Alleged cases for 'iPhone 7' & 'iPhone SE' may support rumored features

Posted:
in iPhone
A video posted to YouTube on Thursday depicts what are said to be two Chinese-made cases for Apple's upcoming "iPhone 7" and 4-inch "iPhone SE," potentially supporting rumors about the devices' features.

The supposed "iPhone 7" case, obtained by Unbox Therapy, appears to have a bigger and asymmetrical camera opening when compared with cases for the iPhone 6/6s. That could suggest that both the regular and Plus versions of the new phone will use dual-lens cameras, but it's also possible that the standard model will simply have a large single-lens system. So far the dual-lens upgrade has only been rumored for Plus units.

The bottom of the case may support the idea that Apple is abandoning a headphone jack in favor of using Bluetooth and Lightning audio. A cutout where the 3.5mm jack would normally be instead matches a nearby speaker opening, also suggesting that the "iPhone 7" will have twin speaker ports.

The "iPhone SE" case, meanwhile, indicates that the device will share design traits with the iPhone 5 and 5s, including rounded volume buttons. The positioning of those buttons has changed though, which may align with rumors that the SE will have curved edges like recent iPhones.

It's possible that one or both cases are only based on rumors, especially as the SE case is labeled as being for the "5se." It is a regular occurrence, however, for specifications to be leaked to Chinese case makers, which have a vested interest in beating competitors to market.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    The bottom of the case may support the idea that Apple is abandoning a headphone jack in favor of using Bluetooth and Lightning audio. A cutout where the 3.5mm jack would normally be instead matches a nearby speaker opening, also suggesting that the "iPhone 7" will have twin speaker ports.
    Except the 4/4s also had symmetrical cutouts on each side of the dock connector, one for the speaker and one for the microphone. So it doesn't necessarily prove twin speakers at all. Indeed the cutout clearly shows the current 3.5mm jack and current mic fitting easily inside the cutout. So not necessarily a guarantee the headphone jack is going away either.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    I suspect we'll see significant advances in the camera and or software. The iPhone camera has been a point of pride for Apple (like music) - though competitors now equal or surpass iPhone in some instances. It seems they're planning on doubling down with ip7. Will be interesting to see what the Linx (spelling) aquisitions brings to the table. Hoping we get something that's near a replacement of DSLRs. 
  • Reply 4 of 8
    maxxe2maxxe2 Posts: 11member
    I like these rumours - it entertains me while waiting for yet another iPhone. The conclusions made in the video made a lot of sense to me. Next to internal improvements, I am expecting a dual lens system and removal of the 3.5mm plug. Further, I am hoping for an increased screen size (at same footprint, meaning smaller bezels) and higher resolution (If you ever look at an iPhone screen through a VR headset, you will be shocked and feel like looking at an iPhone 2G again)
  • Reply 5 of 8
    maxxe2maxxe2 Posts: 11member
    @suddenly newton: Spending 50.000$ on a mould seems like a lot of money to us, but if it means even a 50% chance of beating your competition by 2 weeks it may be a rational decision to take the risk. The mistake was not to pay the mold but to publish these photos before the iPhone 5 was released. I remember the situation very well and yes it was very embarrassing for them
  • Reply 6 of 8
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    maxxe2 said:
    Further, I am hoping for an increased screen size (at same footprint, meaning smaller bezels) and higher resolution (If you ever look at an iPhone screen through a VR headset, you will be shocked and feel like looking at an iPhone 2G again)
    i doubt apple is going to change the phone's screen size three "tick" cycles in a row.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    mac_128 said:
    Except the 4/4s also had symmetrical cutouts on each side of the dock connector, one for the speaker and one for the microphone. So it doesn't necessarily prove twin speakers at all. Indeed the cutout clearly shows the current 3.5mm jack and current mic fitting easily inside the cutout. So not necessarily a guarantee the headphone jack is going away either.
    Did you watch the video? The guy tried to plug in Apple's standard headphone buds but the jack wouldn't connect. There wasn't enough clearance. The cutout is not for that jack.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    1983 said:
    mac_128 said:
    Did you watch the video? The guy tried to plug in Apple's standard headphone buds but the jack wouldn't connect. There wasn't enough clearance. The cutout is not for that jack.
    Haha, no I didn't. I didn't even realize it was a video. But, considering there is no official guidance from Apple, these are all guesses anyway based on rumors, not a clear indication that Apple will do any of this.
    edited March 2016