Apple's 9.7" iPad Pro vs. 12.9" iPad Pro: Which choice is right for you?

Posted:
in iPad edited April 2016
Apple's professional-grade tablets now come in two distinct sizes: A 9.7-inch iPad Pro and a jumbo-sized 12.9-inch model. And while they both share a number of key features, including Apple Pencil support and the Smart Connector, both iPads are clearly geared toward different types of users. AppleInsider offers a handy guide to help you decide which model is right for you.

Size matters

The gap between 9.7 and 12.9 inches may not sound like a lot, but in the case of the diagonal screen size on an iPad, it makes a world of difference. The 12.9-inch iPad Pro's display is so large that its width is equal to the full height of the 9.7-inch model.

In other words, the 12.9-inch iPad Pro display is equivalent to two 9.7-inch screens placed side by side.

And so the first and most obvious question you need to ask yourself is: How much screen real estate do you need?

If you're going to be using the Apple Pencil a lot, particularly for drawing, we feel the 12.9-inch model is a better fit.

Similarly, if you plan on using a keyboard a great deal -- especially Apple's Smart Keyboard -- then the larger 12.9-inch form factor is going to offer you more space to type.

If you're more of a note taker or an occasional doodler, the lower price and more portable form factor of the 9.7-inch model is a better fit. And if you don't plan to use a keyboard at all, or only want to attach the Smart Keyboard occasionally, we feel you'll be able to get by just fine with the 9.7-inch variant.

In terms of the apps themselves, we're sad to say that most major apps have not yet been updated for the larger 12.9-inch display. While there are a great number of apps optimized for the established 9.7-inch form factor, Apple's larger iPad Pro remains somewhat of a niche product, so we wouldn't recommend getting high hopes for third-party app support designed for the 12.9-inch screen.

Weight watchers

Of course, with a larger screen size comes added weight. While the 9.7-inch iPad Pro matches the iPad Air 2 and comes in under a pound, the 12.9-inch version is much heftier at about 1.57 pounds.

This weight disparity makes a huge difference in how you use the iPad. At 0.96-pound, the 9.7-inch model is ultraportable, and can be easily held with one hand while standing or walking, allowing you to use your finger (or an Apple Pencil) while on your feet.

The more compact 9.7-inch display also allows for a split keyboard software option that users can invoke by taking their thumbs and sliding them apart on the software keyboard. This places keys to the left and right side of the screen, allowing for two-thumb typing while holding the 9.7-inch iPad Pro in portrait mode.

The 12.9-inch display on the larger iPad Pro is simply too large for split typing, however, so Apple doesn't even offer it. And forget trying to use it for extended periods of time while standing or walking --?it's simply too heavy to hold with one hand.

Instead, the 12.9-inch iPad Pro's weight makes it better suited for using on your lap or flat on a desk. In these settings, the larger iPad Pro excels, offering more screen real estate for viewing or manipulating content, and also much more space to use the onscreen virtual keyboard.

Running the (color) gamut

For many, especially photographers and artists, the main selling point of the 9.7-inch model over the larger version is its new True Tone display.

Apple's True Tone technology uses sensors to measure brightness and ambient light temperature. The screen is automatically adjusted according to those settings, presenting users with a more accurate representation of natural colors on the screen.

Apple didn't stop there, and also reduced screen reflectivity, making the 9.7-inch iPad Pro better in outdoor settings than its 12.9-inch counterpart.

This is not to say that the 12.9-inch Retina display is not gorgeous --?it is. And many users looking to browse the web or play games probably won't care at all about accuracy of color reproduction.

But if you do care -- or if you plan to use your iPad outside a great deal -- then we have to recommend the 9.7-inch model.

Speed limits

If you have the need for speed, go with the 12.9-inch iPad Pro. Though both models run the same A9X chip, it's clocked faster for both basic CPU horsepower as well as graphics processing on the larger model. The 12.9-inch model also has double the RAM, at 4 gigabytes.

The 12.9-inch variant also has the distinction of being the only iOS device from Apple to feature a high-speed USB 3 Lightning port. The 9.7-inch model features the same standard USB 2-speed Lightning port as all other devices.

There are a few advantages to having a USB 3-speed Lightning port on the 12.9-inch iPad Pro. The faster port can take advantage of new USB 3 accessories from Apple, including a speedy Lightning to SD card reader, as well as a USB 3 Camera Adapter.

Apple also offers a new USB 3 Lightning to USB-C cable, which makes it possible to connect any iPad or iPhone directly to the 12-inch MacBook. But exclusively on the 12.9-inch iPad Pro, users will gain access to higher transfer speeds when syncing with USB 3 computers, as well as faster charging with Apple's 29-watt USB-C wall adapter.

Our recommendation if you have the 12.9-inch iPad Pro: Buy a USB 3 Lightning to USB-C cable, and Apple's 29-watt 12-inch MacBook power supply, and drastically increase your recharge speeds from the insufficient 12-watt power adapter that ships in the box.

Remaining hardware features

Both iPad Pro models support the Apple Pencil and work as you'd expect. And they both have Smart Keyboards, though the 12.9-inch version obviously offers more size.

Both models also feature a four-speaker array that pumps out impressive sound for such a thin tablet. On these issues, it's a tie.

In terms of camera specs, the 9.7-inch easily trumps the 12.9-inch model with much more capable cameras. While we question the inclusion of some features, including a selfie flash, we cannot deny that for those who plan to shoot photos or videos with an iPad, the 9.7-inch model is the superior option (if you can stomach the accompanying camera bump).

The rear camera on the 9.7-inch model records 4K video and captures 12-megapixel photos with a rear flash. In contrast, the 12.9-inch model records at 1080p and shoots 8-megapixels without flash. The forward-facing FaceTime HD camera on the 9.7-inch model also offers superior 5-megapixel photos, compared to 1.2 megapixels on the 12.9-inch.

Pricing

Here's arguably the biggest ding against the 9.7-inch iPad Pro: It starts at $599 for the 32-gigabyte model, making it the most expensive entry price for a new 9.7-inch iPad Pro to date.

The 12.9-inch iPad Pro, meanwhile, carries a starting price of $799 for 32 gigabytes. But if you're planning to use it as a desktop replacement, you're probably better off opting for the $949 128-gigabyte model (a 256-gigabyte version also sells for $1,099).

And so in terms of pricing, the 9.7-inch iPad Pro finds itself caught somewhere in the middle. As we noted above, if you're mostly interested in Apple Pencil and Smart Keyboard support, and you don't mind losing some portability, the 12.9-inch iPad Pro is the better option.

Conversely, if you don't care about the Apple Pencil or Smart Connector at all, Apple still offers the iPad Air 2 at $399. Without support for the optional accessories (which cost extra), the sacrifices you'd make for that $200 price cut are the four-speaker array, the True Tone display, the faster A9X chip, and the improved cameras.

The A8X chip in the iPad Air 2 has the same 2 gigabytes of RAM, and remains a strong performer with an identical thin-and-light design. And you still have Touch ID for secure access and in-app Apple Pay support.

But if you plan to use the Apple Pencil and/or Smart Connector on occasion, and prefer the portability of the 9.7-inch Pro (especially the ability to hold it up with one hand while standing), the extra $200 over the iPad Air 2 is an easy recommendation.

Conclusion

Apple's most compelling iPad lineup ever makes for a difficult decision for consumers. Still, we feel like each model available presents unique use cases and should appeal to different segments of the tablet market.

In particular, keeping the iPad Air 2 around at $399 offers a great entry point for those who aren't looking for "pro" features.

And with the two iPad Pro options, there's a lot to decide between portability, performance, and just plain personal preference.

Because iOS isn't yet a suitable replacement for a traditional computer for many users, we think most will ultimately opt for the 9.7-inch iPad Pro. It's small enough to be conveniently portable, and yet its screen is still large enough to get most tasks done. Support for the Smart Connector and Apple Pencil only enhance its versatility.

If you have specific use cases for the larger 12.9-inch screen, or iOS is now capable enough to replace a Mac or PC for daily tasks, go with the bigger screen and definitely buy a keyboard. Multitasking is better, there's more horsepower to be utilized, and you'll find it better suited for extended use while sitting.

Where to buy

Before you buy a new iPad Pro, see AppleInsider's comprehensive trade-in guide to find out where you can get the most money for your previous generation model.

The 9.7-inch iPad Pro is available to purchase through Apple and its authorized reseller channel, which includes all of the leading resellers listed in our iPad Price Guide. Among them is AppleInsider partner B&H, which carries the full lineup, as well as the official Smart Keyboard and Apple Pencil. Unlike Apple and virtually every other reseller, however, B&H will not collect sales tax on your new iPad Pro order if you live outside NY. It also has 90% of the lineup in stock as of press time. As such, most customers will save between $45 and $80 on their new iPad Pro order.

9.7" iPad Pro

32GB 9.7" iPad Pro Silver WiFi Only for $599.00
32GB 9.7" iPad Pro Space Gray WiFi Only for $599.00
32GB 9.7" iPad Pro Gold WiFi Only for $599.00
32GB 9.7" iPad Pro Rose Gold WiFi Only for $599.00
32GB 9.7" iPad Pro Silver WiFi + Cellular for $729.00
32GB 9.7" iPad Pro Space Gray WiFi + Cellular for $729.00
32GB 9.7" iPad Pro Gold WiFi + Cellular for $729.00
32GB 9.7" iPad Pro Rose Gold WiFi + Cellular for $729.00
128GB 9.7" iPad Pro Silver WiFi Only for $749.00
128GB 9.7" iPad Pro Space Gray WiFi Only for $749.00
128GB 9.7" iPad Pro Gold WiFi Only for $749.00
128GB 9.7" iPad Pro Rose Gold WiFi Only for $749.00
128GB 9.7" iPad Pro Silver WiFi + Cellular for $879.00
128GB 9.7" iPad Pro Space Gray WiFi + Cellular for $879.00
128GB 9.7" iPad Pro Gold WiFi + Cellular for $879.00
128GB 9.7" iPad Pro Rose Gold WiFi + Cellular for $879.00
256GB 9.7" iPad Pro Silver WiFi Only for $899.00
256GB 9.7" iPad Pro Space Gray WiFi Only for $899.00
256GB 9.7" iPad Pro Gold WiFi Only for $899.00
256GB 9.7" iPad Pro Rose Gold WiFi Only for $899.00
256GB 9.7" iPad Pro Silver WiFi + Cellular for $1,029.00
256GB 9.7" iPad Pro Space Gray WiFi + Cellular for $1,029.00
256GB 9.7" iPad Pro Gold WiFi + Cellular for $1,029.00
256GB 9.7" iPad Pro Rose Gold WiFi + Cellular for $1,029.00

If you're a customer on the fence between a 9.7" iPad Pro and a 12.9" iPad Pro, B&H this week is also offering between $20-$100 off all 32GB and 128GB 12.9" iPad Pros with no sales tax outside NY, which are also the lowest prices anywhere by a wide margin, according to our iPad Price Guide.

12.9" iPad Pro
32GB 12.9" iPad Pro (Wi-Fi Only, Silver) for $749.00 ($50 discount)
32GB 12.9" iPad Pro (Wi-Fi Only, Space Gray) for $779.00 ($20 discount)
32GB 12.9" iPad Pro (Wi-Fi Only, Gold) for $749.00 ($50 discount)
128GB 12.9" iPad Pro (Wi-Fi Only, Silver) for $849.00 ($100 discount)
128GB 12.9" iPad Pro (Wi-Fi Only, Space Gray) for $879.00 ($80 discount)
128GB 12.9" iPad Pro (Wi-Fi Only, Gold) for $849.00 ($100 discount)
128GB 12.9" iPad Pro (Wi-Fi + 4G LTE, Silver) for $999.00 ($80 discount)
128GB 12.9" iPad Pro (Wi-Fi + 4G LTE, Space Gray) for $999.00 ($80 discount)
128GB 12.9" iPad Pro (Wi-Fi + 4G LTE, Gold) for $909.00 ($89 discount)
256GB 12.9" iPad Pro (Wi-Fi Only, Silver) for $1,099.00 (pre order)
256GB 12.9" iPad Pro (Wi-Fi Only, Space Gray) for $1,099.00 (in stock)
256GB 12.9" iPad Pro (Wi-Fi Only, Gold) for $1,099.00 (in stock)
256GB 12.9" iPad Pro (Wi-Fi + 4G LTE, Silver) for $1,229.00 (in stock)
256GB 12.9" iPad Pro (Wi-Fi + 4G LTE, Space Gray) for $1,229.00 (in stock)
256GB 12.9" iPad Pro (Wi-Fi + 4G LTE, Gold) for $1,229.00 (in stock)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I'm just glad they made a smaller iPad Pro instead of adding Pro features to iPads. That would have been weird.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    Neither, I don't really like iPads and much prefer my iPhone 6+. iPads are too big, even the Mini. For real work I use my Mac Pro.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 3 of 26
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    I bought the (128GB with LTE) 12.9"model on day one and I am more than happy with it. Would have bought the 256 GB model if it were available then... Well next time. I got myself a small iPad Mini 4 just for iBooks, some gaming and listening to music on the go. Perfect combination for me. I do understand the appeal of the 9.7" model (have been using them for years), but now they are just the wrong size for me (too big for reading in the train, too small for work). But this is a very personal choice. Not quite sure why Apple can't ship it's flagship device with an appropriate charger though...? The only thing I would really want from the 9.7" model is the reduced reflections. They are not bad on the 12.9", but they are there in some conditions – and a larger device does catch more light. The larger gamut is not really a must for photography (unless you receive pictures using more than sRGB all the time) – the 12.9 handles sRGB just fine, and the larger gamut in the 9.7" model does not correspond to any standard color space used in photography. And there is (for now) no mean to calibrate an iPad, so this is really not that relevant. You can't use an iPad for pre-press work, no matter which model. TrueTone is great for watching stuff, it is not really helping with predictable editing. Something Apple needs to address is software discoverability for the 12.9" model. There is currently no mean at all to see if an app does have a native (unscaled) GUI for it. And now even the hint "compatible with iPad Pro" does not answer that question any longer.
    sdpate
  • Reply 4 of 26
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    I love these analysis pieces to help us make our mind up. The final decision is likely not to be a rational one regardless. Most people by far make decisions based on intuition. To rationalize a decision is very different than making a rational decision. My guess is that 99% of the people that fancy a 12.9" iPad will not be swayed by a better screen on the 9.7". They may read every little bit of info and concoct a convincing rational but how often does anybody change their mind given that they know a little about what they are buying? So, by all means, weigh up the pro's and con's, make lists and comparison charts, and then go and buy the thing you wanted all along. 
  • Reply 5 of 26
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Neither is better for me. I have an Air and was hoping to leapfrog the Air 2 and upgrade. Don't need a laptop-replacement tablet, just a lighter, faster iPad. 
    sdpate
  • Reply 6 of 26
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    I know what's better for me: the bigger screen and 4GB RAM.
    sdpate
  • Reply 7 of 26
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Neither is better for me. I have an Air and was hoping to leapfrog the Air 2 and upgrade. Don't need a laptop-replacement tablet, just a lighter, faster iPad. 
    iPad Pro doesn't require Smart Keyboard. I don't use one. So is your issue the $100 extra? You just wanted a faster Air 2 at $499?
  • Reply 8 of 26
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Love my new 9.7" Pro. It is the right size for me and while I don't use the pencil yet, I'm looking for a reason to need one. Since I'm coming from an iPad2, the improvements are dramatic. Games that were really unplayable are new again. I can browse the web on my iPad again. Basically stopped doing that after the iOS8 update.I've made some use of the split screen. Pretty cool having the game on in the corner, while I'm doing e-mail in the airport. Camera bump is a non-issue as I use a case.

Couple of little nits to pick.
    1. The color seems a little too vibrant. If it was a TV, I'd dial it back a hair.
    2. The auto brightness adjustment seems more sensitive compared to my iPhone and older iPad 2. It will just suddenly dim for no apparent reason.
    edited April 2016 sdpate
  • Reply 9 of 26
    T.j.p.T.j.p. Posts: 25member
    One feature not mentioned... If you use a macbook while out and about, and normally use multiple monitors on the desk, the iPad Pro 12.9 along with the "Duet" app enables a pretty seamless dual display while traveling. If you do extensive editing between multiple documents, do any film related work, or do software development the change to having an easy dual display while traveling is amazing. The productivity is much better than switching from multiple monitors to a single laptop display. 
    sdpate
  • Reply 10 of 26
    ai46ai46 Posts: 56member
    Not mentioned is that the 9.7 iPad Pro has a Sapphire lens and the 12.9 iPad Pro doesn't.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    ai46 said:
    Not mentioned is that the 9.7 iPad Pro has a Sapphire lens and the 12.9 iPad Pro doesn't.
    Good point, though I'd argue it's more necessary because the lens protrudes.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    After waiting for iPad Air 2 to be refreshed with what turned out to be iPad Pro, I made plunge to replace iPad 3rd generation (which I'd hoped to keep longer but it just got too logy) with a like-new used iPad Air 2 64gb. Previous iPad was 32 gb, so I didn't want to stand pat on storage. Price difference just too high to go for the Pro gusto.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    sdpatesdpate Posts: 2member
    I prefer the 12.9 since it gives me a full page screen for sheet music. I keep it on a stand other wise it's big to hold.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    firelockfirelock Posts: 238member
    Bought a 9.7 iPad Pro with 128 GB, wifi only, upgrading from an iPad Air 1. I can tether the iPad to my iPhone with my ATT plan so I don't need the cellular version. Also got the Smart Keyboard and Pencil. I needed the Smart Keyboard more than the Pencil, but I do enough sketching to make the investment in both worthwhile. Anyway probably the most happy I've been with an iPad since the original changed the way I compute. I've bought enough iPad keyboards in search of just the right one that if I had saved the money instead I could have bought a new iPad. While the new smart keyboard is not perfect, it has most of the features that I want which is excellent keys, thin, light, no syncing and no charging. I do wish the keys were slightly larger and I very much miss having a keyboard home button and function keys that control volume, brightness, etc. The Pencil is just mind-blowing in its accuracy and smoothness. For the first time I feel like I might be able to take handwritten notes on my iPad.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    I'd say "none of the above" until the iPad "Pro" runs OS X. 
  • Reply 16 of 26
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,363member
    I just got the 12.9" biggy size Pro with the appropriate 256 GB storage and I could not be happier. The selling point for me was the fact that using the biggy in portrait mode is the best synthesis of reading a physical magazine or journal that I have every encountered in a tablet device. In landscape mode it's just like my MBP13 without the weight and keyboard. I see the biggy being a perfect device for business, academic, and entertainment use cases that are very UI intensive and require easy viewing without pressing your nose against the display surface. I know plenty of people are enamored with their big boned phones (myself included) but I actually see tablet form factor devices moving to increasingly larger sizes as they start to capture more of the entertainment, presentation, and traditional PC roles. There's no reason why an iPad type device cannot capture some of the market served by the current 21" iMac. Why should you not be able to enjoy the benefits of the wonderful iMac display on a device that weighs less than 2 pounds and can be carried from room to room and outside and be untethered from power cords and wiring clap trap? Everything behind the screen is overhead and a compromise to accommodate the limitations of current technology. 
  • Reply 17 of 26
    I'm waiting for the next iPad Mini, and hopefully it will be Apple Pencil compatible. I tried the 9.7" iPad Pro and it was too big, but the pencil worked well.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    jibberjjibberj Posts: 35member
    I bought the 12.9 Pro with 128 as the 256 wasn't out then. What really threw me off was the cost compared to my earlier iPads. After buying this one, along with the apple case, Apple cover (the keyboard was sold out at the time) then the pencil and finally the keyboard, I was well over $2,000 Cdn. That's a long way from my last iPad for $799. 
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Speakers are not a TIE on the 9.7 vs 12.9. Not even sure if you did a side by side comparison in the sound quality. First off, the 12.9 is much louder, much fuller sound. Secondly if you listen to soundtracks and gaming on the 12.9 you can hear subtle nuances and a fuller sound stage on the 12.9. The 9.7 sound tinnier and sometimes at louder volume rattle slightly. Apple has definitely used different speakers in both units...the housing on the 9.7 is much smaller, why would apple use the exact same speakers. I had both and did a very thorough comparison on both and if sound is your thing...which made me get the 12.9 dont hesitate to go with this model, you wont be disappointed. The only similarity in is they both have a four speaker setup. Other than that there is a big difference in my opinion...and if you read all the blogs they also point out that the bass in the 12.9 is much deeper and better than its smaller sibling.
    timbit
  • Reply 20 of 26
    MustbeeMustbee Posts: 1member
    I hesitated to buy the 12.9 iPad Pro, even though it had the pencil of my dreams. IMO the iPad Pro desperately needs a 3D ForceTouch screen fuctionality for desktop class creative DCC aplications. Either that, or a pencil with buttons, like the wacom pencils.

Of course a usb-c cable+adapter and more Ram would be nice too, for the next model. The 12.9 iPad Pro would be a nice monitor for the macmini. Hopefully Apple will have at least a Duet/Astropad like inbuilt app for that.

For now I'll wait and keep my fingers crossed.

edited April 2016