Foxconn & Pegatron kick off hiring early to cope with Apple's more complex 'iPhone 7' - report

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple's two main assembly partners, Foxconn and Pegatron, are said to have begun extra hiring for iPhone production early this year, allegedly owing to the complexity of the "iPhone 7."

The manufacturers started recruiting at least a month earlier than usual, according to Taiwan's Economic Daily News, quoted by CNBC. In the case of Foxconn, it was reportedly the first time in two years that Foxconn began hiring in the Chinese mainland in May.

The extended time will be used not just to get a headstart on production, but to provide workers with the increased training needed to deal with Apple's design, EDN said.

It's not clear in what way the "iPhone 7" might be so complex as to require a longer production cycle, since the standard 4.7-inch model is expected to be largely similar to the iPhone 6s, albeit with better internals, relocated antenna bands, and the possibility of it ditching a 3.5-millimeter headphone jack. If it is fully waterproof, as some rumors have claimed, that could be one explanation.

Another is the "7 Plus," which may have a dual-lens camera and even a Smart Connector on top of other improvements. Dual-lens cameras are still rare in the smartphone world, and Apple's Smart Connector format has so far only been used on the iPad Pro line.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    By "more complex" I hope they also mean harder to copy.
    brian greenigorskycornchiplolliver
  • Reply 2 of 25
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Not early enough.
    I mean, heck... Why is there still a 2-3 week wait for the SE?

Is Apple still “ramping-up” production on their 9 month old A9 processor? No? How about on their 4 year old case? No? Maybe it’s the anodized beveled edge vs. the polished beveled edge that has thrown them for a loop?

brian greencnocbui
  • Reply 3 of 25
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    bobschlob said:
    Not early enough.

Is Apple still “ramping-up” production on their 9 month old A9 processor? No? How about on their 4 year old case? No? Maybe it’s the anodized beveled edge vs. the polished beveled edge that has thrown them for a loop?

SE production will never be a priority. It is a niche product.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    Everyone that has been freaking out about how boring the 7 is supposed to be is going to feel pretty silly. 

I doubt Foxconn is hiring extra people to handle the extreme boringness. 
    caliigorskylolliver
  • Reply 5 of 25
    jcdinkinsjcdinkins Posts: 114member
    bobschlob said:
    Not early enough.

Please provide your expertise on expediting a 50 million unit manufacturing process.
    mike1caliigorskyjbishop1039ai46aylkcornchiplolliver
  • Reply 6 of 25
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Based on gossip I was ready to forgo iP 7 if it proved to be a half hearted upgrade. If it delivers innovations I'll upgrade to iP 7. If it's cosmetic, I won't.
    hjmnl
  • Reply 7 of 25
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    jcdinkins said:
    bobschlob said:
    Not early enough.

Please provide your expertise on expediting a 50 million unit manufacturing process.
    As far as we know there's nothing really new with the SE from a manufacturing standpoint. One would assume they kept the iPhone 5 design for a reason and it's not because they're lazy.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member

larrya said:
    bobschlob said:
    Not early enough.

Seems pretty clear Apple underestimated demand for this product. Especially in countries outside of China.
    baconstangcalijbishop1039lolliver
  • Reply 9 of 25
    LoneStar88LoneStar88 Posts: 325member
    jakeb said:
    Everyone that has been freaking out about how boring the 7 is supposed to be is going to feel pretty silly. 

I doubt Foxconn is hiring extra people to handle the extreme boringness. 
    I doubt if they have enough sense to feel silly about being stupid and boring themselves in their respective dreary existences. After all, how low can anyone go to stoop to saying bad things about a good company for pay?
    cali
  • Reply 10 of 25
    LoneStar88LoneStar88 Posts: 325member

larrya said:
    Seems pretty clear Apple underestimated demand for this product. Especially in countries outside of China.
    It's far better to UNDER estimate demand for a new product than to OVER estimate it.
    igorskyai46retrogustocornchiplolliverurahara
  • Reply 11 of 25
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    larrya said:
    bobschlob said:
    Not early enough.

Please provide your expertise on why a sold out high demand iPhone is a "niche" product.

mj web said:
    Based on gossip I was ready to forgo iP 7 if it proved to be a half hearted upgrade. If it delivers innovations I'll upgrade to iP 7. If it's cosmetic, I won't.
    Just because you or the Apple hating media can't think of anything innovative doesn't mean Apple can't either.

I swear I read this every year: "The next iPhone won't have anything new besides specs".
    edited May 2016 igorskycornchiplolliver
  • Reply 12 of 25
    jcdinkinsjcdinkins Posts: 114member
    MAYBE...and this is a big maybe I know it's a stretch.  Maybe it's because they are building 3 phones instead of 2...
    jax44cornchip
  • Reply 13 of 25
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 755member
    mj web said:

Great.  Please provide us with factors that will increase your chances of going to the bathroom.
    ai46lolliver
  • Reply 14 of 25
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    mj web said:
    People like you throw around the “innovation” word a lot. Care to elaborate? And don’t refer to better battery life, improved screen resolution, increased camera megapixels, cutesy bezels, and so forth as innovations. They are NOT. Real innovations are something like 3D Touch, which we are told that Google is delaying support for because of hardware OEM issues. There’s not much left to do in the smartphone market other than simply improving and shrinking the existing technology, which is NOT innovation. That’s evolution. Current reports also say that the FM radio chips in most of the smartphones out there may be turned on soon by the carriers. That’s NOT innovation either.
    bobschlobai46igorskycornchiplolliver
  • Reply 15 of 25
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    jcdinkins said:
    bobschlob said:
    Not early enough.

Why? Is Apple that desperate to find those experts? (sure seems like it, judging by the amount of trouble they're having with the SE)
    singularity
  • Reply 16 of 25
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    For now iphone SE is only phone available in a smaller footprint, well designed with excellent and built and with very high functionalities, This was bound to happen. It just cut into larger iphone sale by helping upgrade those still with 4S/5/5S/5C. 
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 17 of 25
    razormaidrazormaid Posts: 299member
    Meow!  <scratch> ... It appears some of you woke up a bit fiesty today. LOL 
    cornchiplolliver
  • Reply 18 of 25
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 755member
    lkrupp said:
    mj web said:
    Real innovations are something like 3D Touch, which we are told that Google is delaying support for because of hardware OEM issues. There’s not much left to do in the smartphone market other than simply improving and shrinking the existing technology, which is NOT innovation. That’s evolution. Current reports also say that the FM radio chips in most of the smartphones out there may be turned on soon by the carriers. That’s NOT innovation either.

Also add ultra performance, in-house designed 64-bit chips to that list. Competitors have yet to match series A performance after years of trying.
    bobschlobcornchiplolliver
  • Reply 19 of 25
    bellsbells Posts: 140member
    bobschlob said:
    Not early enough.

Maybe because Apple has to estimate demand.  This is so it can order parts. The worst thing to do is over order parts. So Apple is conservative.

Apple has had to take a couple hundred million dollar write off in the past for overestimating and having to eat the cost of over production.

Cook has stated publicly Apple under estimated demand. That explains the delay.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    So the reports (i.e. "fabrications") from the typical story-spinners that said shops like Foxconn were struggling with slowing iPhone sales turned out to be just another example come total and complete horseshit?
    cornchiplolliver