Porsche to bring Apple's CarPlay to 718 Cayman series

Posted:
in iPhone
Sportscar maker Porsche has announced support for Apple's CarPlay in the 718 Cayman and 718 Cayman S, which are now on sale, but only shipping to dealers in late November.

Unusually, Porsche's announcement makes no reference to Android Auto compatibility, something almost de facto in any 2017-model vehicle also being updated with CarPlay. The latter is bundled with the Connect Plus upgrade module though, which also offers things like Google Earth and Google Street View.

The standard 718 Cayman starts at $53,900, before options and fees, while the S model is $66,300. The latter has a 2.5-liter, 350 horsepower engine, giving it faster acceleration and a higher top speed.

Porsche already offers suport in the 718 Boxster, the 2016 model of the 911, and 2017 Macans.

When CarPlay launched in 2014, luxury vehicles were initially the only ones to have the technology built in, making it inaccessible for most people. The first car, in fact, was the Ferrari FF. Since then Apple and automakers have worked to get the standard into more affordable vehicles from companies like Ford, Honda, Kia, and Chevrolet.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    Got CarPlay on my '16 Golf GTI. I find it to be okay, feels half-baked with plenty of room for improvement, especially in Maps and iMessage. CarPlay apps are also seriously lacking with almost all being just generic music apps, for example where is Waze?
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Got CarPlay on my '16 Golf GTI. I find it to be okay, feels half-baked with plenty of room for improvement, especially in Maps and iMessage. CarPlay apps are also seriously lacking with almost all being just generic music apps, for example where is Waze?

I'm stuck with Bluetooth on my '10 GTI. It'll do for now! Whatever I get next will have to work with CarPlay.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Where can one find a credible, updated list of which makes and models have CarPlay integration?

AI, it would be a useful service to your readership to provide a link to such a list (if it exists), or to create one (if it does not). 
    edited April 2016 paulfrost_me
  • Reply 4 of 7
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Yeah Waze indeed. I use it every time I drive.  Mostly to get the alerts, but also to find the fastest path. It seems to be mostly excellent.
    paulfrost_me
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Well, for once Porsche vehicle development is (luckily) more focused on the non-autonomous driving part than infotainment systems or else, and I certainly prefer it that way. Nevertheless it's desirable to be somewhere close to state-of-the-art with regards to these systems, however what Porsche does is to have a single platform for all their models.

The latest version of this "Porsche Communication Management" (PCM) platform features Apple Carplay and came to the facelifted 911 last fall. Since, it's been launched on the new Boxster model, now the Cayman as well. If it isn't already (haven't checked), it'll be in the Macan, Cayenne and Panamera, and it'll have the same feature set across the line, so there isn't much of a newsworthy announcement here at all.

Same is true for the non-support of Android Auto. It's not that it's not mentioned in this Cayman specific announcement, Android Auto is simply not part of that PCM version, therefore it's not available on any model. When the new platform came to the 911, Porsche explained that they would not support Android Auto for the time being due to Google's contractual requirements for the use of the technology including having to provide access to certain vehicle data to Google, see http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/6/9460471/porsche-911-carrera-apple-carplay-google-android-auto or similar reports.

This is truly important. Carmakers with a reputation should stand up and protect customers from the data-hungry behavior of Internet companies. As we all know, given it's business model, Apple is on the slightly "better" side of that wall for the time being, and hope it remains like this, which is what Porsche recognized with their decision. Thanks, Tim!
    badmonk
  • Reply 6 of 7
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member

I'm stuck with Bluetooth on my '10 GTI. It'll do for now! Whatever I get next will have to work with CarPlay.
    Same here on my '15 GTI.  The touchscreen is the weak point on the entire car. 
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Where is a list of apps that carplay can use? From a brief look around, most seem to be radio stations & not expanded from there. They layout choice for showing music needs to be much much better too. Album artwork, track listing, artist listing. Not very good at all when listening to dance music compilations. Also needs to have an option for right hand drive cars for the controls. A universal design should have the home button at the centre & any specific controls to be adaptable to be left or right hand drive. Maps is shocking, generally here in the UK, Maps can't find any business or stores effectively. Apps I would love to have TedTalk .Parking (syncs with phone - airport or exhibition parking for instance) DAB Weather Petrolprices Soundcloud Shazam (when here something on the radio - then download into phone) BBC iPlayer Radio TomTom WhatsApp MPG calculator Notes - dictate notes using Siri specific fuel brand apps, nearest is etc like BP, Exxon/Esso, supermarket fuel. Language Apps - learn while driving Audible etc ZipCode / Postcode recogniser Road side breakdown cover companies such as the AA or Green Flag PayByPhone for parking Parkopedia - shows parking spaces in an area you might not be familiar with. Carplay could be so so much better, i'm just not convinced enough yet to buy an after market head unit. such a shame