-in virtual assistant. Presumably because his hands are dirty.

While waiting, he asks Siri to play his "Waiting Playlist," which aptly kicks off with Jim Croce's ballad "Time in a Bottle." The remainder of the commercial shows the Muppet biding his time, paging through a cookbook, playing with and eating kitchen utensils, putting on an impromptu puppet show with oven mitts and, of course, constantly checking and rechecking his iPhone's timer. His impatience is palpable because cookies are delicious.

Apple previously highlighted Hey Siri functionality in a commercial that aired in December.
brakkentallest skilgtr

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Clever and amusing.

Google generally ignores cookies.
    edited March 2016 zeus423morecklolliversuddenly newtonmagman1979lostkiwijony0
  • Reply 2 of 16
    I love that ending - "The number of the day is 6 and the letter is S".
    gtrmrmarkdemaiojbishop1039morecklolliversuddenly newton
  • Reply 3 of 16
    I love that ending - "The number of the day is 6 and the letter is S".
    I didn't even notice that...thanks for pointing it out. that just made a cute commercial really interesting...it's the little things, isn't it. 
    morecklolliver
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Clever, but it reminded me of when Oscar The Grouch was on "Portlandia".
  • Reply 5 of 16
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Good commercial! 

That's one of the better Apple commercials that I've seen in quite a while, in my opinion at least.

I actually use my iPhone and iOS devices exactly like the Cookie Monster, whenever I'm cooking something or preparing food. It's so simple, it's handsfree, it's quick, and it works good. I use the timer and alarms to keep track of various things every day.
    edited March 2016 gtr
  • Reply 6 of 16
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    That’s adorable. I love the little ending tag.

Wish they weren’t owned by Disney.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    That’s adorable. I love the little ending tag.

Wish they weren’t owned by Disney.
    They are not. Sesame Street is owned by The Sesame Street workshop. They recently did a deal with HBO for them to air the shows 9 months before they air on PBS. 

Maybe be you are thinking of the Muppets, which is owned by Disney. 
  • Reply 8 of 16
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Setting cooking timers are pretty much the only time I use Siri.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    Cookie Monster is the best.
    gtr
  • Reply 10 of 16
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Tim Cookie
    messagepad2100tallest skilgtr
  • Reply 11 of 16
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    irnchriz said:
    They are not. Sesame Street is owned by The Sesame Street workshop. They recently did a deal with HBO for them to air the shows 9 months before they air on PBS. 

Maybe be you are thinking of the Muppets, which is owned by Disney. 
    Oh, I thought they fell under Jim Henson Studios themselves.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Loved it! Good job!

• Reply 13 of 16
    I see a kitchen and hear Jim Croce's "Time in a Bottle," but Quicksilver is nowhere to be found?
  • Reply 14 of 16
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,278member
    The best!  Where are the cookie trolls?
  • Reply 15 of 16
    This commercial causes Siri on my step-dad's iPhone to set its timer. It's done it twice now. Ha! 
  • Reply 16 of 16
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    I haven't seen that ad yet on UK TV but the current one about 3D touch is really good until the stupid idiot going on about "I'm booking my flight, I'm not booking my flight. Oh I've missed my flight".
    Who on earth thought that was a good thing to highlight in an ad?!!! If it's an attempt at humour to me it fails.