Facebook plans to use Messenger for retail point-of-sale service, could integrate Apple Pay

Posted:
in iPhone
The popular Facebook Messenger app could soon become far more than a chat client, with the social networking service apparently planning to offer in-store purchases through its mobile app, after the company signaled it could partner with Apple Pay for retail checkouts.

Code found inside the Facebook Messenger app discovered by The Information reveals that the company is planning to allow users to pay for items through the app, bypassing credit card terminals at the store. Specifically, the app will allow customers to "pay in person" or "pay directly in Messenger when you pick up the item."

Facebook allegedly has a large team working on the project, which will eventually allow customers to buy items in retail stores, having the Facebook Messenger app authorize the credit card transaction.

It's unknown how the service will work, but Facebook Chief Executive Mark Zuckerberg said in January that it's possible that his company could forge partnerships with the likes of Apple to enable a payments service, such as through in-app purchases. Facebook is interested in creating a system that makes it easy for users to interact with businesses, which would enable the social networking giant to potentially charge more money for ad space.

"We'll partner with everyone who does payments," Zuckerberg said. "We look at the stuff that Apple is doing with Apple Pay, for example, as a really neat innovation in the space that takes a lot of friction out of transactions as well."

Of course, if Facebook ultimately can't or won't broker a deal with Apple Pay, then its new service could become a competitor by default. The mobile payments space has been heating up with Android Pay and Samsung Pay vying for position, while surveys show that Apple Pay remains the most popular option.

Apple apparently plans to expand Apple Pay later this year with support for website integration through its Safari browser. With the expansion, Apple Pay would allow e-commerce partners to accept Apple Pay through the Web, making it easy to securely share credit card information and authorize a transaction for goods or services.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Considering how slow Apple Pay has been to take off I'm skeptical about this. I love Apple Pay but have several family members with new iPhones who could use it but don't bother. If people can't be bothered with something as simple as Apple Pay are they really going to start paying for things through Facebook Messenger? I wish companies would stop trying to be the new AOL. I don't want to spend all of my time on my phone in Facebook or Messenger. In fact the less time I spend there the better.
    fotoformatjony0gatorguylatifbprcfa
  • Reply 2 of 4
    macseekermacseeker Posts: 544member
    Now, something new that Facebook will have from their users - their purchase history. More adverts for the users to be bombarded with. They'll also know the spending habits better for the users. Hopefully soon, Facebook will implode.
    jony0
  • Reply 4 of 4
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Considering how slow Apple Pay has been to take off I'm skeptical about this. I love Apple Pay but have several family members with new iPhones who could use it but don't bother. If people can't be bothered with something as simple as Apple Pay are they really going to start paying for things through Facebook Messenger? I wish companies would stop trying to be the new AOL. I don't want to spend all of my time on my phone in Facebook or Messenger. In fact the less time I spend there the better.
    Funny thing is, ApplePay works flawlessly in more than 50% of retail outlets and Restaurants accepting credit cards when I'm in Europe, most CC terminals have NFC support, and ApplePay "just works" even though it's not yet introduced in Europe and most vendors freak out a bit when they see the receipt come out without them seeing me sticking in a card, so usually I end up explaining to them what's coming to them in the next few years. 
    Meanwhile in the US, NFC terminals can hardly be found.

Not sure why Apple isn't introducing ApplePay where the infrastructure to use it is actually present...
    badmonk