Rumor: Apple targeting 4-5M iPhone SE shipments in second quarter

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple is hoping to ship between 4 to 5 million iPhone SE units during the second quarter of 2016, which won't be enough to compensate for a decline in iPhone 6s and 6s Plus sales, supply chain sources indicated on Thursday.

The company's chip orders for the quarter have been relatively slow compared to the same quarter in past years, the sources said to Digitimes. These orders are expected to be just slightly higher than the first quarter, in spite of Apple launching the SE and a 9.7-inch iPad Pro.

The sources claimed in fact that chip shipments for the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus will probably be halved versus the first quarter, allegedly because of the disappointing sales figures.

Digitimes has a mixed track record when covering Apple products. The SE isn't intended to be a flagship iPhone however, and Apple itself has guided to its first year-over-year decline in iPhone sales for the March quarter. These could make the site's sources more plausible.

The iPhone SE officially shipped on Thursday after a brief round of preorders. Apple is unlikely to provide any device-specific sales figures, except perhaps after launch weekend, if sales are strong enough to be worth publicizing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Of course it's a rumor, there's no such thing as targeting 4-5 million when they've no idea how sales with go over a 3 month period.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Can we please go back to iPhone 7 rumors? At least those are interesting. 
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Sam123Sam123 Posts: 10member
    ireland said:
    Of course it's a rumor, there's no such thing as targeting 4-5 million when they've no idea how sales with go over a 3 month period.
    Apple's second quarter started on December  27th 2015. So it's second quarter ended around March 27th.
    How many SE's were available to purchase by that date?
    I would guess very few and nowhere near 4-5 million. 
  • Reply 4 of 19
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Second fiscal quarter of 2016 or second calendar quarter of 2016?  It's just sloppy to write such an ambiguous article.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    ireland said:
    The article is sloppy, but you can bet that Apple has sales projections for the first three months.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    Sell fewer iPhones, but each with a proportionally higher profit margin. Brilliant.

Cue sog bitching about how this will kill the stock.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    sog35 said:
    More utter bullshet from Digitimes.

Anytime Apple has a few days of good performance on the stock market you can bet a bad report from 'supply chain' sources will appear.

Frankly I don't give a shit anymore.

Taiwan has a long history of bias against Apple because it is a major producer of PC components.  Despite its high-yech status in the world, Taiwan still has no Apple store because Apple products is not well accepted in Taiwan.  So who knows these two writers may be biased against Apple? 
  • Reply 8 of 19
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    DigiTimes also reported two months ago that the new iPad we just got would have a 4K display and 4GB RAM.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20160127PD204.html

Same sources—the mythical Taiwan supply chain. 
  • Reply 9 of 19
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Everything I was hoping for, and more.

• Reply 10 of 19
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    Everything I was hoping for, and more.

Nice! What's the more?
  • Reply 11 of 19
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Digitimes has a mixed track record when covering Apple products. 
    Indeed they do, and that's precisely why I couldn't give two craps about anything that digitimes has to say. 
  • Reply 12 of 19
    jannl said:

Nice! What's the more?
    The weight is so much lighter than the 4S, but it feels better in my hand than a 6/6s.  It feels just as speedy as my wife's 6S.

The bespoke leather case (barely visible in the pic) is perfect.

Couple other things: yes, the TouchID is a tad slower than my iPad Pro, but it's not a deal-breaker.  Also interesting that although they upgraded the camera proper, the flash is still the dual-LED variety.

JanNL
  • Reply 13 of 19
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Couple other things: yes, the TouchID is a tad slower than my iPad Pro, but it's not a deal-breaker. 

That's odd, because I thought that there were only two types of Touch ID available so far, the old one and the new one.

The iPad Pro has the old one, so I would have guessed that it should be the same as on the iPhone SE.

• Reply 14 of 19
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    If sales are down, the stock will decline. If sales are up, the stock will decline. 

I've been watching this for a while, and for every bit of good news, there is a negative hysterical reaction from the press:

Sales are good? They might be bad tomorrow!
    Sales are a tiny bit bad? It's the Apple-ocalypse of collapsing sales!
    Sales are the same? OMG no growth SELL SELL SELL the stock!!
    Successful new product launched? But that success isn't BIG enough!
    Apple releases a hugely successful big screen iPhone? OMG that means NEXT year Apple's sales will PLUMMET!
    Apple takes the lead in a new product category (like the watch)? That new market is TOO SMALL!
    Apple kicks Samsung's butt? The real threat comes from Chinese phone makers!
    Apple holds its own against Chinese phone makers? Yeah but what will happen in 2023?
    Apple makes majority of smart phone profits? Apple relies on the iPhone, which will become extinct!

Etc.  You can't win. APPL is tainted in the eyes of the market. The bloggers prefer companies like Netflix (which barely makes a profit), Amazon (which is CELEBRATED for making a 2nd quarter profit of $92 Million lol), Twitter (doesn't make money), Uber (doesn't make money), Spotify (same) etc.

Granted, that's not a fair comparison, and I'm overstating the facts -- but the core of my comment is right: Apple is not getting the respect, the press coverage, or the stock valuation, that the company deserves.

fastasleep
  • Reply 15 of 19
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    jannl said:

Nice! What's the more?
    The weight is so much lighter than the 4S, but it feels better in my hand than a 6/6s.  It feels just as speedy as my wife's 6S.

The bespoke leather case (barely visible in the pic) is perfect.

Couple other things: yes, the TouchID is a tad slower than my iPad Pro, but it's not a deal-breaker.  Also interesting that although they upgraded the camera proper, the flash is still the dual-LED variety.

OK, this is real "hands-on", thanks.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Aren't the pre-orders in China 4M; this "news" doesn't really make sense.
    So, according to this the SE would ship less phones than the 5S it replaced despite being cheaper... That's pretty idiotic even from a logical standpoint.

cornchip
  • Reply 17 of 19
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    Oh great, more useless supply chain "info"
  • Reply 18 of 19
    apple ][ said:
    That's odd, because I thought that there were only two types of Touch ID available so far, the old one and the new one.

The iPad Pro has the old one, so I would have guessed that it should be the same as on the iPhone SE.

I agree, odd.  I just assumed that my iPP had the newer tech.  I can definitely tell a difference, though.