Apple's iCloud Mail & Notes services hit by sudden outage [u]

Posted:
in iCloud edited May 2016
Two iCloud services, Mail and Notes, suffered server-side problems on Friday morning, leaving some people unable to send or receive email, or create and sync any notes online. [Updated]

Issues began around 8 a.m. Eastern time and are still ongoing, Apple's system status tracker indicates. The company claims that only 0.86 percent of iCloud users are affected.

Apple hasn't said whether the problem is global or localized, or when it might be resolved. Other online services could also potentially be affected, since Apple's tracker will sometimes miss the full extent of difficulties, or even ignore them completely.

People should still be able to use local versions of the Notes app such as the one in iOS 9, but affected users may not be able to get them to sync, or create new ones through iCloud.com.

iCloud has been hit by semi-regular outages since it first launched in 2011. Apple is believed to be working on overhauling and internalizing the network's architecture, but teams at the company are thought to be mired in conflict.

Updated: Apple states that the problem was resolved shortly after noon Eastern time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    crispeecrispee Posts: 1member
    Yep no email for me.
    larryjw
  • Reply 2 of 26
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    I actually lost all iCloud notes yesterday. iCloud no more for me.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    rwesrwes Posts: 200member
    I was just wondering what was going on (on both my phone and Mac) - multiple requests to sign into iCloud account etc.
    wdowell
  • Reply 4 of 26
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Everything working fine in LA
  • Reply 5 of 26
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    These occurrences are not newsworthy, given their frequency.
    singularitylord amhran
  • Reply 6 of 26
    cintoscintos Posts: 113member
    Fine here in CT
  • Reply 7 of 26
    just went back on-line
  • Reply 8 of 26
    and now it's gone again
  • Reply 9 of 26
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 226member
    If Apple seriously wants to increase its Services revenue, it could do with getting the basics - like Email - right!!
    lord amhran
  • Reply 10 of 26
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member
    Given the frequency of outages, I'm wondering if Apple Insider would consider dedicating a portion of its website to providing a live feed of Apple's network reporting data.   It would save me time in looking up and having to check if an issue occurred, and it would provide a draw for more folks to bookmark this site as a reference.
    techprod1gybaconstang
  • Reply 11 of 26
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Under Tim Cook's feeble leadership, Apple has become consistently second rate in every regard! Lower 52 week lows, that all one can expect from Tim Cook.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I continue to rely on Gmail and it has only let me down a few times over years of use.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    emoeller said:
    Given the frequency of outages, I'm wondering if Apple Insider would consider dedicating a portion of its website to providing a live feed of Apple's network reporting data.   It would save me time in looking up and having to check if an issue occurred, and it would provide a draw for more folks to bookmark this site as a reference.
    You mean like...

https://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/

Link was was also posted in article. 
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 14 of 26
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    wdowell said:
    If Apple seriously wants to increase its Services revenue, it could do with getting the basics - like Email - right!!
    It is really more about data centers. Apple only has a few. Think of it like a disk array. If one fails there is redundancy. The way data centers for large organizations like Google, Microsoft, Facebook work is they have multiple data centers in diverse geographic areas which continually copy data to backup centers so if there is a backbone outage the data centers are load balanced and the traffic gets routed to the back up center. Apple is building out their data center presence but they are not there yet. I think Google has 12 substantial data centers in the US and 5 more in Europe...and they have several under construction. So it is not really how big the data centers are, you need lots of them to provide redundancy.
    magman1979stevehbaconstang
  • Reply 15 of 26
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    It's entertaining to read people complain about iCloud service reliability...

Being someone that is forced to work with Microsoft cloud products daily, I can attest to how many MORE problems Microsoft's services have vs Apple's, yet not ONE SINGLE NEWS AGENCY usually picks up on the almost DAILY failures of Microsoft's junk...

In 5 years, I have had some of the best uptime and reliability with iCloud when compared against Microsoft services, such as OneDrive, Azure, Exchange 365, etc... The only company that has shown better reliability and uptime has been Dropbox.
    badmonk
  • Reply 16 of 26
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    Just turned on the iMac.  Mail, etc., working fine in Northern NM.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    emoeller said:
    Unfortunately Apple frequently misses mentioning down services, or reports them long after they've been evident to some users based on numerous mentions of unreported service outages on various Apple fan sites.  Linking to their status report may not be as beneficial as you'd assume it would be
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 18 of 26
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member
    emoeller said:
    You mean like...

Thanks I am well aware of the link, but as a service to its readers it would be helpful if Apple Insider included this information (just like they show the current stock price).  I usually have this site tabbed and open during the day and it would be helpful.
    palominebaconstang
  • Reply 19 of 26
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    emoeller said:
    emoeller said:
    You mean like...

Thanks I am well aware of the link, but as a service to its readers it would be helpful if Apple Insider included this information (just like they show the current stock price).  I usually have this site tabbed and open during the day and it would be helpful.

AI's AAPL Stock Price is delayed ...

Thy this instead:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=AAPL

• Reply 20 of 26
    techprod1gytechprod1gy Posts: 838member
    I am in the Midwest and seem to get an outage or two each month. Given the sheer scale it seems reasonable but I am expecting no drop in service. I suspect that we will continue to see blips as Apple continues to grow user base and infrastructure.