Keychain files

Posted:
in Genius Bar

My computer create an obscene amount of files in the keychain folder into the users library named like this: "login.keychain.sb-9e48b476-l1diRf"  each is 13 MB which when you have thusands is several GB of space.  , Also create folders call: FA9205C5-D19D-5417-8A41-2D6A4BB01869 

I notice that I run out of space I couldn't figure out why until I get to this folder  user/library/keychain I check my wife computer and she have only 16 files inside that folder  I had 22 thousand so I deleted most and I got 240 GB of space I had to put some passwords again but I check other peoples Macs and they only have 16 or 20 files. After I deleted I go and check the folder again and my computer produce every time I reboot hundreds of files that I have to delete all the time.

If anyone here maybe knows what make the computer over produce these files.

Thanks
Hernan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    sunpacy said:

My computer create an obscene amount of files in the keychain folder into the users library named like this: "login.keychain.sb-9e48b476-l1diRf"  each is 13 MB which when you have thusands is several GB of space.  , Also create folders call: FA9205C5-D19D-5417-8A41-2D6A4BB01869 

I notice that I run out of space I couldn't figure out why until I get to this folder  user/library/keychain I check my wife computer and she have only 16 files inside that folder  I had 22 thousand so I deleted most and I got 240 GB of space I had to put some passwords again but I check other peoples Macs and they only have 16 or 20 files. After I deleted I go and check the folder again and my computer produce every time I reboot hundreds of files that I have to delete all the time.

If anyone here maybe knows what make the computer over produce these files.

Thanks
    Hernan

It's harder to check what process is doing it if they are created on reboot. If they are created while using the system, you can open a terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal) and type:

sudo opensnoop

Then hit return and it will monitor everything the system does. If you delete the files and then use the system for a while and something is putting them back, that will log it and you can search through the log.

You can also have a look through your console logs in /Applications/Utilities/Console, searching for items containing keychain. Open the left sidebar with 'show log list' if it's not open and click through the logs.

Another thing to try would be running Keychain First Aid by opening /Applications/Utilities/Keychain and it's in the Keychain Access menu.