Apple imagines future Siri enhancements to find, control live television content

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
If Apple ever gets its long-rumored web television service for Apple TV off the ground, a newly-issued patent shows that users may depend on voice navigation to find, watch, and record shows and events.

Titled "intelligent automated assistant for TV user interactions," the patent details a number of ways in which a virtual assistant -- such as Siri -- might help consumers interact with an over-the-top television service. Examples include searching program listings, recording live content for later viewing, and calling up previously-saved videos.

Importantly, Apple contemplates not just normal natural language processing, but also the concept of intent. Apple sees a Siri-like assistant understanding the questions asked or commands issued and responding appropriately.

Some of this is already on display in tvOS, the operating system that runs atop the fourth-generation Apple TV. Siri recognizes when users ask for details on a particular movie or show, and differentiates those requests from more mundane real-world queries.

For instance, asking Siri on tvOS for information on Gosford Park will return results related to the 2001 film, rather than the rural park found in Northern Ireland.

The new patent shows some more grand ambitions, as well. In one particularly interesting example, Apple imagines a series of networked devices connected to disparate displays -- multiple Apple TV units in different rooms, each with their own television monitor -- interacting with each other.

In this case, a user might tell their living room Apple TV to "play Silicon Valley in the bedroom," and the HBO series would begin playing on the specified television, rather than the one which heard the command.

Apple credits Marcel Van Os, Harry J. Saddler, Lia T. Napolitano, Jonathan H. Russell, Patrick M. Lister, and Rohit Dasari with the invention of U.S. Patent No. 9,338,493.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I'd welcome any improvements. There's too much problems to fit in one post but a few are:

"I'm sorry I can't do that right now"
    WHY?

Annoying computer/gender joke when asking for titles that include words such as "girl, girlfriend, boy, boyfriend".

(Heres a free TV show season with the word "girlfriend" by the way:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/tv-season/crazy-ex-girlfriend-season/id1093947697 )*

Siri can't find certain titles that are on iTunes for some reason.

and the annoying "I can't search the web right now" when you didn't ask.

*edit: looks like they took down the whole free season and are only offering 4 episodes now. Correct me if I'm wrong. 
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 2 of 10
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    voice control is great but it doesnt work in most countries.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    After 5 years, Siri is still crap. 

Viv is what Siri should have been by now. They c0ck block those guys that created Siri from doing what they envisioned to do, they left Apple, and now they've come up with a superior product in Viv. Perhaps Apple should buy Viv and this time they should let those guys do their thing.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    Meh. No thanks.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

Viv is what Siri should have been by now. They c0ck block those guys that created Siri from doing what they envisioned to do, they left Apple, and now they've come up with a superior product in Viv. Perhaps Apple should buy Viv and this time they should let those guys do their thing.
    its hilarious that you're comparing a canned presentation to a REAL product. Viv doesnt exist yet. its a tech crunch demo. call me when its a real product.

and unless you worked at Apple at the time, you have no idea what really happened there. i can spin a story, too -- maybe the Siri/Viv guys wanted to make a boatload of cash by selling out to Apple, realized they didn't like having bosses, and decided to slack it out until their contract terms were expired so they could do it all over again. sure why not. i wasnt there, you weren't there.
    brucemc
  • Reply 6 of 10
    bwinskibwinski Posts: 164member
    SIRI Is useless. When it can play a movie that's LOCAL TO ME on my iPas or iPhone and not from some imagined, well executed search, then it will find a place in my tiol kit, but until she starts doing what I want her to do, she remains - SWITCHED OFF.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    calicali Posts: 3,494member

its hilarious that you're comparing a canned presentation to a REAL product. Viv doesnt exist yet. its a tech crunch demo. call me when its a real product.

and unless you worked at Apple at the time, you have no idea what really happened there. i can spin a story, too -- maybe the Siri/Viv guys wanted to make a boatload of cash by selling out to Apple, realized they didn't like having bosses, and decided to slack it out until their contract terms were expired so they could do it all over again. sure why not. i wasnt there, you weren't there.

Your theory actually makes more sense but neither of you were there so yeah true.

I do think Apple should buy Viv. Yeah they may be ridiculed but Siri is the future and  they should acquire all the tech possible to advance that.

I believe if Siri advances, "Google it" wil be a phrase of the past.
    When we can ask Siri something like:

"if I do 50 push-ups tonight will I be sore in the morning?"
    and she responds
    "Yes you will since you haven't weight trained in over a month".

Then searching for the answer on a website search engine which gives links to ads, thousands of pages, forum questions, irrelevant posts, etc. will feel so outdated.

In order for Apple to get closer to this reality they need to ramp up Siri development and every iOS release needs to take Siri Seriously
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 8 of 10

The point is Siri is still underwhelming and you know it. Siri today should be where Viv (even if it's a demo) is or close to it, or showing its going in that direction. At least those Viv guys have a clear vision and direction. I can't say that with Apple for Siri. 

It's been 5 years, sure it's learned a few tricks but it's not where it should be. Maybe if Apple releases a Siri API.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    manfrommarsmanfrommars Posts: 104member
    SIRI is agonizingly useless.  Adding features to something fundamentally broken does nothing.  This needs to be tied to a radical improvement in SIRI's voice recognition and speed, and some solution to this nagging issue of needing to connect through the internet to execute any command no matter how mundane.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,256member
    I just wish Siri would connect the dots when asking follow up questions to a querie. For example, "Who won the hockey game last night? How many goals were scored?" 
    That alone would satisfy most of my use cases.