Apple grows to 7.4% of worldwide PC market as Windows continues to cede share to the Mac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited April 2016
Apple continued to grow overall Mac marketshare during the March quarter as most leading Windows PC makers suffered significant setbacks, according to the latest research data from Gartner and IDC.

Apple's total share of the global PC market grew to 7.4 percent in the first quarter of calendar 2016, good for fourth place globally, according to IDC. That's up from 6.7 percent in the same period a year ago.

Apple's total sales actually fell 2.1 percent to just under 4.5 million. But the larger PC market dropped 11.5 percent, allowing the Mac to easily outpace the market.

Market leader Lenovo saw sales slide 8.5 percent year over year to 12.1 million units, according to IDC. The Chinese PC maker accounted for 20.1 percent of the market overall.

HP came in second with 19.2 percent share, off 10.8 percent, to 11.6 million units. And Dell took third with 9 million units, a 14.9 percent share and slide of 2 percent from 2015.

Meanwhile, according to Gartner, Apple's worldwide shipments advanced 1 percent year-over-year to 4.6 million during the quarter, giving it a 7.1 percent marketshare. HP by contrast saw units slide 9 percent, while Lenovo dropped 7.2 percent. Dell lost just 0.4 percent, but the only major PC maker to see growth was Asus, up 1.5 percent.

Lenovo did much better when solely analyzing the U.S. market, growing 14 percent, Gartner said. Dell also saw positive results, rising 3 percent to lead with a 26 percent marketshare. Both Apple and HP saw declines in their home country, with the former slipping marginally, but HP plummeting a whopping 17 percent.

IDC's domestic estimates had Apple in fourth with a 13 percent share, on sales of 1.77 million units in the U.S. American Apple sales were said to be up 5.6 percent, while overall PC sales in the U.S. were down 5.8 percent.

The computer industry has been on the decline for some time. In 2015, global shipments fell below 2008 levels -- about 300 million. Even together, the industry shipped only 64.8 million units in the March 2016 quarter. Quarterly numbers haven't fallen below 65 million since 2007.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    Wrong headline! Market share reached 8.3%
  • Reply 2 of 40
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,189member
    Yer both wrong. The table sez 7.1% for Apple. Asus reached 8.3% and was 7.4% a year ago.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 3 of 40
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    "cede share" is kind of optimistic don't you think? I wouldn't say chickens are starting to "cede share" to humans
  • Reply 4 of 40
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    why- said:
    "cede share" is kind of optimistic don't you think? I wouldn't say chickens are starting to "cede share" to humans
    Are chicken competing for the same thing?

In this case its more like Apple being the USA gaining ground quickly on Europe in 1890s.

If you count profits, I'd say it's very bad for most PC makers that Apple is making headway.
    Every 1% in worldwide market share for Apple is probably 15% less profits for the whole rest of the industry as Apple's ASP is way higher.
    aaronjbaconstangcaliargonautpmzpatchythepiratenolamacguy
  • Reply 5 of 40
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    foggyhill said:

well, yeah, survival
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 6 of 40
    What happened to Daniel? Why isn't he writing articles anymore?
    brakkenbaconstangcalipatchythepirate
  • Reply 7 of 40
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,712member
    foggyhill said:
    why- said:

In this case its more like Apple being the USA gaining ground quickly on Europe in 1890s.

If you count profits, I'd say it's very bad for most PC makers that Apple is making headway.
    Every 1% in worldwide market share for Apple is probably 15% less profits for the whole rest of the industry as Apple's ASP is way higher.
    That exactly right.  It isn't about physical units shipped it's about profits.  Apple is slowly sucking the profits out of the PC market as it already does in mobile.  I wonder what % Apple need to reach to suck all of the oxygen out of the PC room?  I doubt it need be much more than 15%.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 8 of 40
    Still a niche market, but at least they're healthy. My company will never switch to Mac (and thank god since I depend on Access) but I enjoy having Macs at home and want them to stay relevant.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    LOL, so AI cant even get the numbers right.  Sigh

Anyway it still look like a bright future for Mac, as the whole Mac Lineup is schedule to be updated.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 10 of 40
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,028member
    cpsro said:
    Yer both wrong. The table sez 7.1% for Apple. Asus reached 8.3% and was 7.4% a year ago.

Seems that there were two surveys, Gartner and IDC. The table is from Gartner but the 7.4% number is from IDC. Thus the headline is correct, if you bother to read through the article, as it is mentioned where the 7.4% and 7.1% numbers came from.   
    netmage
  • Reply 11 of 40
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Of the 5 individually listed companies, only Asus and Apple moved in a positive direction YoY.  Poor HP took a -9% tumble.  Ouchie.

And I'm not sure that I would call 7.1% global market share a "niche" market.  Granted, I'm far from being a business man.  But I would think that most companies in most industries would be happy to have that sort of global share.  Or am I wrong?
    baconstangcaliargonautnolamacguy
  • Reply 12 of 40
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    I wish the data provided was supported by an article based on that information.
    Roger, please edit and try again.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,099member
    What happened to Daniel? Why isn't he writing articles anymore?
    Hope he didn't crack up his bike again!
  • Reply 14 of 40
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Still a niche market, but at least they're healthy. My company will never switch to Mac (and thank god since I depend on Access) but I enjoy having Macs at home and want them to stay relevant.
    Oh God, you're still using Access? That's the worst excuse of a database platform that ever was.  Maybe it's gotten better since I've been converting terribly created Excel and Access "database programs", but yikes.
    caliargonautnolamacguy
  • Reply 15 of 40
    aaronj said:

And I'm not sure that I would call 7.1% global market share a "niche" market.  Granted, I'm far from being a business man.  But I would think that most companies in most industries would be happy to have that sort of global share.  Or am I wrong?
    It's always been difficult to compare Apple to any other company (or an entire industry).  Apple simply does things differently than everyone else.

Case in point... Apple's laptops start at $900.

But everyone else has laptops that start at $250.  

It doesn't take a genius to understand why the other guys sell more units and therefore captures more quarterly market share than Apple.

To your point... I don't think it bothers Apple that they have "only" 7.1% of the computer market. They're selling exactly what THEY want to sell.  Apple is the only company selling Macintosh computers... while everyone else is selling Windows computers.  That goes back to Apple doing things differently.

If you think about it... Apple has 100% of the Macintosh market...  a market that no one else is allowed in    :) 

But there's more than just the market share percentage.  

Would you rather be Dell with 14% quarterly market share selling low-margin $300 laptops?

Or would you rather be Apple with 7% quarterly market share selling high-margin $1,000 laptops?

The average selling price for a Windows laptop is $450... the average selling price for an Apple laptop is $1,200.  I think Apple is playing the game they want to play.
    metrixaaronjargonautpmzpatchythepiratenolamacguynostrathomas
  • Reply 16 of 40
    jkichline said:
    Oh God, you're still using Access? That's the worst excuse of a database platform that ever was.  Maybe it's gotten better since I've been converting terribly created Excel and Access "database programs", but yikes.

Just shows why most of the world is still running Windows. Deeply entrenched legacy products made with Access and Visual Studio that don't give developers a chance to break away.
    6Sgoldfishargonautai46
  • Reply 17 of 40
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,540member
    What a useless headline, and it just goes to show what a useless metric market share is. 

Apple's sales DECLINED year over year. They just declined slightly less than the industry average. 

While it's certainly worth reporting the numbers, spinning this as a "win" is ridiculous. 
    6Sgoldfish
  • Reply 18 of 40
    spheric said:
    What a useless headline, and it just goes to show what a useless metric market share is. 

Apple's sales DECLINED year over year. They just declined slightly less than the industry average. 

While it's certainly worth reporting the numbers, spinning this as a "win" is ridiculous. 
    Thanks for calling a spade a spade. In fact, considering the Mac's overall state of stagnation (largely thanks to Intel's haphazard chipset releases as well), I'm amazed growth has only declined by 2% (according to the first graph). Imagine the boon to sales, should Apple finally issue meaningful product updates.

In my case, I've been stalling a MacBook Pro and iMac upgrade for over 4 years now, despite 2,5y being my usual cadence for purchasing new equipment. I was contemplating a Mac Pro, even, but by the look of things I'm glad I held my horses. The recent years' Mac offerings simply aren't good enough to merit the additional expense. 
    edited April 2016 argonautavon b7
  • Reply 19 of 40
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    I see Apple is still being copied. I swear other companies intentionally find someone with an English accent to do these videos which makes it even worse.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/12/11412808/microsoft-surface-signature-type-cover

These videos work for Apple because they've been doing them since forever (and Ive has the perfect narration voice). Other companies copying this style just comes across as pathetic. How about coming up with your own style rather than just ripping Apple off.
    argonautpatchythepiratenolamacguy
  • Reply 20 of 40
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member
    But but but...Surface 4 and 100bn Windows 10 activations and...