Alleged 'iPhone 7' shell photos show relocated antenna bands, unexpected cutout

Posted:
in iPhone
Photos published on Monday show what is purported to be a rear shell for Apple's upcoming "iPhone 7," largely matching recent schematics leaks except for one addition.

Between the lens aperture and the camera flash are two small holes, rather than the single hole found on the iPhone 6 or 6s, noted LetemSvetemApplem, which discovered the photos through Chinese blogging site Weibo. The authenticity of the images can't be confirmed, and they conflict with recent schematics, which show only one hole in between as usual.

If the shell is genuine, one of the holes is presumably for the rear microphone, but it's not clear what the second would be for. One possibility is enabling stereo recording, but if so it's not clear why one of the holes would be smaller than the other.

Other changes from the iPhone 6s are expected however, namely the relocation of antenna bands to the top and bottom of the device. Some people have complained that the bands on the iPhone 6 and 6s -- which wrap directly around the back -- are garish and interrupt the design.

There doesn't appear to be any sign of a Smart Connector, although recent rumors have suggested that only the "7 Plus" might get such technology, possibly in tandem with a dual-lens camera and/or 3 gigabytes of RAM.

Apple is expected to ship new iPhones later this year, most likely in its standard September launch window.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    Omfg pictures of a possibly rumored maybe real potential iPhone 7!! Squee!!!!
  • Reply 2 of 47
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    "There doesn't appear to be any sign of a Smart Connector" Just a thought, but could Apple be planning an iPhone Pro line? We've got Macbooks and Macbook Pros. We have Macs and Mac Pros. We now have iPads and iPad Pros. Why not have some more expensive, more fully featured iPhone Pros?
    wdowelltmay
  • Reply 3 of 47
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 226member
    williamh said:
    "There doesn't appear to be any sign of a Smart Connector" Just a thought, but could Apple be planning an iPhone Pro line? We've got Macbooks and Macbook Pros. We have Macs and Mac Pros. We now have iPads and iPad Pros. Why not have some more expensive, more fully featured iPhone Pros?
    I agree. I suspect they'll have a pro line. either for both sizes or for the Plus size only. It will enable them to increase the ASP /profit in an otherwise relatively stagnant market.
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 4 of 47
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    wdowell said:
    williamh said:
    I agree. I suspect they'll have a pro line. either for both sizes or for the Plus size only. It will enable them to increase the ASP /profit in an otherwise relatively stagnant market.
    The Plus will be called the Pro, in my opinion anyway.

Curious about whether Pencil will work with iPhone Pro.
  • Reply 5 of 47

sog35 said:
    None of these leaks show the front of the iPhone.

Why?

I'm expecting Apple to give a sneak peak of the iPhone7 at WWDC next month.

Usually full leaks are seen in March. The iPhone6 was leaked in March. This is already mid-May.  Apple is only leaking the back shell. The front holds the big surprise.

No more home button.
    Near ZERO bezel front display.

iPhone 7 will be 5 inch screen
    iPhone 7 Pro will be 5.8 inch screen
    Next Spring we will see iPhone 7SE with 4 inch screen

There really is no reason to have a 4 inch and a 4.7 inch phone, sizes are too similiar.
    Apple isn't leaking these; it's coming from the leaky supply chain, assuming that they are even accurate, and no, there won't be a sneak peak at WWDC. There may be some developers who get to use early production iPhone 7's  at Apple HQ before release, as has been done in the past.
  • Reply 6 of 47
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    sog35 said:

Why?

Usually full leaks are seen in March. The iPhone6 was leaked in March. This is already mid-May.  Apple is only leaking the back shell. The front holds the big surprise.

No more home button.

There really is no reason to have a 4 inch and a 4.7 inch phone, sizes are too similiar.
    Apple doesn't leak these things. And no, the home button and bezels won't be gone. That's just silly talk. My guess is we'll see that with a completely redesigned phone in either 2017 or 2018. Also what the hell is iPhone Pro?
  • Reply 7 of 47
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    tmay said:
    wdowell said:
    The Plus will be called the Pro, in my opinion anyway.

Curious about whether Pencil will work with iPhone Pro.
    Why, so Apple can add another $100 to the price and the media can label it a Galaxy Note ripoff?
    hjmnl
  • Reply 8 of 47
    Cobra101Cobra101 Posts: 22member
    The innovation train is on a roll!
  • Reply 9 of 47
    sog35 said:

Why?

No more home button.

I think the 3 sizes they have is just fine.

No more, no less.
    mike1jackansi
  • Reply 10 of 47
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    sog35 said:

Why?

No more home button.

If 0.7" is too similar, is 0.8" really all that different? I think the 4/4.7/5.5 is a great spread.

It will be interesting to see what Apple has in the works for the iPhone 7. If the rumors have any weight, my wife and I will both keep our current iPhones (6+). The only thing the phone really leaves to be desired is 2GB of RAM and a better camera. 

jackansi
  • Reply 11 of 47
    One of those two small holes could be an IR illuminator for focus assistance in low light; the other could be another microphone as others here have suggested. 
  • Reply 12 of 47
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    sog35 said:

Why?

No more home button.

This [purportedly] is a picture of back of the shell of the iP7.

If they showed the front, you would see an empty shell -- no screen, no bezels, no forehead or chin, no electronics ... Just an empty shell.

edited May 2016 jackansimattinozthepixeldoc
  • Reply 13 of 47
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

tmay said:
    One of those two small holes could be an IR illuminator for focus assistance in low light; the other could be another microphone as others here have suggested. 

Ooooh IR ...

AIR, one of thE camera technologies that Apple acquired uses IR set/measure depth of field -- in that case the holes could be for an IR transmitter and an  IR receiver.

Also, there could be other uses (than camera) for IR, e.g. 3D surface mapping -- like a room or a face ...
    edited May 2016 roundaboutnowslprescott
  • Reply 14 of 47
    That looks terrible.."IF" that's indeed the iPhone 7 design..expect another Y-o-Y decline for Apple. 
    1983hjmnllarrya
  • Reply 15 of 47
    That looks terrible.."IF" that's indeed the iPhone 7 design..expect another Y-o-Y decline for Apple. 
    230 billion just does not go too far nowadays.
    edited May 2016 1983
  • Reply 16 of 47

tmay said:

Ooooh IR ...

AIR, one of thE camera technologies that Apple acquired uses IR set/measure depth of field -- in that case the holes could be for an IR transmitter and an  IR receiver.

Also, there could be other uses (than camera) for IR, e.g. 3D surface mapping -- like a room or a face ...
    That would be very cool, and quite useful.
    loquitur
  • Reply 17 of 47
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    sog35 said:

Why?

No more home button.

This [purportedly] is a picture of back of the shell of the iP7.

If they showed the front, you would see an empty shell -- no screen, no bezels, no forehead or chin, no electronics ... Just an empty shell.

Ah, but emptiness is seen by some as an opportunity to backfill with bucketloads of random ideas . . .
  • Reply 18 of 47
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    What would "pro" mean when applied to a phone? A pro computer is used by like graphics professionals. A pro phone? Professionals of what use this phone?
    Doesn't quite make sense. 

Maybe consider alternatives:
    iPhone 7 B for Badass
    iPhone 7 ME More Expensive
    iPhone 7 HE High End
    7 HMP for Higher Monthly Payments
    iPhone 7 FOC for Flat Out Cool

?

larryabanchojackansi
  • Reply 19 of 47
    jbishop1039jbishop1039 Posts: 257member
    I think nowadays the Pro moniker is reserved for the higher end devices that carry more powerful features than their non Pro counterparts. I don't think it's really exclusive to "professional" user devices anymore. IMO, calling the one model iPhone Pro actually sounds better than Plus and aligns better with their overall naming convention. But, I may be off in left field on this one too :)
  • Reply 20 of 47
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    512ke said:
    What would "pro" mean when applied to a phone? A pro computer is used by like graphics professionals. A pro phone? Professionals of what use this phone?
    Doesn't quite make sense. 

Maybe consider alternatives:
    iPhone 7 B for Badass
    iPhone 7 ME More Expensive
    iPhone 7 HE High End
    7 HMP for Higher Monthly Payments
    iPhone 7 FOC for Flat Out Cool

?
    You forgot..

iPhone 7 LAMe - Look at Me
    edited May 2016 jackansi