With new Macs and OS X 10.12 on deck, WWDC 2016 could run June 13-17 [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2016
The 2016 edition of Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference may be later than usual this year, as the company gears up for OS X 10.12 and a wide-ranging refresh of its Mac lineup.

Update: The dates have seemingly been confirmed by Apple's Siri.

Checks of the Moscone Center in San Francisco by AppleInsider show that Moscone West -- Apple's preferred site for WWDC -- will be in use on June 1 as well as June 6 through 9. Given Apple's standard five-day WWDC window, that makes an early June event effectively impossible.

The company's chosen target is likely June 13 through 17, the only option giving it a full week. In fact the rest of the month is cut off, with conferences on stem cell research and Red Hat Linux already booked.

Still unknown is what products Apple might show this year. The company will almost certainly tease new versions of iOS and OS X, the latter of which could be rebranded as MacOS.

It may also announce new MacBooks during the event, if not before. Rumors of Apple's upgrade plans have been inconsistent, for instance suggesting that the company could axe the Air line, or revamp it by replacing the 11-inch model with a 15-inch one. If it eliminates the Air, it might still try to thin down the MacBook Pro. As for the company's 12-inch MacBook, an update may have to wait for the second half of the year, but also might not, and could potentially gain a 14- to 15-inch sibling.

The company is additionally overdue on updating its Mac Pro and Mac mini desktops. The Mini was last updated in October 2014, while the Pro is even more outdated, having been refreshed in December 2013.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    Yeah, no. If Apple is waiting for WWDC to update it's Macbook line, the sooner the better. This honestly seems like further proof, along with the stock-outs at third party retailers this morning, that the Mac lineup refreshes are coming before WWDC. 
    edited April 2016 doozydozendamonf1983
  • Reply 2 of 25
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    WWDC has not been about hardware launches in a long time. Between iOS, macOS, tvOS, and watchOS they have more than enough to focus on and talk about.

They wouldn't wait until WWDC to release updates to the MacBook line, unless they have some dramatically new products that require some dramatic introduction.
    damonfdoozydozencali6Sgoldfish
  • Reply 3 of 25
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    pmz said:
    WWDC has not been about hardware launches in a long time. Between iOS, macOS, tvOS, and watchOS they have more than enough to focus on and talk about.

They wouldn't wait until WWDC to release updates to the MacBook line, unless they have some dramatically new products that require some dramatic introduction.
    The retina MBP and the new Mac Pro were both announced at WWDC. I agree that they probably wouldn't wait for WWDC if it's just spec bumped Macs but if MBPs are getting a re-design it's possible they get announced at WWDC. Same if Apple announces a 5K Cinema Display. I wouldn't be surprised if new rMB's get announced in the next month or so.
    ireland6Sgoldfish
  • Reply 4 of 25
    tonghitonghi Posts: 6member
    What about the new 27" Thunderbolt 5K Pro display? It would feature single cable docking for new MacBooks with Thunderbolt 3. With integrated Radeon graphics à la the Razer Core Thunderbolt 3 eGFX chassis, the Apple display would provide Macbook users with high performance graphics while docked for Photoshop, Final Cut, and gaming. It would make sense for Apple to release it side by side with new MacBooks at WWDC.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Suprising that Apple's WWDC gets pushed back because the Mescone center was booked. Did someone forget to make the reservations, lol. The WWDC has been an establishment there for years. You'd think Apple would be allocated their time way in advance. Guess not. Will the WWDC move in house next year after The Spaceship opens?
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 6 of 25
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I just want tvOS to be fixed. It's such a mess, had me pulling my hair out last night.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    I have lost confidence in Apple's ability to make competent upgrades. El Capitan has turned my Mac Mini from a little rocketship into an anchor. So far Apple support has been unhelpful and can't acknowledge a possible mistake.  My mini has much more than minimum hardware requirements.
    tallest skil1983Reasonable907
  • Reply 8 of 25
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    tonghi said:
    What about the new 27" Thunderbolt 5K Pro display? It would feature single cable docking for new MacBooks with Thunderbolt 3. With integrated Radeon graphics à la the Razer Core Thunderbolt 3 eGFX chassis, the Apple display would provide Macbook users with high performance graphics while docked for Photoshop, Final Cut, and gaming. It would make sense for Apple to release it side by side with new MacBooks at WWDC.
    I imagine that the MacPro would be updated before (or alongside) such a display. It would be weird if the MBP could run a display that the MacPro could not.

Apple has been lavishing upgrades on its mainstream devices, for example: 5k iMac (and HiColor upgrade), new(ish) MacBook and I'd even throw in the iPad Pros and their various technological innovations.

Apple seems to be pausing before unleashing a full raft of new Pro Mac features. My guess is they are waiting until they can offer a Thunderbolt 3-based graphics connector shared across its MBP and MacPro lines which will allow the quoted poster's predicted 5K Thunderbolt 3 display. 

The Pro end of the Mac lineup feels like the couple moments of reloading before the grand finale of a July 4 fireworks display (sorry for the US-specific metaphor, international readers ;)
    tallest skil
  • Reply 9 of 25
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    A complete revamp and redesign of the entire Mac lineup, both desktop and laptop would be a very exciting development and the highlight of Apple's new model releases this year. But Apple being the slow conservative company that it has become over the last few years means that its unlikely to happen that way.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 10 of 25
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    tonghi said:
    That's a nice dream, I hope it happens but I doubt it will.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,721member
    tonghi said:
    That sounds very interesting. AMD also has released drivers for thunderbolt 3: http://www.computerworld.com/article/3043545/computer-hardware/gamers-rejoice-amd-releases-thunderbolt-3-driver-for-external-video-cards.html

• Reply 12 of 25
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member
    I was skeptical of slimmer Macbook Pros this year, as I felt like the Retina chassis is still too new for the Mac’s historically slow design upgrade pattern. However, I gave the history a look…

Aluminum G4: 2003
    Intel MBP (effectively identical chassis): 2006
    Unibody: 2008
    Retina: 2012

… so these designs tend to last 4-5 years (depending on how you count), making a new Retina model this year not totally unlikely…
  • Reply 13 of 25
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Who cares?
    It's all about WWDC 2017, right?  Right...? Ok, maybe 2018? 2019?
  • Reply 14 of 25
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    how about a mac mini server with two drives? 

I have the last core I7 mac mini server they made with two drives. it's still cruising along but i'm constrained for ports. 

would love one with 3 thunderbolt ports.

I can dream....
  • Reply 15 of 25
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    pmz said:
    WWDC has not been about hardware launches in a long time. Between iOS, macOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    MacOS
  • Reply 16 of 25
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I want a MacBook Air-like thin 14" rMBP with thin display bezels. Or a redesigned, lighter 14" rMBA (preferably this).

Apple should thin-out the bezels and move to 14" and 16" form-factors to differentiate from MacBook and clarify the lineup. 12", 14" and 16" makes much more sense than 12", 13" and 15". I also think they should keep around the MBA branding and keep the MBP branding exclusively for the 16" model and beef the crap out of that one. A thin 16", lightweight powerhouse MBP is what professionally really want (programmers, videographers, photographers, designers) I believe.

Lower the existing MacBook to ~$999 and introduce the other thinned-out family members. This would be cohesive and customer friendly.

MacBook = entry model.

MacBook Air = something more.

MacBook Pro = for professionals.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Holding out for that xMac! Not really, but I have to admit that a partially configurable slick mini tower that doesn't start at $3000 is still appealing. I like that idea of a monitor with the graphics card in it, too. Again, not likely, but it would be nice to see Apple do something about the gaming/VR disparity between Macs and PCs. Mac already has the gaming stigma, but VR is headed in a popular direction and having bad-for-games and bad-for-vr stamped on Macs isn't going to help sales.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 18 of 25
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Apple only introduces entirely new products which require developers to write software for, or Pro products at WWDC: Mac Pro, MacBook Pro.

So they would hardly wait to introduce new MB Airs or MacMinis at a non-consumer oriented event,
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Why would Apple go from MacOS X to OS X to then go to MacOS? Seems like an odd detour...

...particularly when they really should be moving to iOS X and an adaptive UI that can change from windowed, to full-screen, to touch, to TV and eventually VR
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Why?
    (do things get posted twice and then can't be deleted with the iOS app?)
    edited April 2016