Apple services stand out as bright spot in otherwise rough Q2

Posted:
in AAPL Investors
Services revenue was perhaps one of the few comforts for Apple in its second-quarter financial results shared on Tuesday, growing 20 percent year-over-year to $5.99 billion, setting an all-time record for the company.

"We are very happy with the continued strong growth in revenue from services, thanks to the incredible strength of the Apple ecosystem and our growing base of over one billion active devices," Apple CEO Tim Cook said in a prepared statement.

As usual, the company's unaudited data summary lumped all services together, rather than breaking down individual sources. The category does, however, include everything from iTunes, the App Store, Apple Music, and iCloud through Apple Pay and licensing income.

The rest of Apple's second quarter was largely disappointing, with overall revenue down 13 percent to $50.557 billion. All of the company's major product segments -- iPhone, iPad, and Mac -- declined in terms of shipments and revenue. The iPhone, Apple's mainstay, saw shipments fall by almost 10 million units, with revenue down 18 percent to $32.857 billion.

Services growth was likely connected to Apple Music. It now has over 13 million subscribers, up 2 million during the quarter. The company is still behind Spotify, which in March had over 30 million paying customers, plus many more people on its ad-based tier.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    The honeymoon is over. Now we will see how many people stay with smartphones as a technology going forward. 
  • Reply 2 of 21
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Which poster was it on AI who complained that Apple was hiding something by focusing on services last quarter?

Well Apple was serious and they did a great job!
  • Reply 3 of 21
    brakken said:
    The honeymoon is over. Now we will see how many people stay with smartphones as a technology going forward. 
    And what do you opine that people switch to going forward?  Moleskines and etch-a-sketches?
    Rayz2016ericthehalfbee
  • Reply 4 of 21
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    sog35 said:
    Services is the future of growth for Apple.

The big growth in the future will come from services. With services growth Apple can increase revenues by 100%
    I can see a couple of massive services acquistions by Apple in the next year.
    iCloud needs a lot of work, a real lot of work. Buying in quality and innovations might work, as long as the integration is properly executed.  I don't think Apple has a good history here, and Apple Music and iTunes are an example of that.  Too much needs figuring out, instead of just being intuitive.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    sog35 said:

cali said:
    Which poster was it on AI who complained that Apple was hiding something by focusing on services last quarter?

That was Rogifan.

And in another thread he's still adamant that Cook 'walked away' from taking about services.
    Not that it really matters much to the topic at hand, but for the sake of accuracy, I believe that "he" is actually a she. :#
  • Reply 6 of 21
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    sog35 said:

cali said:

That was Rogifan.

And in another thread he's still adamant that Cook 'walked away' from taking about services.
    I still believe it's BS and so does my Twitter feed of Apple bloggers and pundits. Services are there to augment devices not replace them as the main revenue driver. If you think the future of Apple in terms of revenue growth is IAP games then Apple is in deep trouble. And let's face it there's nothing exciting about saying revenue grew because people handed down their iPhone or iPad and those people are now buying apps. It will be really depressing if Apple implements some paid placement for search just to offset declining hardware sales.
    macplusplus
  • Reply 7 of 21
    A few years ago I was excited about ecosystem extensions that I thought would drive a next wave of growth:
      - Home Kit
      - Health Kit
      - Research Kit
      - Car Play

Unfirtunately, they haven't gotten much mainstream traction. I'm still bullish on Apple's future, teaching myself Swift to become an iOS developer, but some of Apple's initiatives of the past few years seem to have fallen short of the aspirations.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    sog35 said:

That was Rogifan.

I still believe it's BS and so does my Twitter feed of Apple bloggers and pundits. Services are there to augment devices not replace them as the main revenue driver. If you think the future of Apple in terms of revenue growth is IAP games then Apple is in deep trouble. And let's face it there's nothing exciting about saying revenue grew because people handed down their iPhone or iPad and those people are now buying apps. It will be really depressing if Apple implements some paid placement for search just to offset declining hardware sales.
    There's nothing wrong with growing revenue by monetizing your user base. I'm all for it.  Only bump in the road that I see is that Eddy Cue seems to break everything he touches.
    robbyx
  • Reply 9 of 21
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    A few years ago I was excited about ecosystem extensions that I thought would drive a next wave of growth:
      - Home Kit
      - Health Kit
      - Research Kit
      - Car Play

Unfirtunately, they haven't gotten much mainstream traction. I'm still bullish on Apple's future, teaching myself Swift to become an iOS developer, but some of Apple's initiatives of the past few years seem to have fallen short of the aspirations.
    I can't believe they aren't majorly invested in HomeKit with a whole range of first party products. It's absurd. Instead they take the Microsoft approach and rely on third parties to create a hodgepodge of options. Home automation is a market just waiting for "disruption", yet Apple more or less ignores it and tries to become a fashion company with a watch very few people want.

And they honestly think they'll one day compete in the car business against the big players and Tesla?  Good luck. Tesla has a huge head start. By the time the "Apple Car" is revealed, Tesla will have delivered hundreds of thousands of Model 3.  The people who reserved a Model 3 would likely have been Apple customers, early adopters. Apple just lost all of them.

I'm glad services revenue has grown, but it's no replacement for creating innovative products. Apple TV4 is weak. The apps suck. Gaming is mediocre. Apple Watch is a bore. Nothing special. Competitors have caught up to the iPhone more or less. iPad Pro and Apple Pencil are cool, but a niche market. The Mac is falling farther and farther behind PCs in terms of performance for the price. 

But we should all hold our breath and wait for the car to dazzle us in a few years?  I think they are losing their way. 
  • Reply 10 of 21
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    There's nothing wrong with growing revenue by monetizing your user base. I'm all for it.  Only bump in the road that I see is that Eddy Cue seems to break everything he touches.
    I'm baffled by how he still has a job.  I avoid Apple services for the most part. iCloud Drive sucks. Not even close to Dropbox. iCloud Photo Library nuked my pictures and I've never given it a second shot.  Services, especially ones that manage a user's data, need to be bulletproof.  Eddie should be fired and they should bring in someone who really knows how to make services run reliably. 
    canukstorm
  • Reply 11 of 21
    robbyx said:
    I'm baffled by how he still has a job.  I avoid Apple services for the most part. iCloud Drive sucks. Not even close to Dropbox. iCloud Photo Library nuked my pictures and I've never given it a second shot.  Services, especially ones that manage a user's data, need to be bulletproof.  Eddie should be fired and they should bring in someone who really knows how to make services run reliably. 
    He's Tim Cook's "yes man"
    robbyxentropys
  • Reply 12 of 21
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    When you think about it, home kit really is low hanging fruit.  Apple just launched it, and....sorry, where was I?
    Oh, yeah, homekit.  It wasn't developed further as the logical home for it would be a decorative local iOS based NAS/itunes server/backup/btooth/IR universal with Siri that just works and runs on the smell of an oily rag.  But  Apple wants you to access services like iTunes and iCloud on the web, as Apple knows that everyone has a 100 Mpbs unlimited connection, so it will never happen.  
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 13 of 21
    sog35 said:
    Services is the future of growth for Apple.

They can still grow hardware by about 2-5% a year (not counting this year because of the iPhone6 anamoly - which was THREE years of pent up demand for a big screen iPhone).

The big growth in the future will come from services. With services growth Apple can increase revenues by 100%

Like I've been saying for months. Tim Cook needs to stop emphasizing unit sales. That's what widget companies do. Apple is a PLATFORM company.  They need to focus on GROWING THE INSTALL BASE and selling better and more services to this install base.

I can see a couple of massive services acquistions by Apple in the next year.
    If Apple is going to succeed in services, they need to shed their closed ecosystem tendencies.  They need to offer a full set of cloud email, contacts, notes, calendar, maps, music, movies, storage, etc that is standards based, cross platform, and cross browser.  And native clients need to be available for OSX, Windows, Linux, iOS, and Android.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Sure I get that but Apple is known for making great products that people desire. Services should be something that just sit on top of these great products making them even better. But let's face it there's nothing sexy about "monetizing your user base". What's exciting about that?

BUT, if Apple's main focus now is monetizing the user base then I think someone other than Eddy Cue needs to lead that effort. No one can say Apple's services are best in class. As I said elsewhere I've spent two days trying to get iTunes to recognize my iPad Pro with zero luck. I ripped a bunch of Prince songs and have been trying to get them on my phone; half showed up the other half are there but grayed out and unplayable.

When Apple Music came out it was mess. Eddy Cue's 25 minute demo at WWDC (why was this product being announced at a developer conference?) was cringe worthy. He didn't announce a service he spent 20 minutes demoing a confusing music app. Jim Dalrymple complained about Apple Music so badly Apple actually flew him out to Cupertino to fix his problems. And what about Apple TV. No remote app, Bluetooth keyboard or dictation support at launch. No App Store categories at launch. Entering passwords or searching for anything was a real pain. And now the rumors are Apple's foray into original programming is completely disorganized. As are the iCloud/Siri teams. App Store was taken from Eddy and moved under Phil. Apple analyst Ben Bajarin recently said he was moving all his stuff to Office because he felt iWork was a dying product. The places you can use Apple Pay are still very small in number. I could go on and on. There's nothing under Eddy Cue's leadership that's great. Cook needs to do something about this.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Sure I get that but Apple is known for making great products that people desire. Services should be something that just sit on top of these great products making them even better. But let's face it there's nothing sexy about "monetizing your user base". What's exciting about that?
    Like most of the media, you seem to be very preoccupied by what is exciting / sexy / new all the time, and constantly worried about "the media thinks of Apple".

I do agree with your comments regarding what we see out of Eddy Cue's organization, and it is a cause for concern.  I will hold further criticism until after WWDC, to see if there is some indication things might be improving.

Apple is not a services company, nor do I believe that Apple is trying to brand themselves as that (don't listen to or bother responding to that sog character).  They are legitimately trying to put some spotlight on a growing part of the business, and it is an area that Apple needs to invest further in, in order to grow.  It would be foolish not to consider methods to increase revenue from the installed base - but it needs to be a considered and not a splatter gun approach (e.g. just say no to paid search results).  If the services are good, then it also increases stickiness.  This might not be sexy to you, but it is good for Apple.  This doesn't have to detract from Apple's primary focus on making great products that inspire loyalty.

Apple does need to both invest more here, and potentially streamline how they sell it.  Apple has never been one for "bundling", but I would say that time has come.  Right now you have to pay separately for Apple Music, iTunes Match, iCloud drive, & there is only Apple Care on a per-product basis.  Seems like some low-hanging fruit on creating some bundles that would generate increased interest.  Generate more subscription business via App Store with an official reduced rate there vs. the 30% (to what is rumoured to be the rate done with Netflix and HBO).
    Rayz2016
  • Reply 16 of 21

BUT, if Apple's main focus now is monetizing the user base then I think someone other than Eddy Cue needs to lead that effort. No one can say Apple's services are best in class. As I said elsewhere I've spent two days trying to get iTunes to recognize my iPad Pro with zero luck. I ripped a bunch of Prince songs and have been trying to get them on my phone; half showed up the other half are there but grayed out and unplayable.

When Apple Music came out it was mess. Eddy Cue's 25 minute demo at WWDC (why was this product being announced at a developer conference?) was cringe worthy. He didn't announce a service he spent 20 minutes demoing a confusing music app. Jim Dalrymple complained about Apple Music so badly Apple actually flew him out to Cupertino to fix his problems. And what about Apple TV. No remote app, Bluetooth keyboard or dictation support at launch. No App Store categories at launch. Entering passwords or searching for anything was a real pain. And now the rumors are Apple's foray into original programming is completely disorganized. As are the iCloud/Siri teams. App Store was taken from Eddy and moved under Phil. Apple analyst Ben Bajarin recently said he was moving all his stuff to Office because he felt iWork was a dying product. The places you can use Apple Pay are still very small in number. I could go on and on. There's nothing under Eddy Cue's leadership that's great. Cook needs to do something about this.
    Here are a couple of tweets that summarize well what's going in the consumer (not enterprise) computing market:

In a nutshell: In the mainstream consumer market, as smartphones get bigger / more powerful, they are replacing tablets / PC’s for a majority (not all) of people. Larger-screen / 2nd-screen devices aren’t necessary (or are good enough), which is why Apple has re-oriented its marketing for iPad towards the Pro / enterprise market, because that's where the biggest potential for growth lies.

So Apple has two options: A) come out with new product categories and / or B) derive more revenue from its existing user base.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    sog35 said:

That was Rogifan.

iTunes and iBooks shut down in China. That is the outcome of services. Apple cannot rely on services for both international and domestic growths. Apple is a hardware / software company and it will remain so. The best things they can do are hardware / software. There lies their competitive power. Services can be done by everyone, you don't have to be Apple to stream music. Monetizing the user base is wise, but pushing Apple to the limit of self-destruction for the sake of monetizing that user base would leave no user base in sight to be concerned about... 
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 18 of 21
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    iTunes and iBooks shut down in China. That is the outcome of services. Apple cannot rely on services for both international and domestic growths. Apple is a hardware / software company and it will remain so. The best things they can do are hardware / software. There lies their competitive power. Services can be done by everyone, you don't have to be Apple to stream music. Monetizing the user base is wise, but pushing Apple to the limit of self-destruction for the sake of monetizing that user base would leave no user base in sight to be coıncerned about... 
    What is Apple doing that is pushing themselves to the limit of self-destruction trying to monetize the use base?
  • Reply 19 of 21
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    brucemc said:
    iTunes and iBooks shut down in China. That is the outcome of services. Apple cannot rely on services for both international and domestic growths. Apple is a hardware / software company and it will remain so. The best things they can do are hardware / software. There lies their competitive power. Services can be done by everyone, you don't have to be Apple to stream music. Monetizing the user base is wise, but pushing Apple to the limit of self-destruction for the sake of monetizing that user base would leave no user base in sight to be coıncerned about... 
    What is Apple doing that is pushing themselves to the limit of self-destruction trying to monetize the use base?
    Apple does nothing and hopefully it won't do anything like that. These guys are the fellows of hardware / software and they know what they are doing.

Ask that user base what they want: Better computing products or the newest albums @0.99?
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Ok Tim Cook we need to talk ASAP. This is alpha a, I got have some info you min Ghetto need for the future of Apple and ai markets will and I promos with all do respect I am one man you need on your side. I speak of ideas all the time only to see them on television and haven't caught back but that is soon to change. I think you guys know who I am and change is coming with or with out me on the team. This world is small but the uvers is taking over. I'm tired of the low road and the high road has been calling. Picture this "(@)" the beginning and the end (@) that alpha and the omega O range. That's all I can say now. I got to have an allowance a company car and day care for my kids. My wife left me with three kids and I got to get something going. I'm sure you know about Comcast and xefinitys new app to stream live media from phone and do away with the old cable companies. Well that was my idea I was o. A records line with AT&T and mentioned it and was told that it was not possible to do that then seen a commercial where they was going to make a app for it two days later. Right away they jumped on it before anyone else had it. Well I emailed them and haven't heard anything else about it. So two weeks go but then I see where AT&T partners with Comcast and now Comcast and xfinity . I mean come on lol ole me broke down father of four construction work of 15 years. Has more tricks up my sleeve, so to say. I will not give up and I will be successful on this o e way or another I just don't see the point in company's stealing the ideas of good men. I mean no disrespect by no means. I'm am perusing this to the end and want to leave legacy of honor, respect and trust and a thief I am not. So I ask you to go to bat for me because they only have half the idea that makes it the next great tech divice. That is going to change everything. All rights reserved to alphaNomega.ideas.net [email protected] 3187946872....