First look: New nylon and milanese bands bring color, style to Apple Watch

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited March 2016
Apple added a few fresh accessories to the Apple Watch lineup at Monday's special event, including a comfortable woven nylon strap design, new leather and Sport Band colors and the previously rumored Space Black Milanese loop.

Available in seven color combinations, Apple's new nylon bands sport a unique four-layer construction that appears aesthetically similar to the sturdy NATO-style straps popularized by modern diving watches. The two-tone woven patterns add depth to the thick material, while a classic clasp makes for easy wearing and adjustment.

According to CEO Tim Cook, about one third of all Apple Watch owners regularly swap out bands. To address this demographic, Apple introduced another set of seasonal colors for its fluoroelastomer Sport Band line -- apricot, royal blue and yellow -- alongside 7 new leather classic buckle colors including red and marine blue. The magnetic modern buckle style gets 3 more, including blue jay and marigold color options, while the popular leather loop is now available in storm gray and white.

Finally, a Space Black Milanese loop, initially leaked in January, is up for sale.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    I seriously want that Space Black Milanese Loop.  But I just don't think I can justify it.  I already have the regular Milanese Loop and a Sport Band.  I mean, just how much money am I going to spend on bands? :)
    patchythepiratesockrolidsteveh
  • Reply 2 of 15
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    aaronj said:
    I seriously want that Space Black Milanese Loop.  But I just don't think I can justify it.  I already have the regular Milanese Loop and a Sport Band.  I mean, just how much money am I going to spend on bands? :)
    Does your Milanese loop pinch the hair on your arm like other metal bands could?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    aaronj said:
    The only reason I buy bands for my Apple Watch (both Apple and third party) is that I feel pretty confident that I will use them in the future on newer versions of the watch. Unlike a phone case that may or may not fit the next version of the phone. 
  • Reply 4 of 15
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    aaronj said:
    I have stainless steel watch, do you think it's going to look good with the new nylon band? Personally I think the nylon band will look excellent with any sport watch, but not too sure if they will look as good if paired with stainless steel watch. I love the modern look though, and would like to purchase blue, green and grey ones.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    you can good knockoff space black Milanese loop on amazon for like $25-$30.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    M_Racz said:
    you can good knockoff space black Milanese loop on amazon for like $25-$30.
    A friend of mine has one of those, the black comes off the band super easy.  His watch hasn't lost any black.

If the Apple band is as durable as the watch then the price bump seems reasonable.  If not, well the $35 one looked nice for a few days!

• Reply 7 of 15
    aaronj said:
    Does your Milanese loop pinch the hair on your arm like other metal bands could?
    That's the reason why I took mine back last month after just 2 days...couldn't stand the pinching compared to my black sports band. Got a withings scale instead...
  • Reply 8 of 15
    aaronj said:
    Mine did for the first few weeks I had it.  Now it doesn't anymore.  I play basketball in it and everything, and it doesn't bug me a bit
    ration al
  • Reply 9 of 15
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    aaronj said:
    No, but then I don't have a lot of hair on my arms really.  I'm sure it's just an individual sort of thing, different for different people.
    ration alnolamacguy
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Diggin the new bands colors and options. Currently have the Milanese band and two sports (navy and light blue). I put in my order today for the Pearl woven nylon band.

On a side note, I think the Ape sport bands are worth the extra $. I have two 3rd party bands and they don't slide in & out as nicely, they are thinner, and they all seem to attract oil & lint. I never have they problem with my Apple Sport bands.
    ration al
  • Reply 11 of 15
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    I have the black link band and the black sport band to go with by SSSB  Watch.  After about 5 wearings, I stopped using the sport band.  It's just too much trouble to swap out the link band.  

The black link band is the best link band there is.  It's even ok for working out.

• Reply 12 of 15
    aaronj said:

Surprisingly, I probably just experienced this just once when removing it. Otherwise it is pretty comfortable and probably the best fitting band, since it is so adjustable.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    stevenozstevenoz Posts: 314member
    An early Apple Watch owner (May), I just had my Milanese band replaced because of slippage. For the past few months I was having to tighten it throughout the day. Luckily I had AppleCare on the Watch so they replaced it as a courtesy. The new one is better again, but I won't buy another magnetic clasp.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    The nylon bands look really nice and very sporty in my opinion. I'm hoping to find something similar for my Fenix 3 since I don't own an Apple Watch yet nor will I until gen 2 minimum.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    I order my handmade band from this shop on Etsy. It goes great with my Apple watch.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/BlackForestAtelier