Audio in and Logic

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Now that Apple has purchased Emagic, will they add a sound in jack? If so, will the built in sound be 24bit or stay 16 bit? Will they add midi ports? And will they modify the current emagic hardware to be more Mac like in appearance...... or make new hardware: midi keyboard controllers and interfaces?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    blizaineblizaine Posts: 239member
    [quote]Originally posted by n a d n e r b:

<strong>Now that Apple has purchased Emagic, will they add a sound in jack? If so, will the built in sound be 24bit or stay 16 bit? Will they add midi ports? And will they modify the current emagic hardware to be more Mac like in appearance...... or make new hardware: midi keyboard controllers and interfaces?</strong><hr></blockquote>

yes, yes, no, yes, no...

actually... I have no idea
  • Reply 2 of 19
    bsharpbsharp Posts: 64member
    I expect any audio changes will take months to implement. Maybe MWSF?
  • Reply 3 of 19
    sizzle chestsizzle chest Posts: 1,133member
    People who use apps like Logic need more than just simple audio input/output, and not just digital. They need multiple channels of analog, they need lightpipe (8 channel digital i/o), they need lots of options. It's not like DV, where every camcorder has the same firewire i/o. Some studios need 24 channels of 24 bit/96khz analog, some need 3 lightpipe streams for 24 channel digital, while some people only need SPDIF digital stereo.

I'd settle for OSX drivers for the existing MOTU interfaces, myself.

[ 07-01-2002: Message edited by: sizzle chest ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Yes..Drivers for MOTU's new firewire I/O boards would be the best direction. But it seems strange that Apple would buy a company that competes with such a direct developer for the Mac system as MOTU. Maybe thre's a partnership developing in the future. Audio is the missing link of the Apple's "Digital Hub" revolution. "Long Live The King"
  • Reply 5 of 19
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Apple has no choice but to compete with Developers. Motu has had ample time to prepare Dig Perfomer for OSX and where is it? The don't have the excuse that they're developing for both platforms.

Apple finally realizes that they have to get their hands a little dirty to push the market forward. Final Cut Pro has expanded the market and hopefully Logic Audio will do the same for Audio.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    [quote]Originally posted by bsharp:

<strong>I expect any audio changes will take months to implement. Maybe MWSF?</strong><hr></blockquote>

You make that statement as if they just woke up one morning last week and said "hey, lets buy emagic!"

I'm sure this has been in the works for a while and if they thought audio changes were needed for the next powermacs they would have time to do it.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    They need to. That was one of the dumbest things Apple did.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    nathan22tnathan22t Posts: 317member
    Apple will probably go ahead and buy Motu, a quick look at their website shows them to be a good candidate.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    doughboydoughboy Posts: 47member
    nathan22t said: [quote]Apple will probably go ahead and buy Motu, a quick look at their website shows them to be a good candidate.<hr></blockquote>::scratching head:: What about MOTU's website indicates such a thing?

[ 07-05-2002: Message edited by: DoughBoy ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 19
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    [quote]<strong>... I was thinking the same thing. After the Emagic announcement, I was thinking "what would be the logical follow-up to this, to really add value to the purchase?" My first thought was Avid/Digidesign, but that might be more expensive and difficult. Buying another company like MOTU or Steinberg would be pointless because that would mostly duplicate what they obtained with Emagic. ...</strong><hr></blockquote>

That was originally posted by sizzle chest in <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=001042&p=3"; target="_blank">this thread.</a>

Fair call.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Audio I/O??? Why would a Powermac need such ports? Only lamer gamers are into audio, doods!

Isn't it funny how Apple has neutered even their $4000 towers, to the point where you can't even plug in a mic out of the box and record with it? If you ask me it's pathetic. Whatever...
  • Reply 12 of 19
    buisbuis Posts: 30member
    [quote]Originally posted by bsharp:

<strong>I expect any audio changes will take months to implement. Maybe MWSF?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually, the emagic deal did take months...
  • Reply 13 of 19
    nathan22tnathan22t Posts: 317member
    Nothing Real and Silicon Grail overlap. Emagic and Motu overlap. There is no reason to believe they wont go after another audio company or two. It may or may not be Motu, but it will be someone. The only odd part is having Emagic as a separate unit in Germany. If Apple wanted to though, they could just buy an American company and ship all their technical know-how over there. Or buy an American company and bring it all in house, creating two teams working in conjunction, but on separate things.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    [quote]Originally posted by nathan22t:

<strong>Nothing Real and Silicon Grail overlap. Emagic and Motu overlap. There is no reason to believe they wont go after another audio company or two. It may or may not be Motu, but it will be someone. The only odd part is having Emagic as a separate unit in Germany. If Apple wanted to though, they could just buy an American company and ship all their technical know-how over there. Or buy an American company and bring it all in house, creating two teams working in conjunction, but on separate things.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think MOTU was a viable option but my guess is that this situation mirrored the infamous NeXT vs Be scenario in which Apple looked at MOTU's talents vs Emagic and went with emagic. Logic Platinum does amazing things once you learn the program is what I hear. Motu is Mac only but even their staunchest fans are extremely upset about the lack of OSX drivers and updates to DP. Also Apple loves to get popular talent with their purchases and having Dr Gerhard Lengeling is a nice pickup. I think overall that the engineering talents of Emagic are superior to that of MOTU(in Software). I expect great things from this purchase.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    MOTU is a great company...with talented programmers and designers of hardware. What will be will be, but I hope Apple respects those that have inspired them in ways their past employees have not. Buy or form a partnership with MOTU!!!! Final Cut Pro and DVD Stuio Pro are innovations in their areas of operation on the Mac. But if MOTU ever makes OSX drivers and updates their software, I'll go with them versus Emagic inspired software that Apple may produce. How many of you would stop using Photoshop if apple bought Corel Software and produced a drawing program, the innovations would have to be far advanced to make the transition worth the change in production methods.

It's Good To Be Living In These High Tech Times!!!

[ 07-07-2002: Message edited by: illume Gallery ]

[ 07-07-2002: Message edited by: illume Gallery ]</p>
  • Reply 16 of 19
    jobesjobes Posts: 106member
    i have no major issues with the lack of an input jack on macs these days ... you can always buy a Griffin iMic for about $30 and it provides good analogue input via USB. Better than the original input on my old clone and my Yosemite ... Apple used to add a slighly proprietory minijack which ws slighlt deeper than standard to accomodate the Apple Plaintalk mic.

My personal experience was that this jack port was unusally succeptable to damage if an input was repeated attached over time ... i used to get a stereo imbalance or sound degradation, even with quality cabling. Not everybody needs audio in ... many Apple customers will be capturing audio from DV sources, and FW copes well with this. Having a new digital audio subset (intro'd on the PMs in MWSF 01) and losing the audio in provides more benefits than losses, IMHO)

And i concur that anyone using a pro audio app like Logic will need &gt;1 audio I/O option. I think many of these compalints come from warez kidz who have not actually bought a copy of Cubase, Digital Performer or Logic, and are pissed that they can't just get an audio source in for free. My opinion is that anyone buying a new mac for audio work, and spending $300+ on an audio package is going to care enough to buy an Edirol, Griffin input ate the VERY least ... and more likely will buy a PCI card/MOTO box/Mbox-type audio adapter with a good range of audio options. And many will aim even higher.

So don't sweat it. And dont wait for Apple to build dedicated audio hardware ... 3rd party developers do it well for macs, and emagic will no doubt continue to provide solutions like this, with better OS X support. This Emagic purchase is very important for Apple, but it is predominantly a professional focused purchase. There may be a trickle-down move to a more commercial iApp in the future, but even then I believe that will predominantly be focused on editing own sounds from CD-ROM, sample banks, DV and similar sources.

My thruppence ha'penny's worth

And I concur
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Isn't anyone here familiar with mLan?? It audio/midi over firewire. The latest Yamaha keyboards come with an mLan interface, so all you have to do is hook it up to your Mac, an all your midi and audio go through one single cable. Instant multi channel HD recording. I'm sure that's gonna be expanded in the not too distant future, especially if you look at what OS X's Core Audio is capable of!!
  • Reply 18 of 19
    cowofwarcowofwar Posts: 98member
    There once was a sound-in jack on all towers, they even shipped with a microphone. I found it handy just to do basic projects that required some sounds that I could record myself.

I can't see why Apple dropped it...maybe it was the move to USB? If so I would have expected them just to switch the included microphone to usb format.

Does anyone have any idea why Apple decided to drop the audio-in?
  • Reply 19 of 19
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by cowofwar:

<strong>There once was a sound-in jack on all towers, they even shipped with a microphone. I found it handy just to do basic projects that required some sounds that I could record myself.

I can't see why Apple dropped it...maybe it was the move to USB? If so I would have expected them just to switch the included microphone to usb format.

Does anyone have any idea why Apple decided to drop the audio-in?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Rephrase your question-

"Why did Apple drop the mic on the towers and not the iMac?" I'll never understand why my folks can video conference right out the box and I have to buy a fricking mic.