Resisting Apple Pay, Walmart pushes its own e-wallet to over 500 retail stores

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2016
Rather than accept Apple Pay, mega-retailer Walmart is instead pushing forward with its own mobile payment service, dubbed Walmart Pay, which has launched at its stores across Texas and Arkansas.

Though Apple Pay continues to expand, Walmart has still resisted Apple's NFC-based payment system, and is now offering its own digital payments through the Walmart app. Walmart was part of a retailer group in late 2014 that initially opposed Apple Pay and backed CurrentC, an alternative QR-code digital payment method similar to Walmart Pay.

The move is significant given that Walmart has 110 stores in its home state of Arkansas and another 480 stores across Texas, serving 140 million customers a week. With over 20 million customers using the Walmart app tied to Walmart Pay every month to pay for purchases, the company is confident that shoppers will continue to use their product.

"We can't wait to hear what our customers and associates in Texas think of Walmart Pay," said Daniel Eckert, senior vice president of services for Walmart. "The service was built to make shopping easier and faster, something we know our customers want."

Unlike the convenient tap-to-pay functionality with Apple Pay, Walmart Pay requires additional steps such as opening the Walmart app first, choosing Walmart Pay and then scanning the QR code. A customer can also protect access to the app via a pin or Touch ID.

Walmart Pay works with both iOS and Android smartphones, prepaid cards and all major payment cards (Visa, MasterCard and Discover). The company encourages use in any checkout lane, from self-service to regular lanes. Walmart Pay stores receipts and shopping lists, keeps track of gift card balances and enables customers to refill prescriptions.

However, Walmart Pay's usage is limited to just Walmart stores. With extra steps and less encryption, offers a slower and less secure experience than Apple Pay.

Meanwhile, Apple Pay is now supported at over 2 million retail stores nationwide and continues to gain support among banks in the U.S., Canada and U.K.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Can you load food stamps on this crap app?

"We want to hear what our customers want. This app makes shopping fast and easy for them"

Customers want APPLEPAY.

APPLEPAY already makes shopping faster and easier.
    edited May 2016 jbishop1039magman1979teejay2012anton zuykovindyfxronntdknoxjbdragonwaverboyjony0
  • Reply 2 of 47
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member
    There's a good chance if you're shopping at Walmart, you don't have an iPhone for their stupid app.
    magman1979anton zuykovbaconstanglollivertdknoxwaverboyjony0
  • Reply 3 of 47
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Seriously ? PEOPLE who go to shop at walmart don't care to use App like Walmart App. ApplePay, may be yes.
    caliValueAnalyst
  • Reply 4 of 47
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    They're just catering to their clientele, who see Apple as elitist.
  • Reply 5 of 47
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    I can count the number of times on one hand that I've shopped at Walmart in my entire hand.  Unless it's for the most dire of emergencies, and there are no other stores around I'll shop at Walmart.  Not accepting ApplePay just gave me another reason not to shop there.  I love using it.

magman1979lollivertdknoxjbdragonbancho
  • Reply 6 of 47
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    ceek74 said:
    There's a good chance if you're shopping at Walmart, you don't have an iPhone for their stupid app.

What an ignorant comment...Who the hell do you think shops there?
    ronnmessagepad2100entropysmaltz
  • Reply 7 of 47
    diplicationdiplication Posts: 609member
    cali said:

"We want to hear what our customers want. This app makes shopping fast and easy for them"

Customers want APPLEPAY.

In Texas, food stamps come in the form of a credit card - the Lone Star Card. Many times people will pay with their Lone Star Card, and then ring up a second purchase and pay using other methods for the items for which the Lone Star Card cannot be used. This can be really fun to get stuck in line while this is sorted out. Easy solution for me is to go to another grocery store that accepts Apple Pay. To be honest though, accepting Apple Pay would not entice me to shop more at Walmart, there are too many other negatives. 
    baconstangtdknox
  • Reply 8 of 47
    Herbivore2Herbivore2 Posts: 367member
    Walmart is out of touch here. I use one click on Amazon and I will use Apple Pay if available at a brick and mortar store. I don't shop Walmart. The quality of their merchandise is poor and the selection is limited unlike Amazon. 

Walmart should have looked at the demographics of their own shoppers before going forward. It is quite doubtful that many of their shoppers will even be interested in downloading the Walmart app. 
    caliValueAnalystbaconstanglolliverpscooter63
  • Reply 9 of 47
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

First I do not shop at WalMart so I do not care what they do.

I will tell you have to deal with the Chip & Pin in Canada and now in the US, the entire process sucks really bad next to Apple Pay.

Apple Pay is another shining example of How Apple gets it right and everyone else has not clue. The Entire chip and pin process is slow and cumbersome. There is so many steps in the process that it is easy to screw it up. Especially at a restaurant, they have to bring the machine to your table, then they have to punch in the information about your charge, then you have to slide in your card , answer questions, then decide how to do the tip, most have defaults for 10%, 15% or 20% or you can enter your own amount. Any place they allows Apple Pay it so much easier. Whole thing at WalMart is just going to take extra steps which people will screw up.

I can not believe there were people on here from the UK and elsewhere talking about how much better chip and pin was. As a person who used card swipe, chip and pin and Apple pay, chip and pin is at the bottom of the list of easy of use. The simple fact you have to unlock your phone, then find the WalMart app, then navigate to the correct place in the app to read the code, then go through what ever security steps to authorize the payment this is going to turn into a nightmare.

Walmart is doing this to try and save 2% to 3% on CC transaction. They are trying to cut CC out of their business so they can make a little extra profits for the Walmart family.

edited May 2016 caliValueAnalystmagman1979mike1baconstangtdknoxjbdragonwaverboy
  • Reply 10 of 47
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,724member
    Good luck with that.

And yt another proof that all this "we care so much about our customers" is complete bs. They care about monetizing customers above and beyond customer experience. Oh, when I say "they" I don't restrict this o Walmart and ApplePay.Jesus, why can't people once understand that if a great tech comes around that has huge potential and definitely increases customer satisfaction, that you can only looser if you don't join, but come up with competing nonsense. Don't they know that happy customers ultimately give you more money?

calimagman1979
  • Reply 11 of 47
    diplicationdiplication Posts: 609member

They're just catering to their clientele, who see Apple as elitist.
    Their clientele can't even spell elitist, or clientele, or Apple, or...
    magman1979baconstangtdknoxpscooter63
  • Reply 12 of 47
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    cali said:

Customers want APPLEPAY.

I don't know the exact figures but I can imagine that only around 30% of the average customer of Walmart have a an Apple Pay capable iPhone.  The other 70% does not care about Apple Pay.  So from the perspective of Walmart it is not so strange to invest in a payment app that can address all smartphone users.
    This is one of rare places where the absolute market share figures of the iPhone are relevant.  If 70% of the Walmart customers would have an iPhone, their strategic decision might have been different.
    The Walmart situation is not unique.  Apple fails to make Apple Pay a success in Europe for exactly the same reason: the iPhone market share is too low for merchants to invest in the system.

ronn
  • Reply 13 of 47
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    Is "need to open Walmart app and scan QR code" the best you could do to contrast the two mobile payment systems?  How about the biggest difference: Walmart requires ACCESS TO YOUR BANK ACCOUNT!

Obviously Walmart's statements about doing it to help its customers "make shopping easier and faster" is total BS.  As others have already commented, there are already mobile payment solutions like Apple Pay and whatever-Samsungs-or-Google's-things-are-called that do this better and faster than this purports to.  No, the real reason is *money* of course.  Like everyone, Walmart has to pay MC/Visa/Amex/Discover a fee every time someone uses them to pay.  This mobile solution lets Walmart get around that - since it'll take the money directly out of your bank account!
    chiamagman1979baconstangtdknoxwaverboy
  • Reply 14 of 47
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    cali said:

Customers want APPLEPAY.

In Texas, food stamps come in the form of a credit card - the Lone Star Card. Many times people will pay with their Lone Star Card, and then ring up a second purchase and pay using other methods for the items for which the Lone Star Card cannot be used. This can be really fun to get stuck in line while this is sorted out. Easy solution for me is to go to another grocery store that accepts Apple Pay. To be honest though, accepting Apple Pay would not entice me to shop more at Walmart, there are too many other negatives. 
    The food stamp bit was a little joke. I can assure you a big chunk of their sales are from food stamps.

What other negatives does Wal Mart present?

cropr said:
    cali said:

Customers want APPLEPAY.

I don't know the exact figures but I can imagine that only around 30% of the average customer of Walmart have a an Apple Pay capable iPhone.  The other 70% does not care about Apple Pay.  So from the perspective of Walmart it is not so strange to invest in a payment app that can address all smartphone users.
    This is one of rare places where the absolute market share figures of the iPhone are relevant.  If 70% of the Walmart customers would have an iPhone, their strategic decision might have been different.
    The Walmart situation is not unique.  Apple fails to make Apple Pay a success in Europe for exactly the same reason: the iPhone market share is too low for merchants to invest in the system.

And you can just as easily suggest the opposite logic that Apple users are spending big money, Apple has little
    worldwide market share yet Apple users spend the most. Cutting them
    off to please a few android users who don't even know what a good phone is, is just as risky if not more risky since most android users don't know how to use apps and won't bother to download one.
  • Reply 15 of 47
    cincyteecincytee Posts: 404member
    Rather than accept Apple Pay, mega-retailer Walmart is instead pushing forward with its own mobile payment service, dubbed Walmart Pay, which has launched at its stores across Texas and Arkansas.
    Don't even mean this as a slam, but how much do Apple's and Wal-Mart's demographics overlap? I just have to think there isn't much of a clamor for Wal-Mart to start accepting Apply Pay.
    croprronntdknox
  • Reply 16 of 47
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    I especially love the hand written notes by employees taped on to the chip readers ..."Leave card in"..."Don't remove until told to do so"....Give Walmart Pay less than a year and there will be a big security breach
    edited May 2016 magman1979calibaconstangpscooter63jbdragon
  • Reply 17 of 47
    DangDaveDangDave Posts: 98member
    The issue is NOT ApplePay. The issue is that Walmart does not want to pay the 2 to 3.5 percent fees that Walmart and any other store has to pay to the banks if they allow bank credit cards to be used. 
    chiabaconstangronntdknoxpscooter63jbdragon
  • Reply 18 of 47
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    tjwolf said:
    Is "need to open Walmart app and scan QR code" the best you could do to contrast the two mobile payment systems?  How about the biggest difference: Walmart requires ACCESS TO YOUR BANK ACCOUNT!
    I am not so sure
    The text states that Visa/Mastercard/Discover cards are accepted. There is no need to access your bank account for a Visa payment. 
  • Reply 19 of 47

Unfortunately I live in an area where Wal-Mart dominates. They are about the only game in town. I have tried to use Walmart pay 4 times and have only been successful once. Most of the cashiers do not even understand how it works. I hope it fails soon and they allow apple pay.

magman1979caliValueAnalyst
  • Reply 20 of 47
    hobbit52hobbit52 Posts: 1member
    What's a Walmart? I won't shop there any more. I don't shop there now....they don't like the right technology. How much you want to bet we here of someone hacking their app with in 3 months.
    calibaconstang