Apple's new 4" iPhone SE continues to see stock-outs, shipping delays

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2016
Though it didn't have the hype of a new next-generation iPhone launch, the revamped 4-inch iPhone SE continues to see demand outstrip Apple's available supply, with most stores completely out of stock and new orders advertised not to ship for a few weeks.

As of Wednesday, the fastest a new iPhone SE will arrive from Apple in the U.S. is next Tuesday, April 12, and that's just select models. Many models are unavailable until April 20, and that's with paying extra for expedited shipping.

Virtually all models with all carriers out of stock at Apple's retail stores as well. AppleInsider conducted a check of a number of major markets in the U.S. and found in-store pickup was unavailable for virtually every model, though there was some sporadic availability of certain carrier, capacity and color combinations.

In general, the $399 16-gigabyte iPhone SE models seem to have greater availability than the $499 64-gigabyte versions. For example, a rose gold 16-gigabyte model is advertised to arrive April 12, but switching to the 64-gigabyte model delays arrival to April 20-27 depending on shipping method with Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile and SIM-free.

Sprint models seem to have the best availability, with a 64-gigabyte rose gold iPhone SE on that carrier arriving with free shipping on April 12.

Demand is also exceeding supply internationally. For example, in Hong Kong, the earliest a new delivery is advertised to arrive is April 16. Pundits have speculated that emerging markets like China, India and Brazil are key target markets for the budget-priced iPhone SE.

It's a much different story for the new 9.7-inch iPad Pro, where new Wi-Fi models are available to arrive with expedited shipping as quickly as Thursday, depending on the model. Same-day in-store pickup for the new tablet is also widely available.

Both the iPhone SE and the new iPad Pro launched last Thursday. The iPhone, in particular, has generated much hype and long lines with past launches, but those were new flagship models.

This year's iPhone SE launch was instead a low-key affair, with Apple placing high-end components, like an A9 processor, 12-megapixel camera and Apple Pay --?into the chassis of the iPhone 5s. As a result, the iPhone SE launch did not draw campers, crowds or long lines at Apple retail stores.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    Isn't this the phone that 'failed' at launch?
    magman1979nolamacguymr ostevehericthehalfbeecalibaconstang
  • Reply 2 of 39
    Apple is STILL doomed. 
    baconstang
  • Reply 3 of 39
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    No lines! No lines! Epic Fail!
  • Reply 4 of 39
    robjnrobjn Posts: 280member
    lukei said:
    Isn't this the phone that 'failed' at launch?
    Finally one website notices this!

There is usually a lot of attention given to availability and shipping times following an iPhone release. This time the Apple focused sites took their eye off the ball.

I think Apple may have underestimated just how many of these they will sell.
    calithinkman@chartermi.net
  • Reply 5 of 39
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    As there is no demand and given sales of this iPhone are poor, it just means Apple's production line has broken down ... /s
    magman1979
  • Reply 6 of 39
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    sog35 said:
    but, but, but, but weak demand...

but, but, but, but, peak iPhone.

Its an absolute joke that the media is touting Amazon Echo as the next big thing.

"Amazon.com (AMZN) seems to have a hit product on its hands with the Amazon Echo smart speaker. "

http://www.investors.com/news/technology/click/amazon-com-likely-has-sold-3-million-echo-speakers-to-date/?ven=YahooCP&src=AURLLED&ven=yahoo

What a friken joke.
    The Echo took almost a YEAR AND A HALF to sell 3 million units.  Yet its called a hit and a success.

I'm pretty sure the SE sold 3 million units in a couple of hours. The media is calling it a failure.
    The Apple Watch is going to sell 12 million units in a year. The media is calling it a failure.

Amazon must be paying these media outlets big time $$$ for propaganda.
    I don’t think Amazon is paying the media. I do think the ‘media’ is desperate to report on something, anything other than an Apple product. Apple has dominated the news and product cycles for so long. No other device maker, including Samsung, can generate the interest and hype that an Apple product does. Samsung, and now even Microsoft, are targeting Apple in their ads. The “I can’t do that on my Mac” ads are hilarious, so obvious. What does that tell us about Apple’s grip on the public mindset? 

Once the media does find an allegedly successful product like the Amazon Echo or Microsoft Surface Pro they immediately switch gears and we start seeing articles about how Apple is behind the curve, what Apple must do to survive against the onslaught of this new miracle of innovation, etc. They can’t keep Apple out of their narrative no matter how hard they try. There’s never been a company the likes of Apple.
    edited April 2016 magman1979radarthekatnolamacguycornchipbb-15calijony0baconstanggeekmeethinkman@chartermi.net
  • Reply 7 of 39
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    There seems to still be lots of people who liked the slab iPhone design, and that smaller size. I think the iPhone 4 had the best design. I know my wife will love if she could replace her iPhone 6 with an SE. I myself will wait to see where Apple goes with iPhone 8, until then it's 6s Plus for me.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    davemcm76davemcm76 Posts: 268member
    My fiancee is still waiting for hers that was ordered as an upgrade through EE on release day last Friday... I looked on the Apple UK web site to see if it might be quicker cancelling and going direct and the one she wanted (64Gb rose gold) is showing as Dispatched in 7-10 days...
  • Reply 9 of 39
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    WTF AI - just a couple days ago you were reporting the opposite. How about actually doing some proper investigation and reporting on your own instead of regurgitating the crap that comes out of every other source?
    cali
  • Reply 10 of 39
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    They said the 5C was a flop. It was a hit.

They said the SE was a flop. It's a hit. 

To add to Sog35's post above:
    A) success sparks jealousy 
    B) Americans like to build up our heroes then tear them down 
    C) Wall Street only likes companies that are growing exponentially. also a lotta manipulation is going on
    D) media is more biased than open. Partly because of who owns it. Partly because negativity about Apple gets the clicks. 

nolamacguystevehcali
  • Reply 11 of 39
    ChivsChivs Posts: 2member
    Well, the lack of availability could be for any number of reasons:
    1. Demand was much greater than expected.
    2. There was only very limited availability at launch
    3. Apple has an unspecified supply chain glitch

Regardless, it's unusual for a country wide lack of availability a few days after launch. Even the flagship (September) phones get daily supplies on a first come basis.
    Also interesting to note is the silence from Apple on sales figures, you'd expect if 1. above was true they'd be vocal about it.

Just my 2c.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    So let me get this straight.

I thought that this phone wasn't selling well, according to some retarded analyst, yet now we are reading about stock-outs, and shipping delays?

I mean, you can't make this shit up!

I think that the SE is going to sell great! I've even been reading about quite a few people who have swapped their iPhone 6's for the SE!

The plastic iPhone 5C sold many tens of millions. Any analyst claiming that the iPhone 5SE is not going to do well is a clueless liar, and they should immediately find a new line of work, because they clearly suck at their job.

The iPhone SE is going to do really well.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Chivs said:

Also interesting to note is the silence from Apple on sales figures, you'd expect if 1. above was true they'd be vocal about it.
    No it's not. This is not a brand new, flagship release.

As a matter of fact, Apple shares too much info sometimes I think. Nobody else comes out and shares figures like Apple does, after some of their launches.

Let the competition and the clueless keep guessing! 
  • Reply 14 of 39
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    sog35 said:
    I don't understand the constant hate, propaganda, twisting of the truth, and flatout lies the American media spews about Everything on a daily basis.

FTFY.

Say it with me. A---gen---da.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 15 of 39
    ChivsChivs Posts: 2member
    apple ][ said:
    No it's not. This is not a brand new, flagship release.

Maybe, but still somewhat unusual that stores are not being refreshed at all since last Friday. When's the last time a product launched, sold out, and stores didn't get any re-supplies?
  • Reply 16 of 39
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Apple is deliberately creating supply issues. It's bad business to sell as many iPhones as it can. /s

another solid hit by Apple. 
    pmzbanchocalijony0baconstang
  • Reply 17 of 39
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    jungmark said:
    Apple is deliberately creating supply issues. It's bad business to sell as many iPhones as it can. /s

another solid hit by Apple. 
    Breaking News: Apple has a clue as to what sells.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Human habits like in my home dictates that those 4 out of 5 people still using(not letting it go) 4S/5/5S eager to upgrade in few weeks/months but not the day Apple released it. So, this will be excellent replacement for those still holding on to older 3.5"/4" iphone and it will be be slow but strong upward. No past iPhone sales theory will work in iphone SE case..
    edited April 2016 calijony0baconstang
  • Reply 19 of 39
    josujosu Posts: 217member
    sog35 said:
    I don't understand the constant hate, propaganda, twisting of the truth, and flatout lies the American media spews about Apple on a daily basis.

Is it like this in other countries? 

Yes sog35, is the same in other countries...with Apple of course. Our press in Spain hates Apple as much as the American media...Oh, you speak about OUR big companies...well, that's different, everybody in the media loves Inditex (Zara fashion chain).
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 20 of 39
    thoftsthofts Posts: 6member
    My wife had a 5s and wouldn't move up to a larger iPhone.  The SE was for her.  Since there was supposed to be "no demand" I waited 4 hours to get to the nearest Apple Store only to find NO Rose Gold 64GB ATT or unlocked phones.  Next day nothing at either of the two stores.  Next day at 11am I found and unlocked one 56 miles away so I snagged it online and off we went for dinner and a iPhone pickup.  For a "flop" phone there certainly is no stock.