Apple's Tim Cook attends dinner party with Bollywood celebrities

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2016
In the middle of his ongoing trip to India, Apple CEO Tim Cook attended a dinner party on Wednesday night hosted by actor/producer Shah Rukh Khan, where several other Bollywood celebrities were also present.

Among these were members of the famous Bachchan family, including Amitabh, Jaya, Abhishek, and Aishwarya, Rediff said on Thursday. Some others were actor/director Aamir Khan, and musician A.R. Rahman, best known to Western audiences for his soundtrack to Slumdog Millionaire.

The party was hosted at Khan's bungalow. Photos show Cook arriving at the event, and later posing with guests.

The CEO is on a whirlwind tour of India, negotiating business deals and participating in various other meetings. The trip should culimnate this Saturday in a talk with Prime Minister Narendra Modi. Apple has simultaneously used the tour to announce a Design and Development Accelerator in Bengaluru, and an Apple Maps development office in Hyderabad.

Cook has identified India as an important market for Apple, given its size and untapped profit potential. The iPhone has struggled to gain more than a 2 percent share of the local smartphone market though, something Cook has suggested could improve once new 4G networks go live in the region later this year. The main issue is likely price, since most smartphones sold in India cost $150 or less, and even Apple's latest "budget" iPhone -- the iPhone SE -- is almost four times as expensive.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Does Apple have their own corporate jet that they can use when flying around the world?

I would assume so. If they do, then how come we have never seen any pictures or articles about it. Does it have Apple logos on it?
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 2 of 8
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 226member
    apple ][ said:
    Does Apple have their own corporate jet that they can use when flying around the world?

I would assume so. If they do, then how come we have never seen any pictures or articles about it. Does it have Apple logos on it?
    The one Steve Jobs had went to Ive, no? Perhaps they share it?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    JI does own it at least as of a couple years ago. He wanted the company to give it to him and I believe they said no so he bought it himself  I don't think it has any logos. Corporate jets are easy enough  to lease. I don't know why you would want to own one. There are plenty of good independent pilots out there. But I guess JI had designed the interior for Steve? Maybe he was attached. 
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 4 of 8
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    A.R. Rahman!!
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 5 of 8
    More on topic. I hope cook had a better experience than I did traveling in India. The "suburban" getaway region "near" Mumbai is very remote and the roads are horrendous. Beyond horrendous. Honking, banging, clanging, rattling, shouting, vehicles that don't require inspections. India is not for westerners. I say somewhat jokingly because I'm a pretty good sport and the experience was definitely an assault on the senses/ a test in patience. 150 miles takes four hours in a tin can of a car. Even the best cars in India are garbage with ZERO suspension. Apologies for offloading. There are things I loved about India and things I will never forget.
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 6 of 8
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    JI does own it at least as of a couple years ago. He wanted the company to give it to him and I believe they said no so he bought it himself  I don't think it has any logos. Corporate jets are easy enough  to lease. I don't know why you would want to own one. There are plenty of good independent pilots out there. But I guess JI had designed the interior for Steve? Maybe he was attached. 
    As far as I know that was Steve Jobs personal plane not an Apple corporate plane. Steve's wife sold it to Jony.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,312moderator
    apple ][ said:

The following site says Steve Jobs got his jet as a bonus from Apple and it was registered as N2N. This was sold to Ive, given a different registration and Apple bought another newer model to replace it using the N2N registration:

http://airplanelife.blogspot.com/2014/09/steve-jobs-private-jet-n2n-gulfstream.html

Steve Jobs' plane looked like this:

It is now registered N586GV and owned by Jony Ive:

The replacement N2N is a newer model with more windows shown in the following video:

Tim Cook has also taken chartered flights, they just hire a private jet for a specific trip:

Apple might own more than one private jet, they'll likely work out whether hiring or using one of their own jets is most cost-effective for each journey. A single international chartered flight can be as much as $100k so that adds up pretty quickly.
    edited May 2016 apple ][JanNL
  • Reply 8 of 8
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Marvin said:
    apple ][ said:

The following site says Steve Jobs got his jet as a bonus from Apple and it was registered as N2N. This was sold to Ive, given a different registration and Apple bought another newer model to replace it using the N2N registration:

http://airplanelife.blogspot.com/2014/09/steve-jobs-private-jet-n2n-gulfstream.html

Steve Jobs' plane looked like this:

It is now registered N586GV and owned by Jony Ive:

The replacement N2N is a newer model with more windows shown in the following video:

Tim Cook has also taken chartered flights, they just hire a private jet for a specific trip:

Apple might own more than one private jet, they'll likely work out whether hiring or using one of their own jets is most cost-effective for each journey. A single international chartered flight can be as much as $100k so that adds up pretty quickly.
    Good info! Thanks!
    edited May 2016