Fitbit's 'basic' devices dominate wearables market, Apple Watch sneaks into third

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2016
As the wearables market continues to evolve, new data shows a widening gap between basic and affordable fitness bands and more complex, do-it-all devices like Apple Watch -- though the bulk of sales skew toward cheaper, simpler devices like Fitbit.

The burgeoning wearables segment continued to see explosive growth in the first quarter of 2016 with 19.7 million devices shipped, a 67 percent year-over-year increase, according to data from the IDC Worldwide Quarterly Wearable Device Tracker.

Researchers attribute surges in market demand to wider device distribution and healthy competition. Industry players, forced to differentiate their products in an increasingly crowded marketplace, are adopting new consumer targeting strategies. As the dust settles, the rift between basic single-use devices like Fitbit and complex all-in-ones like Apple Watch is widening, the study found.

"There's a clear bifurcation and growth within the wearables market," said Jitesh Ubrani senior IDC research analyst. "Smart watches attempt to offer holistic experiences by being everything to everyone, while basic wearables like fitness bands, connected clothing, or wearables have a focused approach and often offer specialized use cases."

Fitbit, focused on a single use for health and fitness tracking, continues to dominate overall wearable segment sales, leading with 4.8 million shipments and 24.5 percent marketshare in quarter one, up one million units from last year. While Fitbit's sale of prior product lines like Surge and Charge declined, the firm sold one million new Blaze smartwatches in the three month period ending in March.

Chinese upstart Xiaomi came in second with 3.7 million units shipped and a 19 percent marketshare, while Apple followed in third with 1.5 million units and 7.5 percent of the market.

In the smartwatch segment, IDC estimates that Apple is the industry's top vendor with a 46 percent share of the market, followed by Samsung with a 20.9 percent market share. Motorola comes in third with 10.9 percent of the market, while Huawei and Garmin round out the top five with 4.7 percent and 3 percent of the market, respectively. It should be noted that Apple has not announced specific sales figures for the Apple Watch, instead packaging those metrics into a catchall "Other" earnings report category.

In comparison to Apple's recently reduced $299 base model pricing, Fitbit's price point averaged $100 per device in the first quarter. The affordable pricing strategy, combined with a single purpose device, has helped Fitbit establish itself as a dominant player in the wearables market. Despite significant earnings, Fitbit's growing operating costs from $79 million to $215 million have led to lower stock gains and a weaker performance on Wall Street.

As for future growth prospects, some 3 out of 5 existing Apple Watch users would be willing to upgrade without even seeing the next model, according to a recent survey conducted by Fluent, a customer acquisition firm. Consumers are eager to see improvements in customization and personalization of the watch screen.

While wearables constitute a new category for Apple, the company is keenly interest in designing products that are personal and wearable every day, as CDO Jony Ive pointed out at the Met Gala in New York earlier in May. It's clear that Apple is seeking to create a product that consumers consider essential and part of their daily lifestyle.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    First of all why should we trust IDC on anything, second cheaper things have higher sales volume? Wow who knew? I'm shocked.
    cornchiplolliverbbvliniirelandbaconstangjony0
  • Reply 2 of 28
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,956member
    Seems a "bit" like a false comparison. Is Watch a fitness band, or a watch with some fitness band functions? I think Watch does more of what a Fitbit does than a Fitbit does of of an Watch. When you add the gold version to the equation, these products are very different. They are not running in the same race, so what place they are in is interesting, but fundamentally meaningless. 
    lolliverapple headirelandcornchipjony0
  • Reply 3 of 28
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Seems a “bit" like a false comparison.
    No, it’s all about innuendo and misdirection. Any article that insinuates a failure by Apple is popular and makes money. Notice the Apple “sneaks in third” in the headline. Of course cheap, single function wearable bands have nothing to do with the Watch but if you can put it in people’s minds that the Watch is a failure because it’s behind something else then so much the better. Like the “smartphone” market the “wearable” market encompasses numerous devices which are not in competition with Apple products, i.e. Fitbits. Apple centric blogs like AI are also popular withe iHater crowd so it pays to throw them a bone now and then.
    edited May 2016 lollivercalidiegog
  • Reply 4 of 28
    slprescottslprescott Posts: 765member
    More bicycles sell than airplanes too, but that has no meaning.

I'm curious about the %-of-category-profit. For smartphones, we've seen the estimate of Apple capturing 94% of the category profit, industry wide. What % of the smart watch category profit has Apple captured? I imagine it's high... at least 60%.
    cornchipradarthekat
  • Reply 5 of 28
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    IDC are just trying to do their best to position their customers in a good light.

For example: Here they'll compare a significantly limited health monitor to a fully featured smartwatch, but they won't compare a tablet computer to a personal computer.

It's also interesting that they'll even bother comparing sales volume in a category with such a massive difference in ASP. You might as well throw in American Apparel's Casio watch sales. Sadly Fitbit is as good as dead - cheap asian manufacturers will eat their low end device sales, and they're technically incapable of competing on the top end with Apple/Samsung/et. al.

By December this year we will be upon the visible symptoms of Fitbit's demise.
    calicornchipradarthekat
  • Reply 6 of 28
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

The real question is how much of FitBit's sales is their SmartWatch devices, like the Surge and that new one, as opposed to the dumber devices like the Charge, Flex, etc? And then, how does that compare to Apple Watch?

Even then, the Surge probably isn't really comparable, since it doesn't have the app ecosystem that Apple Watch (or Android Wear even) has. But it would be a more honest comparison than "Cheap $40 tracker" vs "$500 watch that runs actual apps".

• Reply 7 of 28
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Seems a "bit" like a false comparison. Is Watch a fitness band, or a watch with some fitness band functions? I think Watch does more of what a Fitbit does than a Fitbit does of of an Watch. When you add the gold version to the equation, these products are very different. They are not running in the same race, so what place they are in is interesting, but fundamentally meaningless. 
    This how these marketing companies work. Want to show Apple is doing bad? Add items That are loosely similar to Apple's product even if Apple doesn't compete against them. If that fails, invent some mysterious white box quantities. Still fail? Invent some random market segment. 
    edited May 2016 cornchip
  • Reply 8 of 28
    bbvlinibbvlini Posts: 1member
    A better comparison of apples and pears you would never find. (German adage, but it fits, cause of  , you know)
  • Reply 9 of 28
    My heart is torn. I love Apple, but I love my Fitbit too. The Fitbit Blaze, as I've said in the past, meets my needs better than the Apple Watch could, but I love the Apple Watch too. I am sure that Fitbit made a smart move in attempting to distinguish their products from Apple's, but I would hate to see Apple have to sit on them. All this said, Fitbit haters who have said that Fitbit would be instantly destroyed by the Apple Watch and/or that Fitbit is headed for a steep decline into insignificance: TAKE THAT. ;P
  • Reply 10 of 28
    Yes. They are running a different race. Totally different products. Thank you very much for stating my view. +1
  • Reply 11 of 28
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,721member
    I'm so glad that companies like IDC exist.  Apple would have no clue how many watches they sold, would it not be for IDC's precise data.... ¡
    calicornchip
  • Reply 12 of 28
    This reminds me a lot of how Blackberry did business. Their theory was that people didn't want a device that did more, they wanted one that would do less. The early Blackberry devices (think Leapfrog) did only email and, of course, calls. It was, as I've heard it, awesome. Of course more complex, multi-tasky glowy glass bricky devices won the day, led by iPhone. But Fitbit has tapped into the design idea that made Blackberry so popular: less is more. 

Of course Fitbit and Apple are competing in different markets. Fitbit refuses to call even it's most smart-watchy watch a smart watch.  Fitbit is trying to point out the obvious. Their devices do different things. Fitbit is focusing almost solely on fitness tracking, whereas Apple has made, really, the only true smartwatch on the market. It will be interesting to see how this shakes out. 
    calicornchip
  • Reply 13 of 28
    radster360radster360 Posts: 546member
    Not only it is bad comparison, it is not factual. Apple has not yet broken down Apple Watch from other category - So how does IDC know how many Apple watches were sold. IDC has been caught enough time providing skewed and inaccurate information.
    cali
  • Reply 14 of 28
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    anome said:

The real question is how much of FitBit's sales is their SmartWatch devices, like the Surge and that new one, as opposed to the dumber devices like the Charge, Flex, etc? And then, how does that compare to Apple Watch?

Even then, the Surge probably isn't really comparable, since it doesn't have the app ecosystem that Apple Watch (or Android Wear even) has. But it would be a more honest comparison than "Cheap $40 tracker" vs "$500 watch that runs actual apps".

This is exactly the same question I have.  There's no argument to be made for comparing a FitBt Flex or the $60 belt-worn pedometer (Zip?) to an Apple Watch.  But the Alta has notifications and customizable faces.  The Blaze monitors heart rate, has music control and notifications, color touch screen, and workout programs.  The Surge has GPS and notifications.  Those are probably the devices a potential Apple Watch customer is cross-shopping.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    The competition of AppleWatch vs Blaze and similar products will become interesting when Apple releases AppleWatch 2 and early adopters start selling their first Apple Watch at price points similar to Blaze etc.
    cornchip
  • Reply 16 of 28
    lets criticise Aston Martin for not selling as many DB11s as Ford sells KAs, Fiestas, or Focuses. Different market, different goals. I bought a Xiaomi band out of sheer curiosity - the sub £10 price makes it a throw away item if I don't like it or it doesn't work.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member
    How you can present such data without table? It is not so much of work to make it.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I agree with others. Company a $100 fitness band to a smartwatch that begins from $299 is a foolish game. There are straps for Apple Watch that costs more than Fitbit.
    edited May 2016 michael scripcornchip
  • Reply 19 of 28
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Yes, "dominate", like the $100 dollar Android phone "dominates".... Good grief.
    Guess Apple making 20 times more profits from this is irrelevant.

You know what sells more than the Apple Watch, Makeup, the ultimate wearable (if we are going for nonsense thing to compare).
    cornchipradarthekat
  • Reply 20 of 28
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Maybe Apple should increase the battery life and the independent GPS tracking functionality of its watch given that the market for althletic smart bands seems to be growing.