buy or wait (till when?)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm currently using a G3/350MHz/192Mb with system 9.0 and a cable internet connection (theoretical speed approx. 450 kps). Should I wait a bit more for the new powermac or just buy a G4 933. My main objective is to speed up internusage. Could you give me an indication of the subjective speedincrease?

Pim

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Purchasing advice goes in General Discussion.

Moving there now...
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I am using a system very similar to yours.. I own a PB G3 333mhz with 128mb RAM, a DSL connection and OS X.1.5.. Sure, my system is not at ideal speeds, but it gets the job done, quite well, I might add..

I would wait to buy a new PowerMac until the new PM's are unveiled.. If I wanted to buy a computer that is no longer top of the line in a month, I would buy a PC.. Have patience, cos If your G3 is anything like mine, it can't be that bad.. I bet its not bad at all..
  • Reply 3 of 4
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    [quote]Originally posted by pim_fortuyn:

<strong>I'm currently using a G3/350MHz/192Mb with system 9.0 and a cable internet connection (theoretical speed approx. 450 kps). Should I wait a bit more for the new powermac or just buy a G4 933. My main objective is to speed up internusage. Could you give me an indication of the subjective speedincrease?

Pim </strong><hr></blockquote>

i don't think a new comp will have a noticeable difference on your inet usage. i use a g3/350/192 (hey, exactly the same as you, what are the odds), with os-x, and i get the same or better inet speeds than my friend with a g4/933/256 [me and him both have cable modems]. cable modems dont really maxxx out the ethernet card as is, so even if there is a new one, it wont make a difference.

so, my suggestion, if ur only concern is inet usage, dont waste ur money on a new comp. maybe look into a new browser (mozilla is one of the fastest, and is standards-compliant).

on the other hand, all comps ship with osx as the default booting OS, which at first, is slower than os9 (or was for me). i dont know if jaguar (osx 10.2) is still slower than os9, but 10.0 was (last time i tried os9 i was still using osx10.0, so its the only comparison i know).
  • Reply 4 of 4
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    if you really need a new compu then get it. when u need it.