Apple revenue from China forecast to fall 15% this year due to marketwide smartphone slowdown

Posted:
in AAPL Investors
Apple's revenue from China plummeted 26 percent year over year last quarter, and is projected by Sterne Agee CRT to fall 15 percent in fiscal year 2016, as the entire smartphone market faces struggles in that market.

In contrast, China alone was responsible for 43 percent of Apple's entire growth from calendar years 2011 through 2015. But analyst Rob Cihra noted in a note to investors on Tuesday that the struggles are not Apple-specific, nor are they competitive.

For Apple, its biggest issue is comparisons to staggering 84 percent year-over-year growth seen in fiscal 2015. There's also a slowdown occurring across China's entire smartphone market, to which Apple is not immune.

"Although from a competitive standpoint, some domestic Chinese vendors like Huawei continue to post strong growth, together with recent boomers including Oppo, we believe that this is more competitive share shift, with even previous darling Xiaomi's momentum having now meaningfully slowed," Cihra wrote.

Apple's massive growth in calendar year 2015 allowed it to gain 4 percent of the Chinese marketshare. Cihra believes those gains were Samsung's losses, as the South Korean vendor saw its market share slide 6 percent year over year.

Despite Apple's recent struggles in China, Chief Executive Tim Cook remains optimistic on the country of over 1 billion people. In comments made during his company's quarterly earnings conference call last week, Cook said the region is "a lot more stable" than some perceive.

Still, many investors are spooked by Apple's 26 percent dip in revenue last quarter, including activist investor Carl Icahn, who announced last week that he no longer owns shares in AAPL. Icahn said he still views Apple as a "great company," but he's concerned about interference from the Chinese government, which could "make it very difficult for Apple to sell there."

Sterne Agee CRT has maintained a "buy" rating for AAPL stock, with a 12-month price target of $135.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    The market is as the marker does.
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 2 of 12
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    And it's up today. Maybe I should've bought more yesterday!
  • Reply 3 of 12
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    sog35 said:
    IN THE NEXT 5 YEARS OVER 2.5 BILLION PEOPLE WILL BUY THEIR FIRST SMART PHONE.

2.5 BILLION PEOPLE.

WORLDWIDE SMARTPHONE PENETRATION IS AT 40%

FEATURE PHONES STILL OUT NUMBER SMARTPHONES WORLDWIDE.
    I'm surprised at that if true. Industry numbers show shipments of smartphones outpacing feature phones as far back as qtr1, 2013. That's over three years ago. Smartphones must far outnumber feature phones by now shouldn't they? 
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 4 of 12
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    And it's significant to know whether or not Apple has factored this into its guidance. It has been very accurate with that even since it went to giving ranges for guidance.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    sog35 said:
    Its like people can't look beyond 12 months
    And for those IDIOTS who say iPhone growth has maxed out around the world:
    That's a bit much I think, I see an increase of 500000 in three years: http://www.statista.com/statistics/330695/number-of-smartphone-users-worldwide/ so a billion in the years following seems a bit of a stretch.
    Anyway, if no one buys an iPhone - because of the price for example - nothing is gained.
    edited May 2016 cali
  • Reply 6 of 12
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    sog35 said:
    Its like people can't look beyond 12 months

Here is China's December quarter revenue the last 5 years:

2011 - 4.3 billion
    2012 - 7.2 billion
    2013 - 9.7 billion
    2014 - 16.1 billion
    2015 - 18.2 billion

4 year growth = 323%
    3 year growth = 256%
    2 year growth = 88%

And for those IDIOTS who say iPhone growth has maxed out around the world:

2.5 BILLION PEOPLE.

Agree 100%:
    As older people are dying off (they never owned smartphones, younger kids are getting older and buying smartphones....sounds morbid but in the last 10 years, I doubt many 70yr olds were buying smartphones...but I know 13-16yr Olds will be...
    While Henriette and Stanley (the couple in the 80s are still buying the TV guide to find out what's on tv, little Jimmy has grown up and is off to college with his new IPhone, while Stacey just got her license and needs a phone, and Alex just got a new job needs a phone also..all just adding to the user base 
    edited May 2016 calipatchythepiratebadmonk
  • Reply 7 of 12
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,303member
    So if the entire smartphone market is suffering a (probably temporary) downturn, why has that been 100 percent taken out of Apple's hide, even though it actually performed better than its rivals? (<-- rhetorical question, I think we all know the answer)
    palomine
  • Reply 8 of 12
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    If Apple had saturated the market I'd bite, but that seems like something pulled out of ones ass.
    We'll see how the SE sells. These Analysts are basing this on very little (as usual).
    palomine
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Herbivore2Herbivore2 Posts: 367member
    sog35 said:
    Its pretty obvious that smartphone users will grow massively the next decade.

Close to 200,000,000 new smartphone users a year.

Price may be a factor. That is why I'm a strong supported of Apple licensing iOS in developing countries. These phones can sell for $200-$300. I don't think Apple wants to tarnish its iPhone brand by selling new iPhones for $200. 

Apple would select one smartphone maker per region. For example in China they could select ZTE. The hardware would be made to Apple's exact specifications and will use A-series CPU's. They will run iOS just as well as 3 year old iPhones. In exchange Apple will receive a $20 royalty and increase their iOS user base. Apple will be able to enter the $200-$300 market with tarnishing the iPhone name nor risk hardware losses. They will create a very profitable and high margin service business.

I want the Apple CEO to do this the next 5 years so they don't need to rely on China so much:

1. License iOS in developing countries for $200-$300 phones
    2. Pledge $150 billion to build Apples advertising and data mining empire
    3. Build iPhones in other countries such as India and Vietnam
    4. Buy Netflix and add a live TV package to it. Netflix has more subscribers than any USA cable or dish provider
    5. Pledge $50 billion to build their cloud infrastructure
    6. Release an Mac running iOS for $399

I agree fully that Apple should produce a 399 iOS computer in the mini form factor with all of the external ports and the capability of running a full screen monitor. 

Building out a capable cloud is also something they should do. 

Licensing iOS is not a good idea. Apple needs to be in control of the hardware and quality control issues. Poorly built hardware is a recipe for disaster. But Apple should build an A series variant, perhaps the A9 built on an older node. Maybe the A8 or even A7 built on the newest node. Perhaps reintroduce the old A7 or A8 (like they did with the latest Apple TV). Reduce the cost of the CPU, memory and display as much as possible while still building a high quality product. Even if the device performs at the level of the iPhone 5 or 5S, it may be good enough to entice people to purchase an iOS device over an Android one. Especially if Apple can get the price point down to 150 to 200 dollars. Such a device wouldn't cannibalize the sales of the state of the art devices either like the SE will do to the 6S. 

Apple can and should reduce the price of the iPhone. Once people are in the iOS ecosystem, it is difficult to move off of it.

I myself am looking forward to the next iteration of the Apple Watch with the S2 CPU. If it comes with an LTE modem, I will be purchasing the device. The Apple Watch in conjunction with the iPad Pro is the ideal combination. Much more so than pairing the watch with an iPhone. The watch is the next big thing. 
  • Reply 10 of 12
    domino67domino67 Posts: 34member
    chasm said:
    So if the entire smartphone market is suffering a (probably temporary) downturn, why has that been 100 percent taken out of Apple's hide, even though it actually performed better than its rivals? (<-- rhetorical question, I think we all know the answer)
    The market as a whole was up 500,000 and Apple was down 10,000,000. Android is growing. iOS isnt. The overall market has iOS at 15.3% (down 3% from 18%) and Android well over 80%
  • Reply 11 of 12
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    sog35 said:

2.5 BILLION PEOPLE.

What do the demographics of those 2.5BN people look like? What's the overlap with targeted iPhone user demographics?

The reason FEATURE PHONES STILL OUT NUMBER <sic> SMARTPHONES WORLDWIDE is because these are people who can afford a $13 phone that lasts 10 years.

cnocbui