Microsoft appears to be copying Apple's 2014 Continuity Handoff feature for Windows PCs

Posted:
in macOS
Two years ago, Apple introduced Handoff--part of Continuity--as an innovative solution to a problem nobody had anticipated: how to wirelessly, automatically transition work in progress between a phone and tablet or desktop computer. Now Microsoft appears to be copying the feature for Windows 10.

Source: Reddit

A posting to the Windows Insiders Reddit depicts a privacy setting that allows "apps on your other devices" to "launch apps and continue experiences over Bluetooth."

Microsoft earlier this month demonstrated Project Rome at its Build developer conference, which was said to enable users "to connect, manage and control any connected app or device proximally or from the cloud."

Belatedly bringing features copied from Apple's innovative Bluetooth-powered Continuity suite--first introduced for iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite-- to Windows would benefit far fewer users. That's because Windows 10 hasn't exactly caught on as a mobile platform for smartphones in any way comparable to the more than 1 billion installed base of iPhones and iPads.

Additionally, while Continuity initially looked like a way to enhance the integration between Macs and iOS devices, the introduction of Apple Watch clarified a new purpose for Continuity in making tasks launched on the new wearable easy to seamlessly transfer to the user's phone.

Like Windows 10 smartphones, Microsoft's wearable Band similarly lacks any significant installed base of users comparable to Apple Watch. However, following Apple's lead does show that Microsoft--along with Google--continues to appreciate Cupertino as providing a source of inspiration for its future roadmap of operating system features, regardless of whether Windows 10 might ever find any relevance outside of the shrinking PC plateau.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Apple and Microsift share a wide swath of patents with each other.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    Ian CIan C Posts: 1member
    It would not be surprising, Because microsoft has always been a theft company
    williamlondoncalinolamacguy
  • Reply 3 of 33
    bkkcanuckbkkcanuck Posts: 864member
    I sign that Microsoft's competing vision of one device for everything may have been a faulty theory?
    It would not be surprising, Because microsoft has always been a theft company
    As any good company would....
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 4 of 33
    SnRaSnRa Posts: 65member
    Apparently this feature is being built upon technology utilized for Xbox SmartGlass released in 2012. It should also work across iOS and Android devices connecting to a Windows PC.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    jonljonl Posts: 210member
    a problem nobody had anticipated: how to wirelessly, automatically transition work in progress between a phone and tablet or desktop computer.
    "A problem nobody had anticipated?" Seriously? I thought of it every time I left my desktop to take a dump with smartphone in hand.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    Does anyone actually use Handoff? I thought it looked very cool when it was announced but I've never found a practical use for it.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    bkkcanuckbkkcanuck Posts: 864member
    xbit said:
    Does anyone actually use Handoff? I thought it looked very cool when it was announced but I've never found a practical use for it.
    Unfortunately it is not backwards compatible with a lot of my devices....
  • Reply 8 of 33
    RamonRamon Posts: 1member
    Palm webOS did this years ago, before Apple and Microsoft did it in their phones.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 9 of 33
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    cant wait tbh
  • Reply 10 of 33
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 878member
    Apple and Microsift share a wide swath of patents with each other.
    exactly who cares, about this crap, "Copying", so 90's... seriously, these guys (Apple, Microsoft, Google, Amazon, Samsung, etc) are starting to just drop lawsuits... WHICH IS AWESOME!!! To much red tape, to many similarities... I mean it's getting obvious, phone to phone, watch to watch, tv box to tv box, they're all almost all the same anymore, app this app that... blah blah...
  • Reply 11 of 33
    xsmixsmi Posts: 139member
    xbit said:
    I do all the time. Mostly web pages, however, I've used it withPages as well. 
  • Reply 13 of 33
    I always find it brilliant when I use handoff. When I work on my computer I can receive phone calls and answer text messages or transferring urls between devices.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    As it is yet an other way of locking people in into the ecosystem I don't get why Apple makes it so hard to use it with older builds of MacBook's and iMacs.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    As stated earlier I was impressed when this came out for Apple products. I have yet to take advantage of this...have not used it once (other than I set up a test run just to see it in action). Anyone actually use this?
  • Reply 16 of 33
    Yes, I did until I changed to some older stuff. But this week, or next, my MacBook arrives plus a new iPad mini. Also my Lumia will go to the kids, so the coming weeks I'll be all new and back to Continuity. I can't wait!
    cali
  • Reply 17 of 33
    As it is yet an other way of locking people in into the ecosystem I don't get why Apple makes it so hard to use it with older builds of MacBook's and iMacs.
    Continuity / Handoff requires Bluetooth 4 LE (Low Energy) to work.  There are ways to get it to work on older devices, but it requires getting a Bluetooth USB dongle that is compatible with what Macs use and then applying a sort of patch to make it to work.  Basically if they enabled it it would end up draining battery life quickly out of any device using batteries (i.e. everything but a mac mini and mac pro) ....  I think they just figured only supporting Bluetooth 4 LE chipset was probably less confusing.

steveh
  • Reply 18 of 33
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Not sure how one toggle switch can be said to be copying.
    lord amhran
  • Reply 19 of 33
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    bkkcanuck said:
    Continuity / Handoff requires Bluetooth 4 LE (Low Energy) to work.  There are ways to get it to work on older devices, but it requires getting a Bluetooth USB dongle that is compatible with what Macs use and then applying a sort of patch to make it to work.  Basically if they enabled it it would end up draining battery life quickly out of any device using batteries (i.e. everything but a mac mini and mac pro) ....  I think they just figured only supporting Bluetooth 4 LE chipset was probably less confusing.

Interesting I didn't know about the dongle, I wonder if there is third party apps to make that process simpler in conjunction with the dongle.   I'm thinking how older Macs without Airplay can use Air Parrot, albeit a different technology.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    xbit said:
    I use it quite often to answer phone calls on my ipad or iMac especially when I've left my phone in another room.